follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #1
Fred Flintstone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Asphalt, racing stripes,
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust disappointment please help!!!

Bought the 2015 FR-S with a Borla muffler from the dealership. That's what I liked about it a good sound. Ok now for more power and better torque curve. So purchase Open Flash Performance UEL header tuner combo and installed it. Hate the loud almost misfire like sound at low rpms. So called Open Flash Performance they said try a different quite muffler any suggestions? But also is the stock manifold more like an equal length. This set up almost sounds as If I have a misfire!!! Anyway​ should I get an EL header or just a better muffler suggestions please!!! Don't want to give up any little power gain.
Fred Flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:32 PM   #2
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
EDIT: wait, nevermind. thought you have stock headers.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #3
KnightRyderx2

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Are you running the stock frontpipe still?

The stock is very close to an EL setup.

Any non-catted aftermarket header will add a good amount of volume to the exhaust no matter if its UEL or EL. There is a few options to quiet it down. One is to change out the Borla for a quieter exhaust, Invidia Q300 for example, there is a few more on the quiet side just lazy to list. check the Exhaust sticky area, there is a thread there for most exhausts out there. Another is to get a catted header but that will not produce as much as an uncatted a few Hp loss. There is a few dyno comparisons for catted vs. uncatted out there just search. If you get another header you should have no problem selling the one you currently have.
KnightRyderx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
People seem to sell the stock exhaust quite often for fairly low prices. That will be your quietest option.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
steve99 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-03-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
BFIFE22

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Perrin 2.5 Resonated and Invidia Q300 are a couple good quieter options. Like KnightRyder said, it's possible that the previous owner swapped out the front pipe for an aftermarket one as well. The stock one has a cat that will reduce rasp/volume. Aftermarket ones either delete it, or use an HFC that will increase volume.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:07 AM   #6
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Let me know if you want to ship that Borla for a reasonable price...
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:59 AM   #7
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
If you want a quiet exhaust that still commands a presence, try the CSG x MXP Touring86 or Ace Laguna90 exhausts.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:48 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
Bought the 2015 FR-S with a Borla muffler from the dealership. That's what I liked about it a good sound. Ok now for more power and better torque curve. So purchase Open Flash Performance UEL header tuner combo and installed it. Hate the loud almost misfire like sound at low rpms. So called Open Flash Performance they said try a different quite muffler any suggestions? But also is the stock manifold more like an equal length. This set up almost sounds as If I have a misfire!!! Anyway​ should I get an EL header or just a better muffler suggestions please!!! Don't want to give up any little power gain.
All uel headers will make that dropped cylinder beat at low\mid rpm, it may be less noticalbe with a quiet catback but still be their. Suggest you just try the stock catback you will pick up one of those very cheap or free.

if still dont like the sound the only option will be an EL header
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 10:44 AM   #9
Detroiter

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Flintstone View Post
Have you never heard a Subaru before? The UEL header is what gives the "boxer rumble". I love the deep rumble but some can't stand it which I get.

As others have stated a quieter catback will make it less noticeable for you inside but outside it will always sound that way because of the physics behind a UEL header and exhaust pulses. If you can't stand it the only solution is to switch to a EL header setup. If it was me I would just stick with the OFH as they are specifically designed to work perfectly with OFT tunes and will yield great results.

Have you had someone else drive your car with you outside to listen to it? The only reason I say this is you could like how it sounds outside more than inside. The "dropped cylinder" beat of the UEL can be somewhat compared to a crossplane V8's rumble which is caused by the firing order those engines use.
Detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #10
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
All uel headers will make that dropped cylinder beat at low\mid rpm, it may be less noticalbe with a quiet catback but still be their. Suggest you just try the stock catback you will pick up one of those very cheap or free.

if still dont like the sound the only option will be an EL header
This. I understand the appeal to some for the UEL - but to me it sounds like my old 911 when a couple of my ignition cables decided to give up. I much prefer EL - I am running a catted EL header (P&L) with stock everything else except Greddy SP Elite muffler:

Is that closer to what you're looking for?
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #11
Dragon780

Drives: Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
People seem to sell the stock exhaust quite often for fairly low prices. That will be your quietest option.

Selling my stock exhaust if u are interested
Dragon780 is offline   Reply With Quote