follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > AFRICA

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
KapteinBos

Drives: Toyota 86, Pearl White, Manual
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ja well its not like i had a choice so ill have best of both worlds... but can say one thing shes is loosening up quickly... by the way mcarthy midrand doesnt want to do oil change on 1600km.. will have to find another dealer...
KapteinBos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Drives: Toyota 86 High 6MT
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapteinBos View Post
mcarthy midrand doesnt want to do oil change on 1600km.. will have to find another dealer...
Nobody would under service plan since there is no service scheduled at 1600km. Are they not even willing to do it if you pay for the oil change?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #17
Razzle

Drives: Toyota 86 (High) - White
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
They won't do it as it's not scheduled and they are paying for it.
1600km is very little for the first oil change.
Why are you wanting an oil change?

You other option is to buy the oil and filter from them(& maybe sump nut if required) and get another workshop to do it. It's just an oil change. 10 minute jobbie.
Razzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #18
KapteinBos

i said id pay... i dont think they like being told what to do... i want to get this 0w20 out... and seeing as we are running in the engines we might as well do an oil change like the old days...
Old 01-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
Thavash

Drives: Red Hachiroku
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Some interesting feedback.
@Razzle - yeah the High is a bargain for 30k more - if you can get one. There were some "interesting" things happening with the waiting lists ( I'm sure some people jumped the queue ).

Running in - always did it to my new cars and never had a problem. Would rather be safe than sorry. Anyway driving to Durban in 2 weeks so that problem will soon be solved.

Oil changes - I like to "halve" my oil changes ie. if the service interval is 15000kms then I like to do my own at 7500 kms. The problem is , while its easy enough to do , if they find out then you could lose your service plan or warranty. You'll see them "marking" the sump nut to see if its been tampered with. The other option is to pay for an extra oil change, they won't do an extra one for free.
@KapteinBos - interesting you should mention McCarthy Midrand ( I assume its the New Road dealer ? ). I had a Corolla a few years back and also wanted an oil change at 7500 - had to argue but in the end they did it, and I paid for it. I'm planning on servicing there as I live not far away , so I hope that they're still as good as they used to be.
Thavash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #20
KapteinBos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thavash View Post
Some interesting feedback.
@Razzle - yeah the High is a bargain for 30k more - if you can get one. There were some "interesting" things happening with the waiting lists ( I'm sure some people jumped the queue ).

Running in - always did it to my new cars and never had a problem. Would rather be safe than sorry. Anyway driving to Durban in 2 weeks so that problem will soon be solved.

Oil changes - I like to "halve" my oil changes ie. if the service interval is 15000kms then I like to do my own at 7500 kms. The problem is , while its easy enough to do , if they find out then you could lose your service plan or warranty. You'll see them "marking" the sump nut to see if its been tampered with. The other option is to pay for an extra oil change, they won't do an extra one for free.
@KapteinBos - interesting you should mention McCarthy Midrand ( I assume its the New Road dealer ? ). I had a Corolla a few years back and also wanted an oil change at 7500 - had to argue but in the end they did it, and I paid for it. I'm planning on servicing there as I live not far away , so I hope that they're still as good as they used to be.
New Road Dealer yes. Still waiting for feedback. Sent the Service Manager a couple of mails at the request of the sales person. Specified which oil (as per this forum). Got no reply. I think they have not serviced an 86 and dont have the correct oil... or they are investigating the oil... Dont know going there Thursday will chat to the guy...
Old 01-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #21
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Quote:
Originally Posted by KapteinBos View Post
New Road Dealer yes. Still waiting for feedback. Sent the Service Manager a couple of mails at the request of the sales person. Specified which oil (as per this forum). Got no reply. I think they have not serviced an 86 and dont have the correct oil... or they are investigating the oil... Dont know going there Thursday will chat to the guy...
And three dealers still can't tell me what coolant to use as Toyota still say use the pink coolant as with all others. Mine is hovering around the low mark...
Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #22
lucius

Drives: Toyota 86 Pearl White
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
nice review...also struggling to get the fuel consumtion below 10.3. ahh, yes, I drive like a di(k I know...lol
lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #23
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_RSA View Post
And three dealers still can't tell me what coolant to use as Toyota still say use the pink coolant as with all others. Mine is hovering around the low mark...
Add distilled water?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM   #24
Vic_RSA
The voice of reason...

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86 6MT Standard
Can do i guess but prefer the coolant route. Failing which Toyota should drain the system and replace the coolant for me - I'll pay for the coolant - the pink coolant is excellent. I popped in at Subaru Bruma (they had a BRZ) and they reckon it is the same as all of their cars use. But their workshop was closed already so I'll pop in during working hours and find out. Ironically that's what the Toyota dealer recommended I do when I first took delivery...
Vic_RSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #25
KapteinBos

scary how ill prepared toyota is for this car/engine...
Old 01-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
sav
Official anti-BS squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_RSA View Post
Can do i guess but prefer the coolant route. Failing which Toyota should drain the system and replace the coolant for me - I'll pay for the coolant - the pink coolant is excellent. I popped in at Subaru Bruma (they had a BRZ) and they reckon it is the same as all of their cars use. But their workshop was closed already so I'll pop in during working hours and find out. Ironically that's what the Toyota dealer recommended I do when I first took delivery...
Sure but there is probably no more than 300ml between the low and full mark? hardly worth draining the whole system.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #27
Thavash

Drives: Red Hachiroku
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
First Long drive

Did a trip to Durban this weekend. Took the car past 2200 kms , so I enjoyed opening it up on the way. The drive was great , the car is reasonably comfortable travelling long distances. Just some things I noticed

1) I'm not sure I like the sound pipe anymore. When cruising , on my car there is a loud drone at about 4200 rpm. Its worse when you slow down slightly then accelerate without changing down ( by using more throttle ) - really annoying. As I do this trip quite often , I'm even thinking of removing that sound pipe - if it can be done.

2) After this trip my coolant level has also dropped. Strange , most cars I've owned don't do this when new. If you guys have figured out what to use here please share.
Thavash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #28
JouMaSeHoes

Drives: Toyota 86 RED!
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
There are couple of threads on soundpipe deleting, along with clear how to's with pics.
JouMaSeHoes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
review