follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2019, 03:33 PM   #43
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I talked to the local dealer and they said number one if the car fails from the recall subaru will be footing the bill. They also said when we pressed them on the post failures they believed any issues were related to dealers who got the parts early but neglected to wait until they could be trained be an area rep mechanic despite subaru warning them to wait.

I guess I was overreacting in my post above but I find it very alarming people having failures right away. Also the gentleman claiming he had to pay labor for the fix. I don't see how they could pull that. My thing is have a rule where I cut ties on anything with an imminent mechanical failure, so it's better to rip the band aid off early.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #44
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna View Post
Subaru did issue a recall when they found out about it. It's not like VW who knew they were cheating, then tried to cover it up.

Unrelated: I find it interesting that haven't seen and BRZ owners posting any issues after taking the car in for the recall, only FRSs. Could it be just an issue of Toyota dealership techs not being used to working on boxer engines, thus misapplying sealant or making other errors on things specific to them?
I counted 2-3 already. But definitely skewed toward the Toyota side right now.
Anyone check forums for the other cars included in the recall?
Like the other Subaru's?

See if they are reporting problems too.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-28-2019), ZionsWrath (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 03:45 PM   #45
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Subaru did issue a recall when they found out about it. It's not like VW who knew they were cheating, then tried to cover it up.

Unrelated: I find it interesting that haven't seen and BRZ owners posting any issues after taking the car in for the recall, only FRSs. Could it be just an issue of Toyota dealership techs not being used to working on boxer engines, thus misapplying sealant or making other errors on things specific to them?
No, no they did not. I guess you never even bothered to read the main article on the subject when it came out, lolz.

Six years after Subaru first learned that a crucial engine part might fail and cause the vehicle to stall the automaker is recalling about 165,000 vehicles in the United States.

The automaker told federal regulators it first learned of a problem in April 2012 and in May 2013 it made a manufacturing improvement to the valve springs to make them stronger.

Between April 2012 and August in 2015 Subaru said it had eleven reports of vehicles stalling in the United States.

However, because of the “limited number” instead of a recall it decided to “monitor the field for any changes and continued parts (engine) collection for additional analysis.”

They knew they were a problem the second the made the manufacturing change. They simply did not want to announce a 150+ thousand examples of their new engine platform came with a fatal flaw.

LIMITED NUMBER MY A. This deceitful statement paints their true intentions in my opinion. Also they say it's a safety issue now so it's good to know 165k? in the us only not even worldwide, don't matter and are a "limited" number.

They also strategically waited until cars were long out of warranty assuredly hoping cost would be minimized by people being ignorant of the problem, out of warranty and having their engines blow with no other recourse than bucko bucks. We know of at least a number of those from the forum.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/.../#67ba3b453d58

Last edited by subaru; 02-28-2019 at 04:03 PM.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to subaru For This Useful Post:
Decay107 (02-28-2019), Ultramaroon (03-01-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #46
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Failure After J02 Recall: Registry Thread

I would love to know what bearing number is failing too. There is a oil gallery near the edge of the timing cover that feeds the heads. The RH block is feed through the heads and the LH block is feed direct. So if that one oil gallery was blocked it would potentially starve the RH block. I can't recall which rods are feed by the RH block though. When I get home tonight I will look at my old block and crank to find out. My bet is that most of the rod failures will be the ones feed by the RH block and could be due to that oil gallery in the timing cover being blocked.

Edit: Scratch that. I looked at my block and all bearings (mains and rods) are feed via the LH block which is a direct feed from the pump with packing no where in sight. The chart actually shows that I just didn’t read it correctly. The only thing I can see going wrong due to the recall is packing in the pickup either from excessive packing breaking off or debris from the clean up. If they blocked the gallery in the timing cover that I was referring to it would actually just divert more pressure to the bearings. My block had packing blocking one of the returns from the heads but this packing isn’t touched on the recall.

So now I’m curious if they aren’t using the correct Threebond and it breaks away easier than the correct stuff or maybe they are throwing oil in it and starting it before it cures. I forget what the cure time was on the Threebond. I didn’t put oil back in mine for days because I just didn’t have time to work on the project.

What a mess this whole recall is. I feel really bad for everyone getting screwed by the dealers.

