follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #1
E13MentX

Drives: 14' BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ Front bumper question

Been a long time lurker here. I have owned my BRZ for almost a year now and I'm finally ready to get rid of the only thing I hate about the beloved BRZ; the black plastic front bumper part! (the mouth guard, mustache, or whatever). I was wondering if there was any way to change the black plastic part? I have searched for a long time, seems like the only way is to change the entire front bumper? Are there any alternatives? I have the 2014 limited SWP edition so swapping it with a FRS wouldn't work (fog lights). Anyone have any ideas? Thank you so much for your help!
E13MentX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've seen a member here that sanded it smooth and painted it glossy black. It looked so nice. I can't recall who it was but I'm sure someone knows. That's the route I'm going when I have the bumper repainted after one of these winters.

I know it's still black, but it gets rid of the cheap plastic look if that's another route you'd want to go..
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Bobblehead

Drives: 2013 BRZ (gone) 2016 Ford Fusion SE
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As someone who sustained front bumper damage, maybe I can help a bit:

The front bumper on the BRZ is all one piece, including the mustache. As far as making it gloss black, or body color I guess you could sand it down smooth and paint it. Other than that, or possibly a whole new aftermarket bumper, all you can do is sand it and paint it.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #4
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse36m3 View Post
I've seen a member here that sanded it smooth and painted it glossy black. It looked so nice. I can't recall who it was but I'm sure someone knows. That's the route I'm going when I have the bumper repainted after one of these winters.

I know it's still black, but it gets rid of the cheap plastic look if that's another route you'd want to go..
@chanomatik
Old 12-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #5
midnight23
dying bird under the hood

Drives: 2013 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
i'm going to cut my mustache completely off once my custom crash bar gets built.
midnight23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:50 AM   #6
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight23 View Post
i'm going to cut my mustache completely off once my custom crash bar gets built.
It'll just grow back...but thicker!
Old 12-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #7
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
It'll just grow back...but thicker!
That's just a myth
Old 12-04-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
The more you cut it, the faster it grows back!
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Here I is! I had my shop do it. I don't know the EXACT procedure, but I know it entails some filling in because the piece is heavily textured, then some sanding to smooth it out. I don't know what it was filled with, though. Anyone with any kind of experience could probably guess it easily if you're paying someone else to fabricate it. After sanding, you'll want to have clear bra put over it after the paint has either had time to cure properly or just dried completely, depending on paint used.

Here's basically what it looked like when I first got it done.

When it was first done they just painted it with whatever they had at the time and told me to bring it back in a week after the paint cured. No clear bra was applied at the time for that reason. Well, in Anchorage, Alaska, they lay down gravel on the roads instead of salt, so my front was dinged up. They never actually got around to applying the clear bra or touching up the paint, so here's what it looked like during the middle of summer (kind of hard to tell, you'll need to blow it up a little).

Those little white splotches are dings in the bumper. Eventually they took the car back and got it professionally painted, where it dried in a day, then had clear bra put on it. That was maybe 5 months ago now and the bumper still looks brand new. Actually my entire front looks new because I had clear bra applied right after I bought the car and they replaced the clear bra, so the paint is untouched. I don't have a current picture of the front, but it looks the same anyways.

I don't know how much it would cost to have it done since mine was done for free. My shop takes REALLY good care of me and I'm super appreciative of their kindness. I show it by continuing to bring them business!

Anyways, if there's anything specific you want me to ask them about the procedure, let me know. A member on here pointed out that it mostly works on my car because it's already black. Honestly, I was going for a lighter black, more of that duller, yet glossy dark gray that the BRZ STI Concept uses. I think if you could get it closer to this instead of the deep black like I have, you'd be golden!

chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
E13MentX (12-04-2014), s0sl0w (12-09-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
E13MentX

Drives: 14' BRZ
thanks for everyone that replied!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Here I is! I had my shop do it. I don't know the EXACT procedure, but I know it entails some filling in because the piece is heavily textured, then some sanding to smooth it out. I don't know what it was filled with, though. Anyone with any kind of experience could probably guess it easily if you're paying someone else to fabricate it. After sanding, you'll want to have clear bra put over it after the paint has either had time to cure properly or just dried completely, depending on paint used.

Here's basically what it looked like when I first got it done.

When it was first done they just painted it with whatever they had at the time and told me to bring it back in a week after the paint cured. No clear bra was applied at the time for that reason. Well, in Anchorage, Alaska, they lay down gravel on the roads instead of salt, so my front was dinged up. They never actually got around to applying the clear bra or touching up the paint, so here's what it looked like during the middle of summer (kind of hard to tell, you'll need to blow it up a little).

Those little white splotches are dings in the bumper. Eventually they took the car back and got it professionally painted, where it dried in a day, then had clear bra put on it. That was maybe 5 months ago now and the bumper still looks brand new. Actually my entire front looks new because I had clear bra applied right after I bought the car and they replaced the clear bra, so the paint is untouched. I don't have a current picture of the front, but it looks the same anyways.

I don't know how much it would cost to have it done since mine was done for free. My shop takes REALLY good care of me and I'm super appreciative of their kindness. I show it by continuing to bring them business!

Anyways, if there's anything specific you want me to ask them about the procedure, let me know. A member on here pointed out that it mostly works on my car because it's already black. Honestly, I was going for a lighter black, more of that duller, yet glossy dark gray that the BRZ STI Concept uses. I think if you could get it closer to this instead of the deep black like I have, you'd be golden!

Wow that looks amazing on your car... But I don't think that would look good on mine. Like you and other members have said, it works since you have black car. I think if I did it on my car, it would stand out more. I remember reading another thread about painting the mustache. But imo, it looks hideous if I paint it white. (Not to mention all the trouble and cost).

As to others that mention cutting the plastic. I don' think that would be a possibility for me since I wouldn't know how to add something to change it. I have seen pictures in another thread of people just cutting the plastic off. It looks like an open mouth (Look like those Mazda 3s). So i guess there's no other alternatives.... =/
E13MentX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E13MentX For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Yeah, sorry. The only other thing I kind of liked was the overlay that either looks like carbon fiber or IS carbon fiber. It's from S-Craft.

HKS Kansai is an option too, especially since it sticks with the body lines.

Otherwise, yeah, not much for options besides just getting a new front bumper. Honestly, only we car enthusiasts REALLY care. The average Joe will still think you have the prettiest car ever and just wonder how fast it is.
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
E13MentX (12-04-2014), weedtank (12-04-2014)
Old 12-04-2014, 07:07 PM   #12
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanomatik View Post
Dang looks great.

I'm sure Evercoat Polyflex would do the trick.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kberkel For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (12-04-2014)
Old 12-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
wrb.brz

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue BRZ
The mustache doesn't bother me, but chanomatik's alteration looks REALLY good. Curious if it would blend as nicely on a color other than black...
wrb.brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:33 AM   #14
BRZPDX
Boosted Member

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Garage
How much did it cost to do the mustache augmentation?

SUV's: Mercedes Benz R500 '06, Mercedes Benz ML350 '12
BRZPDX is offline   Reply With Quote