follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #113
the new guy

Drives: 2014 Asphalt FR-S/2018 Thunder GT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
Yep, that's what they quoted me. In the grand scheme of things $50 isn't much and I rather pay that for the convenience than go looking for another dealership, which is what I plan to do during my 15k service.

Still doesn't make the situation right and I think Toyota/Subaru should just come out with a TSB that just states re-flash for older models.

I reported the issue to the dealer on my first visit who gave me the "we're unable to replicate it BS". The second time I came back I explained the issue with DI seals failing to a service manager who got it taken care of for me so I'd try to talk to another person at the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2014, 12:30 PM   #114
enigma

Drives: Asphalt 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
Better than the NSX, RX7, and S2000?! Were they broken? :P
Ha, nope! The FD and S2000s were *basically* stock (basically exhaust on both, but OEM suspension), but the NSX had headers, exhaust, coilovers, front sway bar, upgraded brakes... The FD and S2000 are similar to the 86 in how they feel, though. I'd argue that the 86 inspires more confidence than both (definitely the S2000, maybe about the same with the FD), and has better steering response and feel than both imo.

The S2000 always felt sketchy at higher speeds. The harder you drove it, the more it felt like it was going to bite you if you drove too hard. I would describe the S as rewarding, but nervous.

The FD was awesome, but I always felt like it was a hop, jump, and a skip away from blowing up. Too many horror stories and not enough $$ in my bank account to ever feel truly comfortable driving it hard. Was a fun car to drive, but I just never got comfortable.

The NSX is honestly probably tied with the 86 as my favorite car, but for different reasons. The NSX is obviously _the_ Japanese exotic from the 90s. I still think it's more special to see an NSX at a car show or meet or something than it is to see various Ferraris (save the big guys) because it's just more rare anymore. It was super planted on track, steering was awesome (albeit a bit slow), and the noise... my lord the noise was glorious. Compared to my 86, though, you can tell the chassis is a bit old and tired (I had a 92). I took my 86 and NSX (though years apart) to track days at Heartland Park and Mid America Motorplex, and I'd be willing to guess the actual times aren't that far apart, and I think that really says something about the chassis of the 86.

But anywho, that's enough rambling for one day. If you're interested, here are pics of the said ex's, in order of appearance:

'00 S2000

'92 NSX

'00 S2000 again (bought the same car back haha)

'93 RX-7

'01 S2000

enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to enigma For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (07-28-2014), Mini Cooper S (08-29-2014), unsurety (07-30-2014)
Old 07-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #115
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Garage
I had three 240sx, one AE86GTS, IS300 5MT, G35 coupe 6MT track and wrx in the past. I am very happy with my BRZ's performance. i get 28mpg, fun to drive, and very good looking. although it doesnt has robust power like my G35 or wrx but it is definitely enough for me to enjoy some fun daily. it is comfortable and fun. the only thing i wish is it has sunroof, more storage space such as coin holder or sunglasses holder.
(PS. IMO this is so much better than AE86 because AE86 is an almost 30 years old car! the cord principle of 86 is nimble and fun, this car got it too)
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:08 PM   #116
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Ha, nope! The FD and S2000s were *basically* stock (basically exhaust on both, but OEM suspension), but the NSX had headers, exhaust, coilovers, front sway bar, upgraded brakes... The FD and S2000 are similar to the 86 in how they feel, though. I'd argue that the 86 inspires more confidence than both (definitely the S2000, maybe about the same with the FD), and has better steering response and feel than both imo.

The S2000 always felt sketchy at higher speeds. The harder you drove it, the more it felt like it was going to bite you if you drove too hard. I would describe the S as rewarding, but nervous.

The FD was awesome, but I always felt like it was a hop, jump, and a skip away from blowing up. Too many horror stories and not enough $$ in my bank account to ever feel truly comfortable driving it hard. Was a fun car to drive, but I just never got comfortable.

The NSX is honestly probably tied with the 86 as my favorite car, but for different reasons. The NSX is obviously _the_ Japanese exotic from the 90s. I still think it's more special to see an NSX at a car show or meet or something than it is to see various Ferraris (save the big guys) because it's just more rare anymore. It was super planted on track, steering was awesome (albeit a bit slow), and the noise... my lord the noise was glorious. Compared to my 86, though, you can tell the chassis is a bit old and tired (I had a 92). I took my 86 and NSX (though years apart) to track days at Heartland Park and Mid America Motorplex, and I'd be willing to guess the actual times aren't that far apart, and I think that really says something about the chassis of the 86.
It doesn't surprise me that the 86 would be more confidence inspiring. It has the longest wheelbase and a more front-biased weight distribution compared to those other cars. I don't think that's really "better" though... just easier to control during a slide. It was made for drifting, after all. :P

I've driven an AP1, but I haven't pushed it hard like my AP2, so I'm not sure how much more twitchy/nervous it actually is, but I find the AP2 actually pretty planted and easy to control for a car with such a short wheelbase and front-mid engine position.

