follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Adam_L

Drives: '16 FR-S RS2 MT, '06 xA Polar MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Strut...and anti-sway bar questions

Hello All,

So given our cars suspension geometry/ set up from stock oem, can you please answer the following questions:

1. On adjustable struts/shocks, is it best to at least get front adjustable struts ( I know, all 4 corners is ideal, more adjustability ) ? Not sure given rwd, but on the one main fwd car i've owned, it was best to at least get front adjustable to tune out over/under steer , and possibly made your suspension last a bit longer (as it gets more soft with use, then set the strut rate stiffer to compensate for that change).

2. Is it best to at least get a rear anti sway bar (versus going front+rear). Most cars that I hear of people putting anti sway bars on seems like the rear is the main advantage. Also a thicker gauge (say 19mm) is best. Not so sure on the consensus on hollow tubing (sure it's lighter...but doubt it's stiffer) vs straight steel tubing.

I haven't searched high/ low on the forums here for users experiences, please excuse my oversight here.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:42 PM   #2
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
1. On adjustable struts/shocks, ..........
What is it you are wanting to achieve?
While I might have read of people changing springs at one end only I don't remember reading of anyone changing the dampers at one end only.

2. Is it best to at least get a rear anti sway bar (versus going front+rear). Most cars that I hear of people putting anti sway bars on seems like the rear is the main advantage. Also a thicker gauge (say 19mm) is best.
Once again it depends on what you are trying to achieve: there is no best. Usually if if someone is just wanting to change the under/over steer sway bars are the least expensive way to start. I don't have standard rate springs and I don't have any sway bars.
Until you tell us what your goals are there's not much to say. Let me repeat: there is no universal "best".

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
Adam_L

Ok, fair enough.

To lower the car 1" to 1.2" ( haven't decided yet on which), give it a lower center of gravity and have it handle a bit better then stock. It isn't exactly a daily driver now, but in 2-3 years from now it will be my main daily driver ( I won't do any suspension changes for another 2-3 years, just doing my homework now). I'd be fine with a quality strut and spring since it would mainly be a DD. I'll also do a tire swap pretty much at the same time doing suspension (something a bit more sticky, maybe a 225-45-17) , yet fairly durable (possibly a model Michelin will offer at the time)
Old 12-03-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/eiba...l#.WEMxLWK9KSM

Lowers 1.4", works with OEM struts. Add in some camber bolts for the front and this is probably the quickest and easiest option. A lot of people run these springs with great success.

Wait until you've done your suspension changes and then see if you need to fine tune things with swaybars. If the new suspension address all of your needs, swaybars are money that doesn't need to be spent.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Adam_L

Thanks for the tip.

I won't go each sportlines, as I had a bad experience in the past with them. I'm leaning towards each pro , or H&R springs at present. So I can use my stock struts, if I do a 1"- 1.4" huhhh. Hmmmm. Gotta get in there and make the swap, I'm pretty sure going quality, aftermarket, adjustable wouldn't be a bad idea ( thus my question which is most advantageous front or rear adjustable)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
gramicci101
Off Topic

If you're going to do aftermarket springs and struts at the same time, then other options open up for around the same price. For instance, Eibach Pros and Bilstein B6s will run you about 1100. For around 900, you could get a set of Tein Flex Z coilovers, which is a great option, by all the reviews. Around 1100, Bilstein B14 coilovers. There are other coilover options in the same range, of varying levels of quality. Look up reviews on anything you're looking at before purchasing.
Teseo (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #7
Adam_L

Correct, gotcha. Right, sounds like I could go the coil over route, fairly good quality, for $1100-1300 range that I have seen...good review.

Ultimately, I'd like to find a set up that gives the same/ similar ride performance as stock. Seems like when you lower 1.2"+ ( with aftermarket springs/struts), then there are some compromises that have to be made ( travel geometry greatly changes). I'd think going with an upper quality progressive spring (eibach pros) , along with a quality adjustable damper strut...would combat this situation well. ( tune out the bad, tune in the good). I haven't got really any experience with coil overs to know what to / what not to look for.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
there are some compromises
There are always compromises.
These cars do not have a lot of travel to begin with. I will state the obvious: the lower you go the less travel you have. Generally speaking if you have less travel you will need higher rate springs which means less comfort. Yes, you can have comfortable ride with higher rate springs but then the quality of damping becomes paramount.

As @gramicci101 mentioned from all accounts the Tein Z are great value.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Teseo (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #9
Adam_L

I know coil overs offer adjustable ride height , however are the dampers adjustable (on $1000-$1300 models) ?? Not trying to break the bank. No doubt money will need to be spent for the desired effect, but I pretty much draw the line at $800-1300 range in parts
Old 12-03-2016, 06:34 PM   #10
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
I know coil overs offer adjustable ride height , however are the dampers adjustable (on $1000-$1300 models) ?? parts
Some are, some aren't. The quality of damping is more important than having adjustment. That is , a quality non adjustable damper is better than a shitty adjustable damper.
Many Ebay Specials offer 40 click adjustable dampers. These are one way adjustable, compression damping only. The "40 click" is a sales pitch with little practical benefit. You cannot build dampers with decent damping at $600. It costs money to design and build dampers. If you are paying $14k for your coilovers you are not paying for the springs. Many of the Teins only offer 16 click adjustment but each click actually has an effect as opposed to just sounding cool sounding good over drinks. "Yeah but I have 40 click adjustment so that's better than your 16 clicks".

My take on the matter goes like this:
As soon as you start to move your suspension is working. It is working if you hit a pothole at 5 km/h. It is working if you take a sweeper at 100km/h. It is working as you accelerate and as you brake. Spend as much as you can on your suspension.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (12-03-2016), Teseo (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 07:03 PM   #11
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
I know coil overs offer adjustable ride height , however are the dampers adjustable (on $1000-$1300 models) ?? Not trying to break the bank. No doubt money will need to be spent for the desired effect, but I pretty much draw the line at $800-1300 range in parts
Seriously look into the Tein Flex Z's. They are adjustable and have camber plates included. They offer a lot of features that much higher priced coilovers have. The reason they're such a low price is that they're designed not to be rebuildable, where something like a KW v3 is. That said, they'll still last as long as any other high end strut, and the fact that they're designed exactly for the springs they have means there will be no mismatch in damping rates.
Teseo (12-03-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 PM   #12
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
Seriously look into the Tein Flex Z's. They are adjustable and have camber plates included. They offer a lot of features that much higher priced coilovers have. The reason they're such a low price is that they're designed not to be rebuildable, where something like a KW v3 is. That said, they'll still last as long as any other high end strut, and the fact that they're designed exactly for the springs they have means there will be no mismatch in damping rates.
Since tein flex z are not rebuildable, need to buy all over again? Or i can buy the strut separetly and where?
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #13
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Since tein flex z are not rebuildable, need to buy all over again? Or i can buy the strut separetly and where?
That would be a question for one of the vendors, probably CSG Mike. I would probably just purchase all over again, since they're about as much as a set of Bilstein B6's.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:19 PM   #14
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
That would be a question for one of the vendors, probably CSG Mike. I would probably just purchase all over again, since they're about as much as a set of Bilstein B6's.
I believe they sell just the strut. You keep your old perches, springs, etc and swap them onto the replacement strut. They're something like 200 per corner if I remember right?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote