follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #29
rookie

Drives: 1991 Formula Red NSX
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Picked up my BRZ this weekend and after driving it for most of the weekend, I feel like the accelerator pedal has some take up (thats the best way I can explain it). Like you have to depress the gas like an inch (arbitrary number) before the car realizes you're giving it gas. (If it were a drive by wire system, I'd say there's too much slack in the wire.)
rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie View Post
Picked up my BRZ this weekend and after driving it for most of the weekend, I feel like the accelerator pedal has some take up (thats the best way I can explain it). Like you have to depress the gas like an inch (arbitrary number) before the car realizes you're giving it gas. (If it were a drive by wire system, I'd say there's too much slack in the wire.)
It is drive by wire. Not sure if you're making a pun or being serious.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #31
rookie

Sorry, I mean cable.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #32
ChrisD

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I had the exact same feeling when I got mine and getting these bushing inserts helped a lot (and they're not that hard to install as you don't have to remove the old bushings, just stick these over the top) : http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_...DT922&sq=14657
I know it might seem weird that some bushings on the rear cross member would help with throttle feel, but a few people on here recommended it in other threads so I had a go and it did make a noticeable difference
AVO Stage 4 Turbo, Carrillo forged con rods, 10:1 CR Carrillo pistons, AVO 3 inch turbo back exhaust, Helix clutch, TheDriveShaftShop drive shafts, lightweight flywheel, NamelessPerformance hydraulic hand brake, KW V3 coilovers... and lots of other little bits
ChrisD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisD For This Useful Post:
rookie (08-25-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #33
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I agree there's lag in the pedal and a non-linearity that is frustrating, it's one of my least favorite things about the car, as posted in this thread I believe the most effective solution is a tune to remap the throttle, the AVO unit linked above looks interesting but I don't trust it (my own paranoia about plugging a box into my computer).

I don't think there's anything that will completely eliminate the dead spot and at least some lag will always exist but I would be surprised if it wasn't improvable. Highly considering an OFT for this along with a safer tune for an early car and some straightforward datalogging...
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
rookie (08-25-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 11:00 PM   #34
MGPAX
Still 17!

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This delay in pedal response will go away after some miles.
To speed things along and sometimes bypass the process all together,
it is recommended that you start the car and let it idle for a minute WITHOUT touching
the gas pedal.
Do this twice.
Then drive for little while using smooth movements. No stabbing the pedal etc.
One trip to work or the grocery store is all it takes me. (I have to do this when changing or adding a tune or battery unplug)

The space between applying pressure on the pedal and getting a response should go down to zero. It does for me anyway. Hope this helps.

PAX
MGPAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGPAX For This Useful Post:
rookie (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 10:24 AM   #35
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I think a lot of people are mixing up throttle response and acceleration.

Put your foot to the floor in neutral and see how long it takes.
Now do the same in an 80's pick up. Throttle response is the time it takes for the engine to rev after giving a throttle input.

Honestly it's slightly disappointing in these cars considering the LFA is the king of throttle response.
Plumbus (10-04-2020)
Old 08-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #36
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadBanger View Post

Put your foot to the floor in neutral and see how long it takes.
Now do the same in an 80's pick up. Throttle response is the time it takes for the engine to rev after giving a throttle input.

Honestly it's slightly disappointing in these cars considering the LFA is the king of throttle response.
I haven't driven an LFA so I can't comment on if it's the "king" or not but it sounds like you're focusing on how quickly it revs.

I own an '80s pickup, I've put 25,000 miles on it and I learned to drive a stick in it, with the cable actuating the throttle valve it has better "throttle response" than my FR-S, which lags to my inputs. The pickup truck does exactly what I tell it to do with minimal delay, there is progression in the pedal travel (also having more torque than an 86 helps too, thank you 2.4L for those extra 3 ft-lbs) whereas with my FR-S I can't tell the difference between 70% throttle and 100% throttle. I've rocked my foot back and forth in that range to see if passengers notice, not even the gf, who is very quick to point out when I'm doing stupid things. The 86 is not terrible (I've driven cars where I can put my foot on the gas and let off before the car accelerates) but it's there and switching back and forth (to the '80s pickup) makes it obvious to me.

If you gave me the power to change one thing on the 86, it'd be replacing the drive-by wire throttle with a cable. Yup, I'd pass up more power, better fuel economy, even a better suspension or adjustable camber or magic weight reduction for a cable between my right foot and the motor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-05-2016), Plumbus (10-04-2020)
Old 08-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #37
rookie

Quote:
Myself included. To me there are two areas and I'm not sure if they're both under the throttle response umbrella. Let me try to explain:

The first situation is when I'm driving (say I'm doing 40 mph in 4th gear) and I give it more gas, it responds to my input fine and I don't really have an issue with this.

The second situation (and where the issue arises) is when I'm off the throttle completely and decide to give it gas (such as when I'm starting from a dead stop, or coasting in neutral) the pedal has to travel some distance before the ECU knows that I'm telling it to go.

And this is something that the ECU will eventually fix, at least somewhat?
Old 08-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #38
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Myself included. To me there are two areas and I'm not sure if they're both under the throttle response umbrella. Let me try to explain:

The first situation is when I'm driving (say I'm doing 40 mph in 4th gear) and I give it more gas, it responds to my input fine and I don't really have an issue with this.

The second situation (and where the issue arises) is when I'm off the throttle completely and decide to give it gas (such as when I'm starting from a dead stop, or coasting in neutral) the pedal has to travel some distance before the ECU knows that I'm telling it to go.

There is nothing broken for the ECU to fix. I have little doubt that this is deliberately programed as a fuel conservation measure. For the "normal" driver there is no need for rapid and sudden changes in the throttle response and it can suck up gas for no good reason.
Of course for somebody that is looking for every bit of performance they can get and mileage be damned this is a pain in the ass.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:52 PM   #39
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Honestly I've never noticed any of the issues being discussed.
strat61caster (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #40
strat61caster
-

Quote:

See, I don't mind this at all, every car I've driven has at least a little bit of 'slack' in the gas pedal where the first bit does nothing, including the pickup I mentioned above.

At least with a cable it's easy to tighten up, with DBW you could reposition the sensor? I have no idea how the mechanism works but like I said that part doesn't bother me, a pedal that's always 'taut' would be nice but I'm used to not having it.

Quote:
Like @Tcoat says above, for 99.9% of people it's totally unnecessary, we are nitpicking because everything else on the car is so damn good.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:01 PM   #41
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Me neither but I am not trying to shave .0001 seconds of my trip from my laneway to the stop sign at the end of my street so never gave it much attention.
I can see how it could be an issue for anybody tracking though.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #42
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Me neither but I am not trying to shave .0001 seconds of my trip from my laneway to the stop sign at the end of my street so never gave it much attention.
I can see how it could be an issue for anybody tracking though.
It's less a lap time thing and more of a feedback and feel problem.

Simply put I find it crazy that my "new sports car" has a less responsive throttle than my "80's pickup truck".

It's conversations like this that make me want to go blow $500 on an OFT simply to get the throttle remapped (also the DI Seal fix), I'll try and drive my truck again this weekend for kicks it's been a few weeks as I'm starting to forget how good it feels...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (07-05-2016), Plumbus (10-04-2020), Tcoat (08-25-2015)