follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Rumbaar
Victim's aren't we all

Drives: Toyota GTS 86 - Pegasus White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question Stop window auto scroll

Hi,

What is the best method to temporarily, for tinting, disable the auto scrolling of the windows when you open and close an Australia GTS 86?

I tried a search, but wasn't too successful.
Rumbaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #2
riyal

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 High MT
sup bru,

well i was also searching for something simliar and i was considering removing the fuse for the windows.

however when i did my tinting i was assured by the guys the little movement does little to damage the tint. the best thing to do is just leave it be. just let the tint dry in the sun for the first day and then dont open the windows until the elapsed time for setting.

did my tint just over a month ago and havent had a single issue.

cheers bru hope this helps.
riyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Corbu

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Garage
There's a black button by the latch for the door on the car (not the door). Just put some tape over that. Otherwise try having someone hold up on the window while you press the button to go down and it should disengage the auto feature. I know when the window freezes in winter it disengages. Then you re-engage it by closing the doors, turn the car key to on, hold the window down button until the window goes all the way down, then keep it held for a couple seconds and run it all the way back up and it will be back to normal.
Corbu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corbu For This Useful Post:
Rumbaar (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #4
DNAPoPo
GreddyBRZ meets GreddyFRS

Drives: SSM Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
You could just disconnect battery.
Irvine FR-S & BRZ Car Meet(FaceBook)
DNAPoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
frslee
Just drive it

Drives: 13' FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
@Rumbaar

Did you get tint installed yet? Actually, don't worry about the auto roll down. When you get yours tinted, just tell the installer to tuck some extra tint on the bottom of the window. That's how the shop did for me. They should be able to tuck about half inch, so it won't bother with coming off.
frslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
anyone that had their rear window tinted, do you need to remove the 3rd brake light?
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
FR-Slide

Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just got my tint installed ~2 weeks ago and voiced my concern about this issue. Was assured that the small movement would not affect it, and sure enough, no adverse effects.

They recommend to avoid frequent open/closing of the door (duh), and if you MUST get in/out often (for things like gas/store/etc) to just partially close the door so you don't trigger the scroll up. After 2-3 days in the sun it was fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs10 View Post
anyone that had their rear window tinted, do you need to remove the 3rd brake light?
My guys kept it in place, but I didn't watch to see if they needed any witchcraft to make it work. The rear deck was pretty wet, so I assume there was ample water/soap to get it to slide down there.
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
frs10 (08-27-2013)
Old 08-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
frs10

Drives: tezla
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
Just got my tint installed ~2 weeks ago and voiced my concern about this issue. Was assured that the small movement would not affect it, and sure enough, no adverse effects.

They recommend to avoid frequent open/closing of the door (duh), and if you MUST get in/out often (for things like gas/store/etc) to just partially close the door so you don't trigger the scroll up. After 2-3 days in the sun it was fine.

My guys kept it in place, but I didn't watch to see if they needed any witchcraft to make it work. The rear deck was pretty wet, so I assume there was ample water/soap to get it to slide down there.
nice!

thanks!
frs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Richard Cranium
Ted

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
Unless you're performing the install yourself, any reputable shop worth their weight in salt should know the proper procedure to keep the glass up while applying the tint. If you're tackling it yourself, then it's as others have said - tape the jamb sensors down and tuck the tint 1/2" or so below the flap line.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Rumbaar
Victim's aren't we all

Drives: Toyota GTS 86 - Pegasus White
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by riyal View Post
however when i did my tinting i was assured by the guys the little movement does little to damage the tint. the best thing to do is just leave it be. just let the tint dry in the sun for the first day and then dont open the windows until the elapsed time for setting.
YEah, I've spoken with the Tint guy now, who has done at least two 86's that I know of, that it's not an issue. Plan not to use it for a day or as little as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbu View Post
There's a black button by the latch for the door on the car (not the door). Just put some tape over that. Otherwise try having someone hold up on the window while you press the button to go down and it should disengage the auto feature. I know when the window freezes in winter it disengages. Then you re-engage it by closing the doors, turn the car key to on, hold the window down button until the window goes all the way down, then keep it held for a couple seconds and run it all the way back up and it will be back to normal.
OH I might try that trick and see how I go. Can test to see if it disengages it. That will be useful. More so than fuse remove or taping the button [which I'm sure is used for the auto lights to turn off].

Quote:
Originally Posted by frslee View Post
Did you get tint installed yet? Actually, don't worry about the auto roll down. When you get yours tinted, just tell the installer to tuck some extra tint on the bottom of the window. That's how the shop did for me. They should be able to tuck about half inch, so it won't bother with coming off.
No, not yet. Spoke with the Tint guy last night and seems like no problems. Just have to find the time and book it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
Yeah, I've seen a video of how easy it is to remove the top part of the brake like housing to make it easier to work with. So I'll probably do that myself as preparation. NO harm I guess i making it easier on the tinter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
Unless you're performing the install yourself, any reputable shop worth their weight in salt should know the proper procedure to keep the glass up while applying the tint. If you're tackling it yourself, then it's as others have said - tape the jamb sensors down and tuck the tint 1/2" or so below the flap line.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping for. But a few I contacted in the past didn't even know what an 86 was, so I'd rather be informed myself so I can inform them and make it easier for them to get it right. Not doing it myself, that would be a cluster I could imagine.

Thanks all for the replies!
Rumbaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Kelbyat07
Poor College Kid

Drives: ~.~
Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,249 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Avoid opening and closing your doors. But the way i did it was open and shut it lightly.

Kelbyat07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto, power window, windows