follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
mackeye

Drives: BRZ Pearl White Satin
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Angry Engine failure!

Hi guys,

After having enjoyed my car BRZ for 5 years, it seems that I finally need to tell her goodbye.
In 2016 I had an engine failure and Subaru replaced my engine as it was still under warranty. Diagnostic : "strange, we don't know what happened...first time we face this..."
In December, I had the Engine Check light and went to Subaru. They checked my car and told me that there is nothing unusual. Same thing happened on January 5th and again they connected my car to the pc and found nothing. 4 days later I had an engine failure when my warranty past on January 7th!
The dealer doesn't want to take it under warranty while I have done all my car maintenance at their garage plus I always took good care of my car, never went on a racing course and those kind of things.

I'm sad about this situation and don't know if I have to take a legal action against my dealer as they have noticed nothing when it was still under warranty.

I am wondering if anyone f you have come across such case or know about such failure with this car?
mackeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:51 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,821 Times in 16,427 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeye View Post
Hi guys,

After having enjoyed my car BRZ for 5 years, it seems that I finally need to tell her goodbye.
In 2016 I had an engine failure and Subaru replaced my engine as it was still under warranty. Diagnostic : "strange, we don't know what happened...first time we face this..."
In December, I had the Engine Check light and went to Subaru. They checked my car and told me that there is nothing unusual. Same thing happened on January 5th and again they connected my car to the pc and found nothing. 4 days later I had an engine failure when my warranty past on January 7th!
The dealer doesn't want to take it under warranty while I have done all my car maintenance at their garage plus I always took good care of my car, never went on a racing course and those kind of things.

I'm sad about this situation and don't know if I have to take a legal action against my dealer as they have noticed nothing when it was still under warranty.

I am wondering if anyone f you have come across such case or know about such failure with this car?
Well, mackeye , that's too bad ......

Questions:

* did you have any major power mods (i.e. FI)..??

* when they "replaced" the engine was it a re-build or did they change the engine .. ??

* if you got a CEL was there a code thrown ..?? If so, what was it..??

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackeye View Post
That is going to look really bad on the dealership if they don't fix your car under warranty. You may have to get a lawyer but start escalating because they can't just blow off your problem in order to let the warranty expire. That is fraud.
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:01 PM   #4
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Common sense would dictate that you initially brought the car in with a problem under warranty that then escalated, so they should fix it under warranty. I would try to bring it up to the next level of the Subaru organization (national?, regional?) as they have a certain amount of power over dealerships as I understand it.

How did it fail? Any idea why?
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-27-2018), mackeye (01-31-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
IMHO
Since you went to them twice for help and they said nothing wrong, and then a few days later the engine quit. They should have recorded your complaint and there diagnosis. Our dealership even takes a picture of the car entering the service bay. This is wonderful fodder for both a lawyer and for a newspaper add. It could be said that they ignored the problem until the warranty expired only a few days later. Have all your ducks in a row, ask to see the dealership owner, and be prepared to do what ever you say you might do. Make sure you only state the facts and state anything else as your personal opinion.

Something similar happened to me many years ago when I went to a dealer with a problem. they ordered parts, they came in wrong, I went on a long trip. When I got back the service center said I was out of warrantee, I went to the owner and he said he was shocked at the service people. I do not know if he was truly shocked or the service department was told to save money or what. But, they fixed it at no cost.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-27-2018), mackeye (01-31-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Don't know about Europe but Subaru Canada policy is if the car was brought in for an issue prior to warranty expiration they will record that and if there is further issue within a "reasonable period" after it expires they will cover it. If there was a CEL there was a code so they must have found something. I would escalate to concern to Subaru Europe customer service. Get all your info together (dates, times, who spoke to, what was said, etc) and give them a call. Go over the dealer's head!
Cole (01-27-2018), DarkSunrise (01-28-2018), Spuds (01-27-2018), Zentec (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Common sense would dictate that you initially brought the car in with a problem under warranty that then escalated, so they should fix it under warranty. I would try to bring it up to the next level of the Subaru organization (national?, regional?) as they have a certain amount of power over dealerships as I understand it.

How did it fail? Any idea why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1ac View Post
IMHO
Since you went to them twice for help and they said nothing wrong, and then a few days later the engine quit. They should have recorded your complaint and there diagnosis. Our dealership even takes a picture of the car entering the service bay. This is wonderful fodder for both a lawyer and for a newspaper add. It could be said that they ignored the problem until the warranty expired only a few days later. Have all your ducks in a row, ask to see the dealership owner, and be prepared to do what ever you say you might do. Make sure you only state the facts and state anything else as your personal opinion.

Something similar happened to me many years ago when I went to a dealer with a problem. they ordered parts, they came in wrong, I went on a long trip. When I got back the service center said I was out of warrantee, I went to the owner and he said he was shocked at the service people. I do not know if he was truly shocked or the service department was told to save money or what. But, they fixed it at no cost.
Keep in mind he is in Europe. The threat of a lawyer may not carry the same weight as it would in the US. Even in Canada the treat of legal action is often "So? Go ahead" since suing does not usually have the same results as down there.
Spuds (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #8
ajcarson11

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (Black)
I'm the sort of person who never complains, never throws a fit (but also never takes anything to the dealer anyway) -- but I would fight this. Based upon the information you've given here they will absolutely have to resolve it, or your case with a law firm would be strong.

I would call the dealer, gather the paperwork from their last 2 'no issue' investigations and go from there. You should be able to win this, unless you've left out information in your original post.
ajcarson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajcarson11 For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Keep in mind he is in Europe. The threat of a lawyer may not carry the same weight as it would in the US. Even in Canada the treat of legal action is often "So? Go ahead" since suing does not usually have the same results as down there.
Yes I recognized that. That's why I recommend that OP try to talk to higher levels of the local Subaru organization. Getting legal professionals involved at this point is not the best idea even in the USA. All you have to do is show that you are serious about holding them accountable. If you aren't getting anywhere with the rep, go to their boss or next higher organization.
Spuds is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-27-2018), Zentec (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Yes I recognized that. That's why I recommend that OP try to talk to higher levels of the local Subaru organization. Getting legal professionals involved at this point is not the best idea even in the USA. All you have to do is show that you are serious about holding them accountable. If you aren't getting anywhere with the rep, go to their boss or next higher organization.
Yep. I added that part more for the guys that would follow with:

We all know that is what the big response will be.
Spuds (01-27-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #11
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,521 Times in 18,922 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Sue those fuckers!
Old 01-27-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
I wouldn't even mention possible legal action until you exhaust all other options of escalation. Once you start talking about getting a lawyer they could very well just defer everything to their legal department and refuse to even discuss the problem until it's been resolved in court.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
mackeye (01-31-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #13
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Subaru is not focusing anymore in Europe. The competition comparing to US was much harder and many times had to fight with unfair regulations. How can you survive in an environment where others were cheating and your engines were void as inappropriate? Currently, they are in a situation of cost reduction and closing offices.

Good luck with your engine issue ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-29-2018)
Old 01-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #14
Zentec

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
It’s not about Suing it’s more about them hold up to being accountable for the products and services they provide. One of the major reasons I bought One was because it was a car designed and build by 2 repbutal manufacturers. Being that there was obviously a pre exhisting problem they should have replaced the car or fixed it. Take it to the top level dealers won’t move it up you have to go above. A local tv channel will help you escalate it if you are having problems with upper level corprate. Stick to just the facts and not opinions like others have said be calm and show your paperwork.
Zentec is offline   Reply With Quote