follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2022, 09:35 AM   #29
PBR

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited 6 speed manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
I'll repeat my Cayman example, as your description can easily apply when discussing 987 vs 981 or 981 vs 982 (well, except the downsized turbo engines).

Objectively, the second gen is superior in almost any way to the first gen (the weight gain is somewhat more than advertised, since they removed the spare tire), I'm not arguing with that. I also never said it's not the better sports car.

What I am trying to share is my personal subjective experience. Could it be that my mods are the reason for that? Or perhaps my nostalgia to my first drive in my BRZ colored my impressions? All might be true. I still feel that this is a useful experience to share with other people.

I had a 987 and a 997.1. Prefer those over 982/718/991/992. I don't believe this is the same thing. Those took a bigger step towards luxury. The '22, to me? Is like if you took a Gen 1 to a serous tuner shop and they gave you back a better, more refined and performance oriented skunkworks version with major manufacturer quality. That is my opinion and I'll leave it at that. Y'all enjoy your day. And agree. We are all biased. My '13 had 50K miles in it when I bought it. But I do know I prefer my '22. And by quite a bit.

Last edited by PBR; 05-05-2022 at 10:52 AM.
PBR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PBR For This Useful Post:
CincyJohn (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:44 AM   #30
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,691 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Nice to see a comparison, and a voiced opinion. The best thing about enjoying your current car is that it will save you the hassle of changing vehicles. I had actually contemplated leaving my 2013 and modding a newer 2017+ but found that I didn't enjoy the newer car as much, I prefer the barebones feel of the 2013 FRS.

It's all preference, and that's what makes cars exciting for most of us enthusiasts!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (05-10-2022), PBR (05-05-2022), Quagmire (05-13-2022), Tcoat (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 09:58 AM   #31
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And if you want a factory spec boy racer body style then the 22 is certainly for you!
I have no problem with people preferring one to the other (for whatever reason) or the looks of one for the other (for whatever reason).

HOWEVER, coming from a 2020 (with JDL UEL, and OFT 2+ on e85), I will agree with one of the comments above and one I have made myself about it- everything about the new car/style is less ricer/racer boy and more "adult" in my opinion. Interior, exterior - all of it.

I loved my 2020 - but I always felt a little bit like an old man driving a 20 year old's car. The three biggest reasons were the rear spoiler, the crazy fake side vents (still haven't seen anybody do anything with those that don't take it from bad to worse), and the boobs/U indentation on the hood. All fixed.

Heck, even the thing I didn't understand in pictures (the "shelf" over the glove box) makes SOOOO much sense when you are in the car. It gives some depth to the interior that didn't exist before.

In any event, while I have no issues with your problems with the looks of the new gen, racer boy is the last thing that comes to mind when I (and most others) look at it - at least not compared to first gen.

BTW, not sure if it is the new gen, the color, or the fact that most people have never seen a Gen 2 (not that Gen 1s were "common") but in 1000 miles I have already got more complements, notices, and people on the highway slowing down to get a better look, than I ever did in the Gen 1.
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
PBR (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:01 AM   #32
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Both are still great cars and if my 1st gen was a write-off, I’d likely be shopping around for a 2nd gen.

But to me not EVERYTHING is better about the 2nd gen, some things definitely are, but things like connectedness and steering feel aren’t IMO.

My perfect version of the BRZ/86 would probably be a blending of the 2 to be honest.

1st gen looks, steering, analog gauges and indicator stalks.

2nd gen engine, gear box and interior, minus the digital gauges and indicator stalks.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dirty Harry For This Useful Post:
Ernest72 (05-05-2022), jongers (05-05-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (05-05-2022), PBR (05-05-2022), Quagmire (05-13-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:07 AM   #33
Tcoat
Donít deal well with dumb

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 103,913 Times in 44,933 Posts
Mentioned: 2439 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I have no problem with people preferring one to the other (for whatever reason) or the looks of one for the other (for whatever reason).

HOWEVER, coming from a 2020 (with JDL UEL, and OFT 2+ on e85), I will agree with one of the comments above and one I have made myself about it- everything about the new car/style is less ricer/racer boy and more "adult" in my opinion. Interior, exterior - all of it.

I loved my 2020 - but I always felt a little bit like an old man driving a 20 year old's car. The three biggest reasons were the rear spoiler, the crazy fake side vents (still haven't seen anybody do anything with those that don't take it from bad to worse), and the boobs/U indentation on the hood. All fixed.

Heck, even the thing I didn't understand in pictures (the "shelf" over the glove box) makes SOOOO much sense when you are in the car. It gives some depth to the interior that didn't exist before.

In any event, while I have no issues with your problems with the looks of the new gen, racer boy is the last thing that comes to mind when I (and most others) look at it - at least not compared to first gen.

BTW, not sure if it is the new gen, the color, or the fact that most people have never seen a Gen 2 (not that Gen 1s were "common") but in 1000 miles I have already got more complements, notices, and people on the highway slowing down to get a better look, than I ever did in the Gen 1.
Color plays a BIG part in that. The Hakone color draws middle-aged women like moths to a flame! I get many times more comments than I did even with the Lava.
Most people would not even notice the difference between gens if it was white black or silver.
CincyJohn (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:19 AM   #34
CincyJohn

Quote:
Color plays a BIG part in that. The Hakone color draws middle-aged women like moths to a flame! I get many times more comments than I did even with the Lava.
Most people would not even notice the difference between gens if it was white black or silver.
Not going to deny that the color is a big part. And it is hard for me to divorce my own personal feelings/experience/knowledge from that of third parties. Having said that, every time I have seen a second gen on the road, it has been very instant and noticeable to me (and I have only seen a white and a black - both GR86's).

