follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
aemravan

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wife's Resurrected '13 FR-S

I am finally at a point where I feel like I can share some half-decent pictures of my wife's 2013 FR-S we bought for her last summer from copart in FL.

It was a total with some heavy front-end damage that came just above the front reinforcement bar. The damage wasn't as bad as it looked.. especially considering I found (what turned out to be a series 10) front half fully delivered to me via flat-bed.

Fun fact.. I didn't realize I had a series 10 front half until late first night when I walked out into the garage and realized the cars were 2 different colors. The idea originally was to swap over all the parts and not have to paint. That quickly went down the drain But there was silver lining. The front clip had damage on the hood, bumper and 1 fender, I ended up getting a partial refund and used the money to pay my brother who does body work to paint the entire front clip fresh

The body rebuild went VERY fast and if it wasn't for the mismatched color, and the engine story that followed, I would have had the car finished start to end in literally 2 weekends.

Another fun fact. It wasn't after my engine developed a sudden misfire (i have a lengthy post going through my brain-wrecking troubleshooting I went through to find my problem after I took it to the gas station to fill up after the body came together) I would not have known about the valve spring recall on the '13 models lol.

Long story short:
-rebuilt body, took for a test drive
-stopped at gas station to fill up.
-went to turn car on, VERY bad mis-fire, barely got it home
-spent 3 weeks troubleshooting electrical, fuel, direct injection seal, etc.
-called toyota about recall, they said COME ON BY!
-after towing the car to dealer, 2 weeks of back and forth, the recall was denied work.
-I said f**K it, i'll do it myself. went and got car back
-bought all parts, brought car home and pulled engine
-opened heads to find out that a broken-off piece of factory intake box wedged itself between valve and head, allowing the rocker to fall off and partially jam the valve open
-surprisingly 0 damage down to anything
-put in new springs, drop engine back into car, everything fires up.
-15 minutes of idling to burp radiator, something starts knocking, BAD
-all life sucked out of me, i leave the car for another day and decide I have to pull the motor to see what I screwed up.
-pull out motor, 2 hours, and find that engine is fine, top idler pulley bearing fried because I put the concave washer on backwards and did not allow it to spin
-put engine back and 6k miles later everything is still driving fine with a good oil analysis from blackstone labs

With novel out of the way, here are some of the things currently done to the car:
-Series 10 OEM Headlights
-Series 10 OEM foglights
-OLM VL Style carbon taillights
-Takeda Intake
-Nvidia N2 cat-back exhaust with titanium tips
-Stage 1 tune via OFT v1
-Tein Lowering Springs
-GSC 4th Brake light
-Duraflex modellista-style front bumper with custom carbon fiber center in-lay
-Duraflex modellista-style side/rear skirts
-Carbon fiber fender garnish
-Carbon Fiber duckbill spoiler

I just have to spend some quality time with my wife and have her practice pulling in and out of the driveway to not destroy the lip
Other than that, the car has been an absolute joy to drive, and this is coming from someone who owns a '95 single turbo supra making close to 500rwhp.

Next up will be wheels. I have my old set of xxr527 that used to be on my supra which will be going on the FRS hopefully by end of this month with some rear lower adjustable control arms to get the 9.75" wide wheel to tuck

Last week I told my wife "hey.. you know they make V8 swap kits for your car" to which she replied "oh yea? can we do it, can we do it??" I love my wife. lol. But after some calculating, I think she'll be better suited with a simple stage1 turbo or supercharge kit that won't run us 7-10k out of pocket for an automatic daily driver lol.

Thanks for reading and enjoy!
Attached Images

aemravan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to aemravan For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-14-2020), jflogerzi (05-18-2020), Joveen (05-14-2020), KMA KiCKz (05-15-2020), Opie (05-18-2020), Rampage (05-19-2020), soundman98 (05-16-2020), Ultramaroon (05-17-2020), weederr33 (05-18-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 03:35 PM   #2
Copy

Drives: BRZ
That looks great!
Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Copy For This Useful Post:
aemravan (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 10:34 PM   #3
aemravan

Ended up with a possibility to get the tires for my left over xxr 527s from the supra sooner than expected.

The godspeed lca with adjustable camber also arrived 3 days sooner than expected so I spent a little time with a fender roller I borrowed from my brother to get the car prepared in the rear.

I'll have more detail info on fitment and what it took to make these work soon, but for the time being, supra fitment wheels on the frs are definitely on the aggressive side of things 18x8.75+20 front with a 225 35 18 tire, 18x9.75+20 rear with a 235 35 18 tire.

I'll hopefully find out tomorrow how it looks if the tires can be mounted.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 05-18-2020, 10:37 PM   #4
aemravan

This is what they looked like on the supra a few years back

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk