follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2022, 12:07 PM   #12405
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,518
Thanks: 47,612
Thanked 32,785 Times in 17,204 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
When someone cuts you off 3 MILES ahead of the merge because they are 'thinking ahead.' LOL I swear if I could educate people on volume and how much space they are wasting... But then again no if you drive down the open lane that ends and pass 100 cars you're an asshole somehow and cutting the line... not merging AT THE MERGE where you are supposed to...

NINE NINE NINE
That's my pet peeve. Then there are those who pull out of their lane, crossing solid lines to block traffic. Who the fuck do these people think they are? Assholes.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-25-2022), ScoobsMcGee (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #12406
ScoobsMcGee
Junior Senior with Cheese
 
ScoobsMcGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Drives: 15 BRZ
Location: York, PA
Posts: 2,883
Thanks: 6,429
Thanked 6,469 Times in 2,225 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
When someone cuts you off 3 MILES ahead of the merge because they are 'thinking ahead.' LOL I swear if I could educate people on volume and how much space they are wasting... But then again no if you drive down the open lane that ends and pass 100 cars you're an asshole somehow and cutting the line... not merging AT THE MERGE where you are supposed to...

NINE NINE NINE

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
To be fair I usually mindlessly queue up early like everyone else, but if someone does go to merge I let them. Also every light that has a merge lane after it seems to become an impromptu drag race. Sometimes directly in front of a cop, which makes me giggle.
ScoobsMcGee is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ScoobsMcGee For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-24-2022), p1l0t (06-25-2022), soundman98 (06-24-2022), Ultramaroon (06-24-2022)
Old 06-24-2022, 07:53 PM   #12407
soundman98
cunning linguist
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 9,508
Thanks: 28,883
Thanked 11,273 Times in 5,654 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That's my pet peeve. Then there are those who pull out of their lane, crossing solid lines to block traffic. Who the fuck do these people think they are? Assholes.
the chicago favorite lately is wherever traffic backs up, certain 'special' individuals start using the shoulder to get ahead of everyone else.
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 11:36 PM   #12408
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,518
Thanks: 47,612
Thanked 32,785 Times in 17,204 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
the chicago favorite lately is wherever traffic backs up, certain 'special' individuals start using the shoulder to get ahead of everyone else.
That's painful to watch but even then, leave the policing to police. Before covid I used to sit in traffic on the way home and watch the surfers go by in the HOV lane every day. Maybe a few times a year the cops would get out and nab some.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-25-2022), soundman98 (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 12:04 AM   #12409
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,402
Thanks: 13,061
Thanked 12,124 Times in 5,427 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That's painful to watch but even then, leave the policing to police. Before covid I used to sit in traffic on the way home and watch the surfers go by in the HOV lane every day. Maybe a few times a year the cops would get out and nab some.

And when it happens. So satisfying.

__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-25-2022), Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 12:08 AM   #12410
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,518
Thanks: 47,612
Thanked 32,785 Times in 17,204 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
And when it happens. So satisfying.
OMG YES!
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:46 AM   #12411
humfrz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Location: Puyallup, WA
Posts: 28,988
Thanks: 27,213
Thanked 29,938 Times in 15,760 Posts
Mentioned: 687 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yep.
Attached Images
 
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-25-2022), Spuds (06-25-2022), Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #12412
soundman98
cunning linguist
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Location: chicago-ish
Posts: 9,508
Thanks: 28,883
Thanked 11,273 Times in 5,654 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That's painful to watch but even then, leave the policing to police. Before covid I used to sit in traffic on the way home and watch the surfers go by in the HOV lane every day. Maybe a few times a year the cops would get out and nab some.
yep. driving stick through the city taught me to just calm down and let things go. the people that complain about clutch wear, or hurting their leg are usually the people that need to creep forward every 1/4" with traffic.

i'll end up leaving a good umber of car lengths in front of me and just idle forward from time to time. usually end up passing the 'lane jumpers' later on who end up even more stressed!