Of course, if I ever see a Hakone on the road (only saw one once in a dealership), I would be doing the whole slowing down thing - and I am not a middle-aged woman (or at least if I am, I haven't figured it out yet) - so there's that.
The Following User Says Thank You to CincyJohn For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:23 AM   #35
quikag

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited 6MT - Ignition Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post

Totally agree!! I started to comment on the "boy racer Gen 2" comment, but deleted it as I figured not worth explaining. You did it instead.

As a mid 40's car enthusiast, I honestly wouldn't and didn't ever consider the Gen 1. The Gen 2 grew up and improved all the deficiencies of the Gen 1 along with more "mature" styling, that I have no problem driving around town with a big smile plastered on my face.

I've had a GT4, 991.2 GT3, also currently have a C6 ZR1 (owned since new), CT5-V Blackwing, Raptor, Lexus LX, etc. The '22 BRZ is probably the most fun car driving around town out of all the cars I've owned in the last 10 years. It's just a blast to toss around town.
quikag is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quikag For This Useful Post:
CincyJohn (05-05-2022), PBR (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:51 AM   #36
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
I had a 987 and a 997.1. Prefer those over 982/718/991/992. I don't believe this is the same thing. Those took a bigger step towards luxury.
For sure the difference is bigger in the Porsches, but I think it does illustrate my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBR View Post
The '22, to me? Is like if you took a Gen 1 to a serous tuner shop and they gave you back a better, more refined and performance oriented skunkworks version.
I completely agree with this statement, but the bolded part is exactly my point - for some "more refined" is a good thing. For others it is not. I'm in the latter camp.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
PBR (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #37
Tcoat
Donít deal well with dumb

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 103,913 Times in 44,933 Posts
Mentioned: 2439 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quikag View Post
Totally agree!! I started to comment on the "boy racer Gen 2" comment, but deleted it as I figured not worth explaining. You did it instead.

As a mid 40's car enthusiast, I honestly wouldn't and didn't ever consider the Gen 1. The Gen 2 grew up and improved all the deficiencies of the Gen 1 along with more "mature" styling, that I have no problem driving around town with a big smile plastered on my face.

I've had a GT4, 991.2 GT3, also currently have a C6 ZR1 (owned since new), CT5-V Blackwing, Raptor, Lexus LX, etc. The '22 BRZ is probably the most fun car driving around town out of all the cars I've owned in the last 10 years. It's just a blast to toss around town.
Grew up?
Looks like a half finished body kit that an 18 year put on and ran out of money after the doors. There is nothing "mature" about this.

But then I am just some idiot that likes the cleaner uncluttered lines of the first gen and should not have any say or opinion.

If you have owned all those cars in the last 10 years then you will probably be moving onto something new in a month or two!
Dzmitry (05-10-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #38
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 1,763 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Heres how i look at it:

13-16 first gen = A 20 year old teenager.
17-20 first gen refresh = A 30 year old young adult.
22+ second gen = A 35+ year old adult.

That's how i feel the cars "matured" over time.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
DylanJZA (05-05-2022), PBR (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:26 AM   #39
JusTheG

Drives: 2017 Subaru Forester 2.5L Premium
Quote:
Grew up?
Looks like a half finished body kit that an 18 year put on and ran out of money after the doors. There is nothing "mature" about this.

But then I am just some idiot that likes the cleaner uncluttered lines of the first gen and should not have any say or opinion.
I honestly don't blame anyone who has gripes with how engineers approach design as most designers and developers will pursue structural changes and company expectations vs. maintaining a clean design philosophy. The best example is how the FT-1 design was taken by Toyota and then having to sacrifice a lot of aesthetic decisions based on the wheelbase and the chassis they chose for the GR Supra. It's a tough call, but most times designers will seek the design that is most ideal for safety and cost mitigation vs clean aesthetic.

That being said, I think Subaru had to design the car with enough feedback from track usage and with new safety requirements for rear collision zones. No other way I can see the side vents and side sill being integrated without some disruption to the GEN 1 clean rear body panel sweep. I am also one to not entirely like the front bumper separation between the molded plastic and the painted divider, but I can see how they can use it for air deflection for drag coefficients. Rear bumper obviously had to rise in its angle for collision zones and thus looks more angled than smooth like GEN 1.

Regardless, I really wish I could drive the GEN 2 like back in November because of how well that Manual drove. Now that I work from home, I'm debating what to do with my stress relief. Might need to have talk with the SO about a possible investment "strategy" for my stress.
JusTheG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JusTheG For This Useful Post:
PBR (05-06-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:33 AM   #40
CincyJohn

Quote:
Grew up?

If you have owned all those cars in the last 10 years then you will probably be moving onto something new in a month or two!
What's fucking "mature" and "clean and uncluttered" about fake side vents and a spoiler that looks like it was stolen from a Hot Wheels car? And don't get me started about that "uncluttered" U-shaped crease on the hood and the Ford Probe-esque boobs on the side.
Old 05-05-2022, 12:21 PM   #41
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ (ordered)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Wow, lots of hurt feelings in here. Both generations are great. That we are able to compare the two is a blessing from the car gods.

I've owned a 2013 FR-S and a 2018 BRZ, both awesome cars. I have a 22 BRZ on order. I don't see any reason to doubt it won't also be great, if not a little different.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike2100 For This Useful Post:
bcj (05-05-2022), Ohio Enthusiast (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:42 PM   #42
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
The interior is miles and miles better now. It’s not even in the same universe. The way the door closes the soft close, the better quality soft touch plastics the leather quality the seat quality the bezels I can go on and on. Again as someone who had several of the prior generations this is a car that I can take my girlfriend out to dinner and not be embarrassed when we valet it in front of other people. Like why is this dude driving his sons car. I don’t even have any kids but you know that was a thought.