I feel like the RX7 and NSX may be a little underwhelming in some ways stock vs stock compared to a brand new car like the 86, but probably have waaay more overall potential when modified due to better design. Of course, the RX7 does have the reliability issues... haha
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:46 AM   #117
enigma

Drives: Asphalt 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
It doesn't surprise me that the 86 would be more confidence inspiring. It has the longest wheelbase and a more front-biased weight distribution compared to those other cars. I don't think that's really "better" though... just easier to control during a slide. It was made for drifting, after all. :P

I've driven an AP1, but I haven't pushed it hard like my AP2, so I'm not sure how much more twitchy/nervous it actually is, but I find the AP2 actually pretty planted and easy to control for a car with such a short wheelbase and front-mid engine position.

I feel like the RX7 and NSX may be a little underwhelming in some ways stock vs stock compared to a brand new car like the 86, but probably have waaay more overall potential when modified due to better design. Of course, the RX7 does have the reliability issues... haha
Yes and no about the potential. Sure, they have more power and can be given more power fairly easily (well, the FD anyways), but like I said, I don't know that the chassis of any of the three is as good as the 86. 10-20 years difference can do that, though.

I'd venture to guess that a well setup, 280-300 rwhp supercharged 86 could hang with plenty of developed NSXs/FDs/S2000s with similar power.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #118
Erik1493

Drives: Blue Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
As far as driving goes, I'm 95% satisfied. The BRZ is a quick car that handles phenomenally. It's not "fast" as far as fast cars are concerned, but saying the twins are slow is a crock of horseshit, my 4cyl jeep wrangler was SLOW. It's faster than the average car, and will lose most cars on the road in the twisties.
It could probably use better tires.
Braking is good, but honestly seems a little lacking for this vehicle. Steering feedback is awesome. Everyone who has driven this car knows how fun it is to drive.

The interior? maybe a 7/10.
I have a premium. I love the cloth seats, as they dont make me sweat like leather, and they have proven comfortable to my sensitive back over 2 hour drives.
I HATE THE SILVER DASH PLASTIC. It is a real eyesore. I big hunk of cheap plastic that is asking to be scratched.
The touch screen sucks. Hard. It doesn't respond to my fingers well and is very slow. Subaru really dropped the ball on it.
The speakers took a while to EQ properly(lots of fuzz and terrible noises at first), and are not impressive at all. And it does not help that the cabin is somewhat loud

All that being said. I'm 100% satisfied with my car.
I was tempted to get a v8 Camaro or Mustang, but at 21 insurance was too high. The Brz was only $22 more a month than my last car.
Erik1493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erik1493 For This Useful Post:
abraxis (09-23-2014)
Old 07-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #119
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I love everything about the FRS. The only downfall is cockpit position. I wished the center console was raised up 2"s to give you a place to rest your entire arm with the shifter falling into your hands. It would feel much more wrapped if they designed it like that.

Other than that, this car is a performance bargain at $25k brand new. What the hell else you gonna buy? Civic Si? Fat ass gencoupe 2.0t?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:40 PM   #120
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,286 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Only had mine a week so still on the honeymoon! Enough power (for my needs), handles GREAT and very comfortable on my daily commute. Only real complaint is the stereo SUCKS BIG TIME. I had 8 track players with better sound. Also very afraid I am going to cause an accident when people look away from their driving to watch me go by!!!!!!!
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #121
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
IDK small issues are starting to annoy me.

Just yesterday she has now started to slightly grind when going into 4th gear. This happened out of nowhere. I dont track or race my car and have not done any mods that could affect this.

Add in the other things (crickets, speaker rattles, pops, power) and its beginning to bug me.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #122
shinbatsu

Drives: 14' BRZ Premium [WRB]
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
My 2015 WRX will be ready for pickup tomorrow. It's been a long time coming but the BRZ is finally getting traded in.

The BRZ is an awesome car. Drives like it's on rails and is ridiculous amounts of fun to drive. The gas mileage is excellent. However there were issues that I just couldn't get past and over time they grew to bother me quite a bit:

1) Not enough power. Torque dip + having to rev it like a honda to get anything out of the motor was becoming tiresome. Aggressive freeway lane changes were almost impossible w/o dropping it into 3rd/4th, standing on it, and revving up to 7k+ (making a huge scene as the motor screams like an angry god)

2) Ergonomics. The seat is uncomfortable over long drives (no I'm not morbidly obese) and the doors swing really wide. Parking the car in cramped Hawaii parking lots then trying to get out required gymnastics which were messing up my back.

3) Head Unit. It just never seemed to work correctly, and frequently locked up or glitched. The GPS also never worked well with the built in Hawaii maps. No steering wheel controls.

The final nail in the coffin was test driving the 15' WRX on a day off. It had gobs of easily accessible power, was very comfortable to enter/exit and drive, and had steering wheel audio controls and a simple stereo with hardware buttons.

I feel like the fault lies with me, and not the car. The BRZ delivers on everything it advertises. It really is a great car... for the RIGHT person. I thought that was me, but it wasn't. I'm not a young man anymore, and after daily driving the BRZ for 4 months the comforts I thought I would willingly sacrifice for the ultimate driving experience are now deal breakers for long term ownership.

