follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #29
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,224
Thanks: 6,637
Thanked 5,187 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)



A/S 3+ are 500 AA A. (IMO, the A/S+ grips like the 300 AA A MPSS tires I used in the rear)

Conti's OP was running 540 A A. So, IMO, the UTQG was more like 240 different from front to rear causing the issue. Not the road surface, not a tire defect. Especially, since I experienced the same exact issue with the Michelin A/S front tires and similar spec crappy rears.

Nitto Motivo I was running in the rear 540 A A. Same spec as the contis OP was using.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:35 PM   #30
OfficeWorker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2018 WRX STI
Location: Maryland
Posts: 107
Thanks: 56
Thanked 49 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
I'm not ruling that out as a possibility.

Again, the DWS 06 performs just fine over normal roads, there's no night-n-day difference like you said. It actually felt a bit more comfortable than the A/S 3. It's only over broken/rough pavement that this is an issue.

And by broken/rough, I mean the road looks like a contruction vehicle dragged its huge digging arm over the pavement a few times.
I've driven the DWS/DWS 06 largely in Baltimore City, although predominantly in FWD, some AWD, and always with a set of all four of the same DWS or DWS 06 with similar treadwear levels (although Continental themselves advises a rear install just as you did if replacing an axle set only.) The roads there are pretty bad (bent alloys are common), although the last time I was in GA there was some pretty serious construction going on too.

But across different cars with different drivetrains, transmissions (manual, semi, and auto), in a temperature range of around 100 F, in all weather conditions, in a distance roughly of that to the moon, these tires have always given me absolutely spectacular street performance.
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:42 AM   #31
Sc629
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 2017 86 Asphalt
Location: Indiana
Posts: 25
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OfficeWorker View Post
I've driven the DWS/DWS 06 largely in Baltimore City, although predominantly in FWD, some AWD, and always with a set of all four of the same DWS or DWS 06 with similar treadwear levels (although Continental themselves advises a rear install just as you did if replacing an axle set only.) The roads there are pretty bad (bent alloys are common), although the last time I was in GA there was some pretty serious construction going on too.

But across different cars with different drivetrains, transmissions (manual, semi, and auto), in a temperature range of around 100 F, in all weather conditions, in a distance roughly of that to the moon, these tires have always given me absolutely spectacular street performance.
Thank god cause i got a set of 4 getting installed later this week
Sc629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #32
nikitopo
Senior Member
 
nikitopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: '12 Forester, '14 BRZ, '20 BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 3,214
Thanks: 2,003
Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,042 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@reeves: Are you using the factory suggested 2.4 bar tire pressure? Try a smaller one. It should help a bit.

Last edited by nikitopo; 03-21-2018 at 05:35 AM.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:20 AM   #33
Alltezza
Senior Member
 
Alltezza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 666
Thanks: 439
Thanked 264 Times in 167 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wouldn't say these tires are bad, there are some people running DWS 06 on our cars.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=2


Here's a video of this guy running those tires (Description)
9:45 and 11:30 you can see this guy playing around with it

People here also run the same tires and have no issues (370Z, Camaros, Mustangs) all RWD there's also a lot of construction here in our area as well.

I saw someone else in this thread say they had the same problem, but also he/she has 2 different tires on the car, you should try running a set of 4 and let us know if you have any more problems hopefully it'll change your mind.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #34
reeves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: BRZ
Location: ATL, GA
Posts: 1,016
Thanks: 280
Thanked 392 Times in 263 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
@reeves: Are you using the factory suggested 2.4 bar tire pressure? Try a smaller one. It should help a bit.
Thanks nikitopo, but there's a slim to none chance I'm putting the Continentals back on my rears. I'm driving with them on the fronts right now (worn Michelins in the rear) and they don't cause the nannies to light up anymore. As soon as I decide what Michelins to replace them with, they're coming off for good.

I can't imagaine a few psi making much difference, however. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by the Michelins. I've had my A/S 3 tire pressure drop to 22-24 psi last winter before the warning light came on.. Didn't even realize I'd been driving around with low tire pressure for a few weeks up to that point. I inflated them back up to 40 psi for a while just to even out the tire wear. Never had any issues with the nannies once however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
I wouldn't say these tires are bad, there are some people running DWS 06 on our cars.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...80&postcount=2


Here's a video of this guy running those tires (Description)
9:45 and 11:30 you can see this guy playing around with it

People here also run the same tires and have no issues (370Z, Camaros, Mustangs) all RWD there's also a lot of construction here in our area as well.

I saw someone else in this thread say they had the same problem, but also he/she has 2 different tires on the car, you should try running a set of 4 and let us know if you have any more problems hopefully it'll change your mind.
Alltezza, I wouldn't say these tires are bad either... on 'normal' roads. What I'm describing only happens over unusually rough or broken pavement.

FYI, notice in the video he's got the traction control turned OFF.
I noted in my first post the issue goes away when you have the nannies disabled, but I'd prefer not to daily drive my car like that.

If I've never had any experience with a particular tire before, I always only buy 2 tires to 'test' them first. If I don't feel confident with them on my rears, there's no way I'm buying 2 more for the fronts.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:34 AM   #35
nikitopo
Senior Member
 
nikitopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: '12 Forester, '14 BRZ, '20 BRZ
Location: UK
Posts: 3,214
Thanks: 2,003
Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,042 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
Thanks nikitopo, but there's a slim to none chance I'm putting the Continentals back on my rears. I'm driving with them on the fronts right now (worn Michelins in the rear) and they don't cause the nannies to light up anymore. As soon as I decide what Michelins to replace them with, they're coming off for good.

I can't imagaine a few psi making much difference, however. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by the Michelins. I've had my A/S 3 tire pressure drop to 22-24 psi last winter before the warning light came on.. Didn't even realize I'd been driving around with low tire pressure for a few weeks up to that point. I inflated them back up to 40 psi for a while just to even out the tire wear. Never had any issues with the nannies once however.


Yes stick with Michelins. They are known to have softer sidewalls and will give you a better ride. You would have more tire freedom if you changed your suspension with one that has progressive rear springs (rear spring rates are the root of the cause), but probably too much for the moment.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #36
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente
 
finch1750's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Location: Stockton, CA
Posts: 11,407
Thanks: 9,149
Thanked 9,279 Times in 5,193 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I experienced this when I only replaced 2 of my Potenza S-04 after getting a flat. TC kicked in all the time on canyon drives and was horrible. I lived with it, it evened out a bit it seemed, then when I replaced the older 2 it started again. Finally I replaced all 4 and it was fine.


I think there is something with rolling diameter and/or grip level that the system just doesn't like
__________________

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (03-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 09:59 AM   #37
gravitylover
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Location: SE NY
Posts: 1,473
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 653 Times in 462 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Different compounds, different diameters and different harmonics will set off the tc on pretty much any new car especially with short sidewalls that accurately transmit info to the computer. You can't blame the tire but you can blame your approach of only buying two tires not 4.

I beat the living tar out of a set of DWS 06's through every possible condition other than snow, on some of the worst urban and suburban road conditions on the continent, over 1k miles on dirt roads and on pavement well over 100* and at 0* and the car was almost never unsettled due to the tires. These DWS' are great but they don't last as long as some others, I only got about 30k out of them on this car.
__________________
gravitylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 11:29 PM   #38
scottbrz
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
After 33K miles on the factory tires, they were finally getting too worn to be safe in heavy rain. So I decided to pick up a set of continental dws 06 in the stock size.

I was also experiencing a similar issue as the OP, where if I applied heavy throttle near the top of third gear, the traction control would kick in even though the tires were not slipping. I also had a bad pull to the right on moderate to heavy throttle.

In my case, it was a faulty tire. I used the "swap the tires around" trick to isolate the problem tire. Tirerack shipped a replacement and all is ok now.

As far as how the tires are: it's early, but I can say (vs the factory tires) they ride nicer, they grip way more, and they have notably soft sidewalls during hard driving. I had seen the soft sidewalls noted by others in reviews, so I was expecting them and consider them a tradeoff for the 20lb weight (vs 22-23 for most of the other options I was considering). Overall, I'm happy with the tires.
scottbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottbrz For This Useful Post:
bcj (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #39
holeeray
Member
 
holeeray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Location: NJ
Posts: 25
Thanks: 17
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbrz View Post
After 33K miles on the factory tires, they were finally getting too worn to be safe in heavy rain. So I decided to pick up a set of continental dws 06 in the stock size.

I was also experiencing a similar issue as the OP, where if I applied heavy throttle near the top of third gear, the traction control would kick in even though the tires were not slipping. I also had a bad pull to the right on moderate to heavy throttle.

In my case, it was a faulty tire. I used the "swap the tires around" trick to isolate the problem tire. Tirerack shipped a replacement and all is ok now.

As far as how the tires are: it's early, but I can say (vs the factory tires) they ride nicer, they grip way more, and they have notably soft sidewalls during hard driving. I had seen the soft sidewalls noted by others in reviews, so I was expecting them and consider them a tradeoff for the 20lb weight (vs 22-23 for most of the other options I was considering). Overall, I'm happy with the tires.

I'm considering the DWS 06, but the only ones I can find in the stock size are the XL (thicker side walls). Is that what you're running or did you manage to find them in the stock size without the XL designation?
holeeray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:30 PM   #40
scottbrz
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited PP
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 23
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holeeray View Post
I'm considering the DWS 06, but the only ones I can find in the stock size are the XL (thicker side walls). Is that what you're running or did you manage to find them in the stock size without the XL designation?
Mine are 'XL,' according to the tirerack item description on the order.
scottbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:53 AM   #41
vintagemxer
Senior Member
 
vintagemxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 110
Thanks: 253
Thanked 54 Times in 37 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Never an issue with any Continental I've ever run, ever ?
vintagemxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #42
SUSPECT_BRZ
Senior Member
 
SUSPECT_BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 205
Thanks: 61
Thanked 126 Times in 61 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I never had issues with the DWS06 as well. I had them on my previous car and they were probably the best tires I have ever owned.

You should never mix tires of different brands, treads, wear and tear on your vehicle. This was your mistake. That's why you rotate every now and again so you can increase their lifespan and switch them all out at the same time.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SUSPECT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-10-2020), Plumbus (10-12-2020)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tire Pressure for Continental ExtremeContact DWS paiceyfan Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 12 06-12-2017 04:48 PM
FS: Continental ExtremeContact DW Tires | 245/40/17 | Like New Condition smg1138 Wheels and Tires 4 02-10-2015 05:32 PM
FS: Set of 4 Continental ExtremeContact DWS 215/45ZR17 9K Miles bearze Wheels and Tires 16 12-19-2014 10:29 AM
Continental ExtremeContact DW, experiences? #87 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 5 03-09-2012 11:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.