best time was when a cop pulled over 1 shoulder driver, and then 4 more lined up behind the cop car. he just wet right on down the row!
__________________
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soundman98 For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-25-2022), Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 04:54 PM   #12413
p1l0t
Senior Member
 
p1l0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Location: West Hartford, CT
Posts: 8,412
Thanks: 22,567
Thanked 9,365 Times in 4,809 Posts
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobsMcGee View Post
To be fair I usually mindlessly queue up early like everyone else, but if someone does go to merge I let them. Also every light that has a merge lane after it seems to become an impromptu drag race. Sometimes directly in front of a cop, which makes me giggle.
Lots of people do it, it's just inefficient and a waste of open space. People who drive on the shoulder is a whole other special type. That's the emergency lane you are really asking for trouble doing that. (Although some states like New Hampshire allow it in construction zones but NH also has like a population of 3 and even interstates are only two lanes so maybe it works there but scary if an ambulance needs to get through). I'm just saying people should merge, at the merge, and zipper in. If everyone lets one person go it works really well. If you let zero people go or a bunch of people than that's inefficient too because it jams up the lanes. Merging miles too early just wastes a bunch of real estate making the backup longer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #12414
Spuds
The Dictater
 
Spuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Location: MD, USA
Posts: 7,908
Thanks: 22,288
Thanked 10,072 Times in 5,062 Posts
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Lots of people do it, it's just inefficient and a waste of open space. People who drive on the shoulder is a whole other special type. That's the emergency lane you are really asking for trouble doing that. (Although some states like New Hampshire allow it in construction zones but NH also has like a population of 3 and even interstates are only two lanes so maybe it works there but scary if an ambulance needs to get through). I'm just saying people should merge, at the merge, and zipper in. If everyone lets one person go it works really well. If you let zero people go or a bunch of people than that's inefficient too because it jams up the lanes. Merging miles too early just wastes a bunch of real estate making the backup longer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Everyone trying to merge at the same point in the road actually slows down traffic on average. The most efficient merge happens when both lanes are moving at the same speed. The most efficient traffic flow occurs when acceleration (+ and -) is minimized. The "right" thing to do is to gradually decrease speed until both lanes match and then merge to the through lane, rather than blast up to the merge then cut in like an ass.

The point isn't to optimize the space taken by the cars. That's called gridlock in some places.

The point is to optimize the average rate of passage.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-26-2022), Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #12415
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,518
Thanks: 47,612
Thanked 32,785 Times in 17,204 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Everyone trying to merge at the same point in the road actually slows down traffic on average. The most efficient merge happens when both lanes are moving at the same speed. The most efficient traffic flow occurs when acceleration (+ and -) is minimized. The "right" thing to do is to gradually decrease speed until both lanes match and then merge to the through lane, rather than blast up to the merge then cut in like an ass.

The point isn't to optimize the space taken by the cars. That's called gridlock in some places.

The point is to optimize the average rate of passage.
That is the goal but I think we are discussing congested traffic.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-27-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 09:03 PM   #12416
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,402
Thanks: 13,061
Thanked 12,124 Times in 5,427 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That is the goal but I think we are discussing congested traffic.

People are the problem. If only we had a way to solve that.
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-26-2022), Spuds (06-25-2022), Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 10:28 PM   #12417
Ultramaroon
shrill
 
Ultramaroon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Location: vantucky, wa
Posts: 29,518
Thanks: 47,612
Thanked 32,785 Times in 17,204 Posts
Mentioned: 1058 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
People are the problem. If only we had a way to solve that.
__________________
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (06-25-2022), p1l0t (06-27-2022), soundman98 (06-26-2022), Spuds (06-25-2022)
Old 06-25-2022, 10:36 PM   #12418
NoHaveMSG
Senior Member
 
NoHaveMSG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: Crapcan
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,402
Thanks: 13,061
Thanked 12,124 Times in 5,427 Posts
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
__________________
"Experience is the hardest kind of teacher. It gives you the test first and the lesson afterward." -Oscar Wilde.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
p1l0t (06-27-2022), soundman98 (06-26-2022), Spuds (06-25-2022), Ultramaroon (06-25-2022)
Reply

Tags
:popcorn:, @go_a_way1, @mistersheep, add a crazy tag!, ass or gtfo, boobs or gtfo, brz series.poo, dank memes, faps always fappin, funny, go_a_way1 was here, meme, meme or gtfo, moogoestheduck, more like goaway phag, no homo, smug wendy

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gun Showcase Thread (No Politics or Philosophical Discussions) TwinscrollGT35R Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 829 08-16-2022 04:01 PM
Official MTB Thread Shark_Bait88 Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 3 12-07-2016 08:01 PM
Car Meme Thread Post em... vividracing Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 7 06-27-2014 08:51 PM
Meme Thread... because i have a sense of humor Exhaust Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 14 04-14-2012 09:51 AM
Official MMA Thread zigzagz94 Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] 11 12-15-2009 10:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.