follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-07-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
molassascookieman

Drives: 2013 FR-S Manual (Stock for now)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Possible rod knock

Story time. I have a 13 FR-S with 140,000 on the engine to date. About a month and a half ago, I raced a Jaguar at around 120 for a good 3 solid hours down I-10, and when I finally slowed down, I heard a weird, throaty rattle coming from the engine. At first I thought it was related to the clutch, as it stopped when I was in neutral with my foot off the clutch. I then took my car into Toyota to have the valve-spring recall done, and got a call saying my engine has a rod knock, it has nothing to do with the clutch, and my engine needs replacing.

Now I trust this dealership, and have no reason to believe they are trying to hustle me (they know full well I know a lot more about cars than the average person, and have even told me to go away and do it myself when I brought it in for some other stuff). BUT, I am skeptical of their diagnosis, because I have heard many rod knocks before, even from other BRZs, and this sounds way less violent, is coming from the bottom of the engine not the top, and because the sound gets louder when I accelerate. I can't really get a good audio clip or video clip because the short shifter starts rattling whenever I'm going fast enough to hear it.

The sound is a deeper rattle, almost sounds like somebody gargling water, but more mechanical. It has gotten somewhat worse since it started, and it does get slightly worse when the engine warms up, but everything else points to it not being a rod knock. Any idea what else this might be, and any fixes I could attempt?
molassascookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:49 PM   #2
Subsonic

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There are literally a million things it can be, so a diagnosis over the internet is going to be difficult. You could get a second opinion from another mechanic, or do an oil sample analysis which should show up bearing material in the oil if there is indeed a rod bearing issue.
Subsonic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Subsonic For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
If it's rod knock you'd hear it just as well racing the engine in neutral. Take a recording of that outside so we don't hear echo from the garage. Make sure the oil is up to temp.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #4
James H

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jaguar? I take it not a late model S Type with the supercharged V8
James H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:51 PM   #5
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by molassascookieman View Post
Story time. I have a 13 FR-S with 140,000 on the engine to date. About a month and a half ago, I raced a Jaguar at around 120 for a good 3 solid hours down I-10, and when I finally slowed down, I heard a weird, throaty rattle coming from the engine. At first I thought it was related to the clutch, as it stopped when I was in neutral with my foot off the clutch. I then took my car into Toyota to have the valve-spring recall done, and got a call saying my engine has a rod knock, it has nothing to do with the clutch, and my engine needs replacing.

Now I trust this dealership, and have no reason to believe they are trying to hustle me (they know full well I know a lot more about cars than the average person, and have even told me to go away and do it myself when I brought it in for some other stuff). BUT, I am skeptical of their diagnosis, because I have heard many rod knocks before, even from other BRZs, and this sounds way less violent, is coming from the bottom of the engine not the top, and because the sound gets louder when I accelerate. I can't really get a good audio clip or video clip because the short shifter starts rattling whenever I'm going fast enough to hear it.

The sound is a deeper rattle, almost sounds like somebody gargling water, but more mechanical. It has gotten somewhat worse since it started, and it does get slightly worse when the engine warms up, but everything else points to it not being a rod knock. Any idea what else this might be, and any fixes I could attempt?

A rod knock is from the bottom end, not the top. They get much louder under load. A rod knock is a nice deep thunk thunk thunk, they don't always sound very metallic, and they usually sound "wet".

Basically, it sounds like you have a rod knock. But this is the internet. So it could really be anything.

Last edited by maslin; 03-07-2019 at 07:33 PM.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #6
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
this was my rod knock. Spun #4 rod bearing
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
this was my rod knock. Spun #4 rod bearing

That’s not rod knock. That is just your flasher relay.

I kid I kid.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
caus (03-15-2019), DarkPira7e (03-07-2019), Ultramaroon (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
If it was rod knock you wouldn’t have a hard time reproducing it or hearing it. My car has had a faint rod knock like sound from the day I got the car. It’s a 2013 I picked up used with 83k. I did end up spinning a bearing and I replaced the short block but what do you know it still has this damn rod knock like sound when under light load at about 2500rpm. I’ve finally gotten used to the sound so it doesn’t trigged butterflies in my stomach anymore.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-07-2019)