follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2024, 06:27 PM   #9913
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,244 Times in 8,612 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strange weather here in Idaho. Going to get pretty warm Thursday night.
Attached Images

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-06-2024)
Old 02-06-2024, 08:00 PM   #9914
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
You sure they didn't just leave the "-" off of it?

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:23 PM   #9915
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Name:  KCF.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  75.4 KB
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (02-07-2024), pope (02-06-2024), Spuds (02-06-2024), Ultramaroon (02-06-2024), wolffbite (02-07-2024), x808drifter (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:25 AM   #9916
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
someone's trying to warn us

Old 02-07-2024, 06:59 AM   #9917
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I got sort of a stupid question, but I've been trying to wrap my head around it.

I've been practicing trail braking on the simulator in order to clip the apex and keep momentum going. But the way that I've been doing it, is by braking with my left foot. Press down, slowly ease off, while my right foot stays about 10-20% on the gas, gradually increasing as I come off the turn.

I haven't done it in a real application, because is just not justifiable on the public road. I'm thinking more for the track.

My thinking is, since LFB is not easy due to pedal position, how do those of you, more experienced drivers trail brake? Is it just a faster movement of the right foot between the brake and gas? To a degree that you're heel-to-toe-ing at a certain point?
Old 02-07-2024, 10:09 AM   #9918
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I got sort of a stupid question, but I've been trying to wrap my head around it.

I've been practicing trail braking on the simulator in order to clip the apex and keep momentum going. But the way that I've been doing it, is by braking with my left foot. Press down, slowly ease off, while my right foot stays about 10-20% on the gas, gradually increasing as I come off the turn.

I haven't done it in a real application, because is just not justifiable on the public road. I'm thinking more for the track.

My thinking is, since LFB is not easy due to pedal position, how do those of you, more experienced drivers trail brake? Is it just a faster movement of the right foot between the brake and gas? To a degree that you're heel-to-toe-ing at a certain point?
I wouldn't say I'm much more experienced but I'll give it a shot.

Trail braking is useful in shifting the weight of the car onto the front axle to get the steering to bite more and rotate the rear more due to less weight on the rear.

If in a rwd car, pressing the gas at the same time as the brake will just move your brake bias forward a bit, which taxes the front wheels more and the rear less which seems counterintuitive to me.

I don't lfb (AX), I just use the brake right footed, then switch to gas as necessary. Let off the brake completely once initial turn in is set then control rotation through the latter 60%-70% with the gas. My car gets some lift off oversteer on some of the more track-like corners anyway so I don't have to trail brake there.

Probably doing it wrong but it works for me.
Old 02-07-2024, 04:48 PM   #9919
spcmafia

Pretty sure chocolate milk isn’t supposed to come out of a catch can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2024, 05:26 PM   #9920
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Pretty sure chocolate milk isn’t supposed to come out of a catch can.
Yes, it is. That's what it looks like when saturated with water (combustion by-product).

That's also why it's best to get the crankcase oil up to operating temp. Catch-can contents are an extreme example, but...
Old 02-07-2024, 05:35 PM   #9921
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Yes, it is. That's what it looks like when saturated with water (combustion by-product).

That's also why it's best to get the crankcase oil up to operating temp. Catch-can contents are an extreme example, but...

Interesting, after further research it seems it’s working as intended. I always drive in the cold mornings only after the car has gotten up to temp, when driving home I keep the revs and shifts low until the car has gotten up to temp too.

Rather have all that in the can rather than the manifold.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:09 PM   #9922
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Interesting, after further research it seems it’s working as intended. I always drive in the cold mornings only after the car has gotten up to temp, when driving home I keep the revs and shifts low until the car has gotten up to temp too.

Rather have all that in the can rather than the manifold.
Meh... Consider how many miles it took to collect that, what, 20 ml? It's fine either way.
Old 02-07-2024, 06:21 PM   #9923
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,325 Times in 7,383 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I trail brake right footed in my car. Most corners you have to downshift for on track so left foot braking doesn’t really work. I don’t find LFB comfortable in the car, even with smallish feet the pedal box is kind of small. Sim, I exclusively LFB since no clutch.

Trail braking is just a natural phase of braking on track. You get on the brakes before a corner and you transfer all that weight to the front tires. Popping off the pedal suddenly unloads the fronts and induces understeer. Trail braking reduces that.

I don’t really find LFB that useful. There are a couple double apex corners I will use it, as Spuds said, usually to transfer a bit of weight to the front of the car. Sometimes there are high speed corners where I need to give it a brush of the brake pedal but that’s about it.
spcmafia (02-08-2024), Spuds (02-07-2024)
Old 02-07-2024, 07:05 PM   #9924
spcmafia

Quote:
Meh... Consider how many miles it took to collect that, what, 20 ml? It's fine either way.

Took about a year and half actually. So about 20K miles or less since I only do an oil change twice a year.
Old 02-07-2024, 10:24 PM   #9925
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,448 Times in 964 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
When I was working at the race school we taught trail braking after students had learned to blip on downshifts. It’s easier to use the “roll your ankle” technique to tail brake if you’d just used it to down shift before turn in. Although we taught both LFB and RFB most stuck with the right foot technique in the slower, tighter turns. Some used the left foot to balance the car in high speed turns or to cheat a little in the kink. We told everyone to lift in the kink but every year some would try to take it flat. Wrecked more than a few cars that way. So, the fast guys figured out that if they dragged the brakes with their left foot while their right foot was still planted it slowed the car enough to make it without dropping too many revs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I trail brake right footed in my car. Most corners you have to downshift for on track so left foot braking doesn’t really work. I don’t find LFB comfortable in the car, even with smallish feet the pedal box is kind of small. < snip >
As for small pedal boxes the Twins have huge space compared to my “new to me” 30 year old Super Seven.
Attached Images

Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-08-2024), Spuds (02-08-2024), x808drifter (02-08-2024)
Old 02-08-2024, 09:19 AM   #9926
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
And when it collects faster, it's oil, no water. Have had it happen a couple times at events, must be down to specifics in the course layout.
Ultramaroon (02-08-2024)

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money