follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
womachris
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: 2013 frs
Location: va beach
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
hoodstruts

I don't understand why hoodshocks won't work on my car and could use some input. I have a 2013 frs in ultramarine. I've gone through two sets of 86Speed hoodshocks and two sets of Grimmspeed hoodshocks, none of which will hold up my OEM hood. I'm at a loss and don't get it. Are there different factory hoods and mine weighs more or something? They have been installed correctly. Is there something i'm missing?
womachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:25 PM   #2
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,979
Thanks: 27,193
Thanked 29,918 Times in 15,748 Posts
Mentioned: 687 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by womachris View Post
I don't understand why hoodshocks won't work on my car and could use some input. I have a 2013 frs in ultramarine. I've gone through two sets of 86Speed hoodshocks and two sets of Grimmspeed hoodshocks, none of which will hold up my OEM hood. I'm at a loss and don't get it. Are there different factory hoods and mine weighs more or something? They have been installed correctly. Is there something i'm missing?
Hello womachris and welcome to our forum ..

It's my understanding that all the 2013 FR-S hoods weigh about the same.

So, if the hood struts don't work, I figure either you got a batch of bad ones (unlikely) or they aren't the right ones for your car, or they are being installed improperly (most likely).

You may wish to look this over and check your work.

http://www.grimmspeed.com/content/in...ne_version.pdf

I hope you get em to work.



humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:01 PM   #3
womachris
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: 2013 frs
Location: va beach
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Humfrz, thank you.

Yeah, i watched the video a couple times before install. Double checked afterward as well. Installed correctly, but i had to turn the socket ends to
line up as well as doing them one at a time so one would compress before the other. Those are the only things i could think of that might affect performance.
Grimmspeed responded today and they think it might be the hood weight, which i'm leaning to as well. Highly unlikely that four different sets would be bad. I'll mess with them a little bit and see if i can figure something out.

Thank you for the input. Have a good one.
womachris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to womachris For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
BasementN3k0
The Angry Brown Guy
 
BasementN3k0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2016 Tacoma & 2018 86 GT Black
Location: chesapeake, va/ l.a., ca
Posts: 39
Thanks: 14
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by womachris View Post
I don't understand why hoodshocks won't work on my car and could use some input. I have a 2013 frs in ultramarine. I've gone through two sets of 86Speed hoodshocks and two sets of Grimmspeed hoodshocks, none of which will hold up my OEM hood. I'm at a loss and don't get it. Are there different factory hoods and mine weighs more or something? They have been installed correctly. Is there something i'm missing?
i have a pair of grimmspeed struts i used on my 15 frs and now are on my 18 86. shoot me a pm and we'll see if we can solve the issue.
BasementN3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 AM   #5
JimmyMac
Senior Member
 
JimmyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2016 Miata Club
Location: NC
Posts: 785
Thanks: 183
Thanked 257 Times in 171 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I don't have the Grimmspeed struts, but I just installed the Rexpeed ones from Here. They hold up my 2013 hood no problem. You have a pic of yours installed?
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:35 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,498
Thanks: 47,553
Thanked 32,730 Times in 17,187 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
What's with the PMs? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the forum?
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
86geek (07-04-2018), Gunman (07-06-2018), humfrz (07-04-2018), Sapphireho (07-04-2018), SkyeHack (07-06-2018), Stang70Fastback (07-04-2018), weederr33 (07-06-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:46 AM   #7
Sapphireho
Chicken
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: Costco boxer briefs
Location: Caldwell, ID
Posts: 11,664
Thanks: 4,852
Thanked 15,183 Times in 7,416 Posts
Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
What's with the PMs? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the forum?
We'll solve it and keep it our little secret.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
JazzleSAURUS (07-06-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 AM   #8
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,498
Thanks: 47,553
Thanked 32,730 Times in 17,187 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
We'll solve it and keep it our little secret.
Shhhh...
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:30 AM   #9
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,979
Thanks: 27,193
Thanked 29,918 Times in 15,748 Posts
Mentioned: 687 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementN3k0 View Post
i have a pair of grimmspeed struts i used on my 15 frs and now are on my 18 86. shoot me a pm and we'll see if we can solve the issue.
. no secret solutions allowed (unless I get a broker fee)..


humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #10
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,979
Thanks: 27,193
Thanked 29,918 Times in 15,748 Posts
Mentioned: 687 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by womachris View Post
Hi Humfrz, thank you.

Yeah, i watched the video a couple times before install. Double checked afterward as well. Installed correctly, but i had to turn the socket ends to
line up as well as doing them one at a time so one would compress before the other. Those are the only things i could think of that might affect performance.
Grimmspeed responded today and they think it might be the hood weight, which i'm leaning to as well. Highly unlikely that four different sets would be bad. I'll mess with them a little bit and see if i can figure something out.

Thank you for the input. Have a good one.
I suggest you post some pictures, maybe someone can "see" something ..

PS - I just viewed the video. Are you really-really sure you bolted the brackets into the proper holes and the struts aren't put on upside down - sorry, I just had to ask


humfrz

Last edited by humfrz; 07-04-2018 at 01:53 AM.
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:43 AM   #11
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver
 
DaJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,532
Thanks: 391
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've got my GrimmSpeed hood struts 3 years now and still going strong - though they have accumulated some minor surface rust on the nuts... but nevertheless they still HOLD strong.


Now, judging by the lack or response and pictures I am just going to assume it's either a defective product OR user installation error.



/thread
__________________
1984 AE86 BT 20V 5MT 2007-2012
2000 MR-S 5MT
2010-2012

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:07 AM   #12
DandoX
Senior gif poster
 
DandoX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Location: Ca, SoCal
Posts: 931
Thanks: 589
Thanked 756 Times in 389 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I have a 13 FRS and I put grimspeed hood struts on and they work great. Holds the hood more open than oem prop rod.

Something is up for sure because mine are great. Can you post some images of your engine bay w the struts?
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:57 AM   #13
BasementN3k0
The Angry Brown Guy
 
BasementN3k0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2016 Tacoma & 2018 86 GT Black
Location: chesapeake, va/ l.a., ca
Posts: 39
Thanks: 14
Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
What's with the PMs? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the forum?
i'm local to OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
We'll solve it and keep it our little secret.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Shhhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
. no secret solutions allowed (unless I get a broker fee)..


humfrz
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
I've got my GrimmSpeed hood struts 3 years now and still going strong - though they have accumulated some minor surface rust on the nuts... but nevertheless they still HOLD strong.


Now, judging by the lack or response and pictures I am just going to assume it's either a defective product OR user installation error.



/thread
mine are also about 3 years old and have been through this weird VA weather. they're still going strong. i'm about to pull them off and treat/coat the hardware so it looks better and lasts longer, just waiting on the PBA touch-up paint to become available.
BasementN3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BasementN3k0 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-04-2018), Ultramaroon (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,498
Thanks: 47,553
Thanked 32,730 Times in 17,187 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
That was fun.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-04-2018)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.