Last edited by ermax; 02-28-2019 at 09:56 PM.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
H1C (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #47
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Unfortunetly it looks like I am the only one. Mine sounds more like a timing chain issue. I’m very unsure though with my little knowledge of motors
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #48
venenon

Drives: 2013 FRS , 2002 MDX, ZZR600
Garage
The dealer that did my service recommended I call the Toyota Experience hotline at 1-800-331-4331. I spoke with Jeff who advised me to take my car to another shop for a second opinion and continue to press the issue. Here we go.
venenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #49
ORrooster

Drives: Your FR-S like he stole it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
They also strategically waited until cars were long out of warranty assuredly hoping cost would be minimized by people being ignorant of the problem, out of warranty and having their engines blow with no other recourse than bucko bucks
I also do not think that it is coincidental that they held off until 2019 to launch this campaign affecting 2013s pretty much eliminated coverage based on time for even the most babied FR-S.

If these engines were failing after repairs, and still covered by the Manufacturer's Warranty, the Dealers and Toyota/Subaru could fight over who's paying for it while the customer drives away.
ORrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:06 PM   #50
ORrooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
So now I’m curious if they aren’t using the correct Threebond and it breaks away easier than the correct stuff or maybe they are throwing oil in it and starting it before it cures. I forget what the cure time was on the Threebond.
The Toyota sealer commonly used is black. Possible but that isn't what is supposed to be used (obviously).

Two hour cure time I believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to ORrooster For This Useful Post:
ermax (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #51
ermax

Failure After J02 Recall: Registry Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
The Toyota sealer commonly used is black. Possible but that isn't what is supposed to be used (obviously).

Two hour cure time I believe.

Actually no they aren’t supposed to use the Toyota stuff. The manual, recall instructions and a TSB all mandate Threebond 1217H. I have no doubt they use the Toyota stuff though because it’s on hand.

Edit: Sorry I misread you post. It’s past my bedtime. Hahaha
Old 02-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #52
ORrooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
That really is a massive amount of sealant. See how it bleeds over to the next part? That's one issue. The other is all those strings to push out the sides, as much goes in as out. They aren't really attached and can easily falling off and clog the screen.
If you ran the sealant bead exactly in the middle, then equal amounts might squeeze out from inside and out. You could apply closer to inner or outer to manipulate that.

The amount of sealer circled in the picture doesn't look too excessive to me for a plate blocking where the vacuum pump mounts for automatic transmission equipped vehicles. The cam is still pretty far away from that and there's no pressurized oil or passages there.

I would not go in screaming about what I'm seeing in that picture other than, I hope they're not planning to reuse any of that. That is shit technique for organising anything you plan to reassemble.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:23 PM   #53
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORrooster View Post
I hope they're not planning to reuse any of that. That is shit technique for organising anything you plan to reassemble.

I was thinking the same thing. Seems they have already made the decision to throw a long block in there. Hahaha
Old 03-01-2019, 04:07 AM   #54
Magoo

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
https://www.kbklegal.com/class-actions_1.html

Let's do this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Magoo For This Useful Post:
CT86 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:40 AM   #55
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
https://www.kbklegal.com/class-actions_1.html

Let's do this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Who do you go after though? It’s the dealers causing the problem, not Toyota. Seems you would only have a case if you had several failures at the same dealer. Maybe a lawyer could find a clever way to pin it on Toyota. It does seem like Toyota should have some liability in this.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:08 AM   #56
Dynames05

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynames05 View Post
Vehicle Mileage: 124,361
Vehicle Make: BRZ
Mileage After Recall Performed: roughly 200
Symptom(s): loud ticking on left side of engine, different weird noise on right side. Also tech broke manifold decroative cover
Failure:tbd
State:PA
Dealership Offering Repair:Recall done at Calkins, going to take it back after work.

I was at my usual mechanic trying to find the location of a squeak when turning the wheel right at speeds below 5mph when I noticed the manifold cover was loose. When I took it off the front snap was broken and someone trying to glue it back together. Also noticed that there were two different sides froming from different sides of the block. The left side was a ticking noise he said sounded like valve knock, the other side was a noise I hadn't heard before.

Car seems to drive fine, but when its cold it is sluggish compared to before I took it in. After reading this thread I'm both scared and upset about what might happen.
UPDATE: Talked to Calkins and they are replacing the engine cover. They also had a tech come out and listen and he says in the fuel injectors switching from direct to port injection. I youtube'd the noise and it sounds like the crickets other people had posted.

What confuses me is that the car didn't make that noise before I took it in.
Dynames05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue