follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Edi

Drives: IS300
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wink FT-86 "Best in the world" for drifting!

Heres something ineteresting.....

Quote:
chief engineer Tetsuya Tada replied: “Many people think it should be 50:50, but we did lots of tests and that isn’t the best for drifting. That’s why the gearbox is at the front not the rear. Drifting and sliding the tail is the most important thing, and this car will be the best in the world for that.”

The show-car’s FT86 name is a reference to the AE86, by the way, but Tada says the production car might be called Celica.
http://www.motortrend.com/auto_news/...ame/index.html

Last edited by Edi; 10-23-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Edi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
scape

Drives: yaris
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i just don't see why it would be called celica, it's not fwd, it's rwd. and shares nothing similar... i also don't know why they would want this to be off-balance weight-wise and WANT it to drift: not all drivers are drifters...
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Jimdawg

Drives: '05 Impreza 4d WRX + '04 Impreza TS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
i just don't see why it would be called celica, it's not fwd, it's rwd. and shares nothing similar... i also don't know why they would want this to be off-balance weight-wise and WANT it to drift: not all drivers are drifters...
Indeed not all drivers are drifters, and most people that think they are drifting are actually just diong powerslides (ie sliding out of control). Nevertheless, a car designed to be a drift monster can and probably will do other styles/tasks well. I mean, Landrovers are arguably some of the best off road vehicles but they also make great commuter right? Bad example but you get my point.

Also, Celicas were historically RWD until they changed them in 1986. I'd hate the Celica tag too but what else can they call it in the US??? Trueno? Levin? COROLLA? haha. So yah... Celica ftl I'd take Celica over Scion branding any day.
Jimdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
JDMinc

Drives: IS300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimdawg View Post
Indeed not all drivers are drifters, and most people that think they are drifting are actually just diong powerslides (ie sliding out of control). Nevertheless, a car designed to be a drift monster can and probably will do other styles/tasks well. I mean, Landrovers are arguably some of the best off road vehicles but they also make great commuter right? Bad example but you get my point.

Also, Celicas were historically RWD until they changed them in 1986. I'd hate the Celica tag too but what else can they call it in the US??? Trueno? Levin? COROLLA? haha. So yah... Celica ftl I'd take Celica over Scion branding any day.
Could call it something completely new. Not like Celica historically carries the same brand power as say the Supra, at least not for me.

No "Celica" please
JDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
scape

Drives: yaris
the name celica would totally dumb this car down, just like that
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Blokatos

Drives: MX5 Miata Mk2.5 1.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post

That's great news

The drivers who don't feel like drifting can...
a) go slower
b) buy a turbo'ed fwd hatchback

There is a need for a sports car that will go sideways if you try to push it.

Back to the ancient art of (true) driving!
Blokatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scape View Post
The original Celica was RWD, but it sounds like the article is speculation it says could get. That is just their way of stirring the pot.

Like i said in the nomenclature post, it wold be pointless to call it a spiritual successor of the AE86 and then name it Celcia.
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Shevon

Drives: Accord Coupe
Toyota FT-86 is fine with me.
Shevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
Blokatos

Drives: MX5 Miata Mk2.5 1.6
I must admit that FT86 is much better than Celica.
Celica reminds of something for soft cruising.

Back to the ancient art of driving!
Blokatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMinc View Post
Could call it something completely new. Not like Celica historically carries the same brand power as say the Supra, at least not for me.

No "Celica" please
You do know that the "Supra" started out as just a top of the line trim option on the Celica right? It meant that you got the bigger inline 6 engine, a tiny supra badge, and a different front facia. Having owned a MKII Celica Supra, yes that's what they were called, I can tell you that it wasn't all that much different from the base celica of that time. The supra was to the celica as the STi is to the WRX, same car with a more powerful engine and a few differnet body panels. It wasn't until the third generation did the Supra break away into it's own model when the celica went FWD. So technically the Celica has been around much longer and carries way more historical value.

The problem is that nintendo generation fanbois only think of the MKIV when you say Supra and have no sense of where that car came from. If it wasn't for the Celica there would have been no supra. And since Toyota is trying to get back to it's roots with cheap affordable RWD sportscars then the Celica name fits a lot more than the luxo gt cruiser supra.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Ricepuddin
Get a Bowl

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
You do know that the "Supra" started out as just a top of the line trim option on the Celica right? It meant that you got the bigger inline 6 engine, a tiny supra badge, and a different front facia. Having owned a MKII Celica Supra, yes that's what they were called, I can tell you that it wasn't all that much different from the base celica of that time. The supra was to the celica as the STi is to the WRX, same car with a more powerful engine and a few differnet body panels. It wasn't until the third generation did the Supra break away into it's own model when the celica went FWD. So technically the Celica has been around much longer and carries way more historical value.

The problem is that nintendo generation fanbois only think of the MKIV when you say Supra and have no sense of where that car came from. If it wasn't for the Celica there would have been no supra. And since Toyota is trying to get back to it's roots with cheap affordable RWD sportscars then the Celica name fits a lot more than the luxo gt cruiser supra.
Not to mention tne Supra is a Heavy Dyno/Highway queen... not the idea behind the FT-86
Ricepuddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post

agreed. back when the celica first debuted in the 1970s, the celica was the true sports car in the toyota lineup, while the levin/trueno was more of a sporty corolla. even in the 80s when the ae86 was out, the mark I and mark II supra were actually called "celica xx" in japan. even after the celica went FF, there was always the GT-Four spec which carried on the true sports car mantle, all the way up to the 6th gen celica (during the same time, the levin had become FF as well). it was only the 7th gen celica that was only offered in FF(at least in japan). so historically speaking, the Celica name has more of a true sporting heritage within the toyota hierarchy. well, before '99 anyway.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
back when the celica first debuted in the 1970s, the celica was the true sports car in the toyota lineup, while the levin/trueno was more of a sporty corolla.
I agree. Despite toyota claiming the AE86 as the inspiration for this new FT-86, in my mind, the car is really a throwback to the original celicas. Cheap, lightweight, RWD, dedicated sportscars. Nothing against the AE86 it's a fun car but it was not designed to be a sportscar it just happened that people found out later how capable they were. The celica was designed from the start to be a sportscar just like the FT-86. I would not be disappointed at all if they revived the celica name with this car.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #14
FT///R86

Drives: Toyota Matrix
I hope they choose a new name. Celica has had a negative reputation among many in the US. It would not make sense for Toyota USA. I think it's a bit premature to say that the FT will be a mean lean drift machine. I personally won't be drifting when I purchase. I like time attack and road racing and that's what I plan on doing. I like to watch drifting but I'm not good at it.
FT///R86 is offline   Reply With Quote