follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
camcmw

Drives: mazda sp20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'll wait for the japanese used import version to arrive in NZ. A few years down the track but no doubt worth the wait.

The really exciting thing about this car to me is the engine. I've owned a 99 2.0L impreza and found the reliability to be average at best (piston slap at 60k without too much hard driving - very annoying). A mate owned a 2.5 legacy wagon and went through a few motors (admitedly he is hard on cars, but then his old corrolla never complained!). I love the concept of the boxer engine, the sound it makes, smoothness, low center of gravity. It has character which is lacking in all other japanese four cylinders. The execution by Subaru (just my opinion) lacks the depth of engineering that you can always rely on with other japanese brands. I have the feeling that some of the best Subaru engines were back in the early 90's with the 2.2L (pretty much bombproof) but since then they have lost there way a bit.

This partnership between Toyota and Subaru certainly grabs my attention. A Subaru boxer engine with Toyota depth of engineering. There is plenty of talk around about toyota cylinder heads, more advanced direct fuel injection. In essence, toyota powertrain excellence with subaru boxer engine character. More frugality and reliability. Lets hope the engineers make it play a nice exaust tune. What more could the consumer possibly demand!

It would also be nice if this engine made its way into more mainstream everyday models. This engine in my old impreza ski wagon would be fantastic. Maybe that task will be left to subaru.

Cam
camcmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
+1
Some Guy

Drives: Invisible FT-86 (Stock)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey Guys i just posted a poll about the pricing, so let your voice be heard
+1 is offline   Reply With Quote