follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I'd like it for street legal reasons, and not have to remove every 2 years for a smog check (post the initial 5-6 year of when a car is new).

I was thinking header and tune ( to remove as much of that torque lag as possible 3500-5k rpm). I'm not in any rush to do anything this minute, but was thinking 1-2 years out. I'll do more research and come back to this. I'm also unsure on EL or UEL header. I know UEL gives more of a boxer rumble , but not sure if there is any real performance difference (more hp/torque) by going with one over the other.
To be honest,

If you are going to do any sort of attempted power increase and dont want to bother switching out the header every few years i highly recommend the OFT Flexfuel kit and an Aftermarket Catback exhaust.

OFT allows you to switch back to stock tune within 5 minutes. Flex Fuel allows you to run E85, which with stock header will probably net you about a 20hp increase. And CBE will give a "tad" bit of performance while not affecting emissions at all.

Your only other option is to do a CARB legal Supercharger.

Be absolutley sure thats what you want. staying CARB legal and trying to add power is VERY expensive and VERY hard to do. I attempted the same thing (i'm in NorCal) and after not being able to hit any of my goals and overall being dissapointed with some decisions, i've decided i still have 5 more years before they start checking and started doing catless headers and i might even do a turbo in the future. If i had decided not to do all that i would have saved a lot more money and have completed most of my engine mods at this point. Right now i've basically started over from scratch.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 02:45 AM   #16
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the response. I have no clue on where to get E85 where I live… but I'll look into it. Or I just keep it stock, and save $$

….. or I wait till I move out of state