But really, these are facts you realize only after driving a car daily. It's a shame there isn't a way to rent a new car for a month to see if it's really going to be a perfect fit. A test drive can only reveal so much.
shinbatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shinbatsu For This Useful Post:
Atropine (09-24-2014), flippy (09-23-2014), JonAvalon (09-23-2014), quality_sound (09-26-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 01:45 AM   #123
unsurety
aeiou

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
I love everything about the FRS. The only downfall is cockpit position. I wished the center console was raised up 2"s to give you a place to rest your entire arm with the shifter falling into your hands. It would feel much more wrapped if they designed it like that.
This comment, haha. You know how I know you've owned an SW20?
For that price anyone could get a c6z and have money for a simple heads cam package and make a bunch more power and have a superior handling car. This seems overpriced to say the least. "Have it your way" is basically offering someone a massive dildo to shove up their ass BUT they have the option of choosing the method in which it is inserted....
unsurety is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unsurety For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (07-30-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #124
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,074 Times in 1,186 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The engine gets a lot of shit but all the alternatives really don't live up to it in some aspect, the Honda K20 and Toyota GTS wouldn't pass emissions standards and got mediocre at best fuel economy, the idea of a 6 or 8 would add noticeable cost both in terms of $$ and weight (likely a beefed up powertrain).

The only two options available imo for this car to be more powerful stock would be either FI or larger displacement. FI was thrown out due to character reasons from the engineering team, there's definitely a cost factor there of at least a couple thousand dollars worth of parts, tooling, R&D, reliability testing, meeting emissions. Larger displacement would have increased the cost of around 2/3's of the units due to taxes on engine displacement, likely to the point where it would have hurt sales, I don't need to link the articles about how the European arm of Toyota isn't impressed with the sales as it is citing it isn't powerful enough for the price.

@WolfpackS2k in the broad spectrum of motors, yes 7,400 rpm is kind of old hat but if you take 'high-revving' or 'rev-happy' to be a descriptor of character and less based on paper stats I think it's very applicable to most people's definitions. The thing really doesn't come online until you're over 5k rpm, you could own this car forever only hitting 4,000 rpm and think it's the biggest farce to hit showrooms in the last decade, it feels like a boring tin-can of a Toyota at regular cruising speeds and rpms and I have a hunch that's why so many people felt underwhelmed.

It's really easy to test drive this car, wait for a hole in traffic and put your foot down in third gear and nothing at all interesting happens, meanwhile in the Mustang you can test drive not three blocks away you'll get pushed back in your seat hear a nice grumble and make the salesman a bit nervous.

Sure the engine's a snoozefest under 5k rpm but I can't think of anything that could realistically do a better job.
My main gripe with the engine (other than reliability compared to Hondas) is that it is not a smooth engine. Compared to a Honda it's rough, doesn't sound very good and does not seem like it enjoys being revved up high. That's not a trait very becoming of a sports car. There's a reason people enjoy revving Honda engines up high and not engines of their peers. Sure the K20 wouldn't meet 2014 emissions but does anyone really think Honda lacks the engineering skill to develop another 8000 rpm 4 cylinder that meets contemporary emission regs?

Furthermore I still believe this car would be a lot better off if the engine had been developed for 2.5 liters of displacement. Very minimal weight gain and healthy bumps for torque and horsepower.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfpackS2k For This Useful Post:
AsianStyle (09-24-2014), civicdrivr (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 09:04 PM   #125
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
My main gripe with the engine (other than reliability compared to Hondas) is that it is not a smooth engine. Compared to a Honda it's rough, doesn't sound very good and does not seem like it enjoys being revved up high. That's not a trait very becoming of a sports car. There's a reason people enjoy revving Honda engines up high and not engines of their peers. Sure the K20 wouldn't meet 2014 emissions but does anyone really think Honda lacks the engineering skill to develop another 8000 rpm 4 cylinder that meets contemporary emission regs?

Furthermore I still believe this car would be a lot better off if the engine had been developed for 2.5 liters of displacement. Very minimal weight gain and healthy bumps for torque and horsepower.

It might be possible to develop 8000rpm engines to meet emission regulations. However, in a perfect world you would think manufacturers might be able to de-tune your average car( eg. Dart, corolla, cavalier etc.) to improve 1 or 2% emission-wise but let the one in a hundred car loosen reign to allow a 10% cushion for god's(spirit's?)-sake? Most people don't even care much about their cars, why punish the enthusiast with some drive? Noticed the younger generation is more into smart-phones than anything else. The following chart may not be credible.
Attached Images

synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #126
Texas BRZ
Sports Car = Anti-Drug

Drives: 2014 Honda CBR600RR
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGLR View Post
Exactly what the title says, how do you guys/gals like your FR-S or BRZ? Negatives and positives of the car? I ask this as I have been considering one to get for my dd but a neighbor of mine has an immaculate stock AE86 that he is considering putting up for sale. So a better question would be what would you guys say get a FR-S/BRZ or the AE86?
I traded in my FR-S just under two years ago due to personal reasons, and now I'm looking to get back into a 2015. Hope this tells you how satisfied I was with mine.

Texas BRZ
Texas BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote