follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #71
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,592 Times in 2,933 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
That is because at 15 over in most states there is a big jump in fines. I have the greatest respect for law enforcement officers but when they falsify just to collect more money then that respect is eroded. My incident was the first time I have ever had one do that to me. I have had a total of 5 tickets in my 46 years of driving. I never argued about any of them until this last one. I was so adamant about being falsely accused that the deputy called two other patrol vehicles for back-up. It still pisses me off!
Were you able to fight it and win?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 PM   #72
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

Have you had an incidence where you felt your FR-S/BRZ was profiled by law enforcement … ??

humfrz

Yes. By a cop who was none too quick to brag about his 400 or 500 or whatever horsepower Camaro as he smugly wrote the citation. I posted the whole stupid situation in some other thread a while back, though.

I think it comes down to shiny sports cars = more pulling over

Ever since I've left the hot lava FRS to a boring grey RSX, I've never been looked at twice by cops.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-18-2015), soulreapersteve (09-19-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 PM   #73
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Hum, Hum, Hum I am disappointed in you. Doing 68 in a 55 is hardly even worth it.

I get 'reverse' profiled all the time. Cops turn around to get behind me, pull out as soon as I pass them if they are parked or maneuver to get behind me in traffic all the time. Since their computers are mounted fairly high I watch them pull up my plates. Since they always leave right after doing so I can only presume they see my age and clean record and figure it isn't worth their time to pull me over. Since I drive at high revs with a loud exhaust and my car would probably wonder what the hell was up if I wasn't doing at least 10 or 15 MPH over the limit then I have no other answer why I never get pulled over much less not get a ticket.
humfrz (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 09:37 PM   #74
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Since I drive at high revs with a loud exhaust and my car would probably wonder what the hell was up if I wasn't doing at least 10 or 15 MPH over the limit then I have no other answer why I never get pulled over much less not get a ticket.

Lucky bastard...
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 10:48 PM   #75
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Honestly I hear this stuff all the time. While there are some cases of idiotic police, If you go the speed limit and don't act like a douchebag cops will ignore you.

And if you are polite to the cops you talk to they are more likely to to walk away with nothing more than a "be safe" or the like.

Pretty much every car I have ever driven has stood out. From a Neon Blue Saab Viggen to a gigantic green Taurus SHO. The only time I've ever been bothered by police is when I've been doubling the speed limit. I also have no problem sticking my cruise control on at the speed limit any time I even think there is a cop near. The best advice as was said above is to find someone going way too fast and stay as far back as you can while still being in visual distance. Usually even if the cop is coming behind you they will ignore you and go for the car in front of you. But I prefer not speeding, to the point of being the car being driven like a blind old lady is driving that absolutely everyone passes.

Also, if you say idiotically naive things they seem to leave you alone. My favorite was when I was with a group of kids drinking on a beach. I was easily the oldest and I flat out told the cop,"nothing illegal was going on here." Seriously the cop said thank you and left.

I'm shocked anyone ever goes anywhere near the border in Texas unless they absolutely can't get out of it. If even 25% of the rumors you hear are true it is just not worth it.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:34 PM   #76
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,862 Times in 16,439 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
OMG ...... Now, I'm screwed ....... as you can see from my screen shot ....... they are watching me .......

Are THEY watching you on your screen ...... or just me ....... ??

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
ajaxthebetter (09-18-2015), Celica00 (09-19-2015), DGM33 (09-21-2015), soulreapersteve (09-19-2015), Tcoat (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:09 AM   #77
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
I'm shocked anyone ever goes anywhere near the border in Texas unless they absolutely can't get out of it. If even 25% of the rumors you hear are true it is just not worth it.
I can't get out of it. Or rather, my company pays me way too much to refuse the trip down there. Luckily I only have to visit. You couldn't get me to actually live down there.

Not because of safety, though. The US side of the border is reasonably safe. The other side is where there are issues. The US side is just one long asscrack with no redeeming qualities, which the state has somehow managed to make even worse by filling it with state troopers.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:16 AM   #78
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
That is because at 15 over in most states there is a big jump in fines. I have the greatest respect for law enforcement officers but when they falsify just to collect more money then that respect is eroded. My incident was the first time I have ever had one do that to me. I have had a total of 5 tickets in my 46 years of driving. I never argued about any of them until this last one. I was so adamant about being falsely accused that the deputy called two other patrol vehicles for back-up. It still pisses me off!
Oh I know, I posted as much earlier in this thread that 15 is a big line in the sand, humfrz was after all doing 13 over, suppose I should have been more explicit, I knew I was doing at least 10 over, I would have estimated 48 in a 35, cop said I was doing more than 15 over (I think he said he "paced me at 58" which is ludicrous because I only got on the gas for about 200 ft) and wrote me up for 15, difference between 15 and 10 is negligible (what would I have saved, $50?) and I got it erased with traffic school so I let it go.
strat61caster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #79
Tcoat

Quote:
OMG ...... Now, I'm screwed ....... as you can see from my screen shot ....... they are watching me .......

humfrz
Actually mine is an add for an Elantra right at this moment.
humfrz (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:27 AM   #80
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:

humfrz
Quote:
Actually mine is an add for an Elantra right at this moment.
Ad Block for the win, guys. Ad Block for the win...
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
humfrz (09-19-2015), Tcoat (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:28 AM   #81
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
Ad Block for the win, guys. Ad Block for the win...
But how am I going to get my weekly Russian Brides Here notice?
soulreapersteve (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 12:32 AM   #82
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
But how am I going to get my weekly Russian Brides Here notice?
I'm sure one of those russian bride sites have an email subscription option...
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:00 AM   #83
xuimod

Drives: 2007 MX-5 Miata, 2015 VW Golf GTI
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I was pulled over for stopping at a stop sign but with my front tire went over the white line. After the cop saw I was not a thug and just a normal guy going to work, he gave me a warning.

BS traffic stop anyways. Good thing I wasn't late for work that morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas3wba0 View Post
Not much, really. That's why I don't bother with one.

The only time a radar detector might help is if you're in a group of cars (not at the front) and your detector detects radar waves as the cop is clocking a car in front of you. Then, hypothetically, you have a sliver of time to check your speed before he clocks you too.
Radar detectors help much more than that. My radar detector usually detects radar a good 1/2 to 3/4 mile away. That gives you plenty of time to slow down.

It also detects laser really well. So if a car in front of you is being zapped by laser, my radar detector picks it up good. But if you are the one being zapped then you are SOL and its too late.

Having a good radar detector is like having a 6th sense. Anytime it goes off (radar or laser), just slow down a bit and look and listen to try and pinpoint where the cop is.

It has saved me from many tickets. Haven't got caught speeding once using it.
xuimod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:37 AM   #84
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
January last year a jerk of a State Trooper lied saying that I was doing 80 in a 55 (visually not with radar). I was going 55mph because I was playing with the MPG calculator (not the avg one) in an attempt to hyper mile. I'm not calling him a jerk for doing his job, I'm calling him a jerk because he lied and was snotty to me and my wife when I was nothing but completely polite. I'm no kid with a hot rod like Humfrz so a little professionalism/courtesy would've been appreciated from officer Numbnutz.

I had another instance in my '06 Civic Si when it was brand new, a black RSX-S flew right past us like a bat out of hell and the policeman mistakenly pulled us over. After a minute he realized he had the wrong car. We had a laugh about it but he was a really good guy (unlike the state trooper) he complimented the car and we were on our way. I think it was an honest mistake in the sense they're both coupes, small, black and shaped like door stops.

Last instance, I hit a pot hole (poor Si) and a policeman pulled us over just to see if we were alright as the car took it kind of hard -not sure if it was an excuse to run the plates or something but not likely as he came out of the car right away (another nice human being unlike the state trooper).

Lesson learned:

Municipalities are strapped for cash so don't think a little over the speed limit is ok (tickets are a easy revenue generator) and driving a sporty Japanese coupe gets good & bad police attention -you might as well paint a target on your car.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote