follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #1
Sam86

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Glove box heat source?

Just had my car serviced which included changing the airfilters, which I suppose is located in my glove box as the contents in there have been moved around- Is there any potential heat source that's created when changing it?

The reason I ask is because I noticed some black stuff in my glove box, took out my OFT tablet and noticed that a strip of the plastic along the top had melted. I originally thought it was oil from the mechanics gloves but when trying to rub it off, it's definitely melted plastic, and was recent as it still smelled and hadn't fully solidified.

I've always stored my OFT in my glove box and its never had part of it "melt" before, and my sunglasses and another plastic box that houses my exhaust valve switch seems to be unaffected by whatever heatsource was created.

Any ideas?
Sam86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
They will have to remove everything from the glove box to have it pull all the way down to get at the filter. Probable set it down on or near something hot.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Sam86 (10-13-2020), Spuds (10-15-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 PM   #3
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
They will have to remove everything from the glove box to have it pull all the way down to get at the filter. Probable set it down on or near something hot.
Possibly, strange though as he would've set down all my glove box items in the same place (since they're all together) yet only the OFT has been effected by whatever was hot enough to melt the plastic in the span of a few minutes.

Not a major issue since it still works, just annoying that it's all sticky
Old 10-13-2020, 11:22 PM   #4
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam86 View Post
Possibly, strange though as he would've set down all my glove box items in the same place (since they're all together) yet only the OFT has been effected by whatever was hot enough to melt the plastic in the span of a few minutes.

Not a major issue since it still works, just annoying that it's all sticky
Most of the time they just put your glove box contents on the seat or floor. Sure you didn't do something? Shops do that everyday. They are pretty good about handling your shit. I find it hard to believe they did something during the 15 seconds it took to change your fresh air filter.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Spuds (10-15-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 11:36 PM   #5
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Most of the time they just put your glove box contents on the seat or floor. Sure you didn't do something? Shops do that everyday. They are pretty good about handling your shit. I find it hard to believe they did something during the 15 seconds it took to change your fresh air filter.
That's why it makes no sense to me. 100% nothing i've done as the OFT is always in my glove box so it doesn't get stolen, and I don't even get much of a chance to drive aside from to and from work as my state is still in full covid lockdown.

I know 1 week ago my tablet was fine as I moved things in my glove box around. It's also been cold weather all week and i've probably only travelled a total of 70km in that 1 week period

The only things in my glovebox are my sunglasses, my valve control box and a cardboard airfreshener. The top part of my OFT had melted and some of it had got onto the cardboard airfreshener, I smelt it as soon as I opened my glove box.

The only driving I had done today was 5minutes to the mechanic, and home where I checked the glove box right away to make sure everything was there. He had moved around the wiring from my valve motor which is how I knew it had been disturbed and that's when I smelt and saw the still liquidy melted plastic residue.

Nothing in the glove box felt hot to the touch which is why I initially thought it was oil from the mechanics gloves from the oil change.

The melted part was on the part of the OFT tablet that was resting against the back of the glove box, on the bottom side (towards the passengers feet). My valve control box is to the left of it so it couldn't have been any heat coming from that as the side that was closest is fine
Old 10-15-2020, 01:23 AM   #6
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Hot summer? Leave OFT in car all day? Some plastics grease up when they are in prolonged hot environments
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 05:03 AM   #7
Sam86

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
Hot summer? Leave OFT in car all day? Some plastics grease up when they are in prolonged hot environments
Well, as I said it's winter where I live, been cold and raining all week, the plastic is thick enough to have been unaffected by any natural heat from months ago when it actually was hot. Safe to say the environment wasn't it
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 AM   #8
LimitedSlip
Senior Citizen Member

Drives: Then-1977 Celica GT Now-2017 860SE
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Did the technician have a trouble light with maybe a 100 watt incandescent light bulb in it? That could melt plastic given contact and a little time.
LimitedSlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:56 AM   #9
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Maybe they didn't have a laptop to warn them about danger to manifold, and your passenger side floor opened up.
DarkPira7e is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
pope (10-15-2020), soundman98 (10-15-2020), Spuds (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Maybe they didn't have a laptop to warn them about danger to manifold, and your passenger side floor opened up.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #11
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Not exactly sure how all the air is routed behind the dash, but I suppose some part of your glove box could get pretty hot if you ran on full heat, low fan for a while.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:01 PM   #12
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,948 Times in 2,182 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sounds like they plopped a halogen work light on the floor in front of the passenger seat then opened the glove box and things fell out.

Those halogens get way hot, and the metal grid on the front can catch hold of small stuff.

If the glove box got that hot on it's own, it would be dripping down the firewall.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:03 AM   #13
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I'm wondering if the oils from your cardboard air freshener reacted with the OFT surface and deformed it in a way that seems like it melted. If they're not normally in contact with each other and ended up that way because of your glovebox being moved and the contents rearranged, could be what happened. Those air fresheners often have warnings on them not to let them come in contact with certain surfaces or materials because the oil can stain them or break them down.

Edit: Upon some rereading, it's not likely that the oil would've done that over just a few minutes, or possibly even hours. It would've had to contact the surface for a while. What I've seen from people talking about a work light may be what happened, but I suspect other plastics in the box and the box itself would've been damaged too if it were that hot.