follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #1
Dark passenger

Drives: 2015 scion frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question 2015 frs spyder headlights adjustment help

Hi, I bought a 2015 scion frs, used. With spyder headlights already installed from previous owner and I'm having issues with adjusting the beam of the light. I found spyders reccommdation to adjusting them and its just not working. Its the round sprocket adjusters and no matter how many times I turn the thing it will not move the beam at all. On either side. The beams are wildly crossed and look low on right and high on left. I'm wondering if its a fitment issue because syder says you cant put these lights on a 2015. Anyone know whats going on
Dark passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
First, it appears that you are a recently new member, so "Welcome."
Second, since Spyder is not the OEM light supplier the number of members that have had experience with the part will be limited, so replies/assistance might also be limited; after-market part support is highly dependent on relative popularity.

So, with that out of the way, let us see what we can do about your light troubles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark passenger View Post
I'm wondering if its a fitment issue because syder says you cant put these lights on a 2015. Anyone know whats going on
TLDR; This first part will be a long winded way of saying that I suspect the information you found was not relevant to the headlights on your car and is not the problem, so don't worry about it.

I cut your post up to start with the "easy" part first.
Headlight housing dimensions and mounting are interchangeable between 2013-2020 FR-S/86/BRZ variants. So, the adjustment issue is not a result of the model year (or at least shouldn't be).

As to why Spyder would say the lights can not be installed on a 2015, .

Looking at Spyder's current website (screenshots below), the recommended light for the FR-S is on the left and for the BRZ on the right. The notable difference between the descriptions of the two models is "Halogen Model Only" versus " Xenon Model Only."

Despite the physical headlight being interchangeable across models, the headlight wiring for oem halogen cars and oem hid cars is different.

So, I'm guessing (repeat, guessing) the difference between the two headlight models is the wiring connector on the back of the headlight and on which car each light is plug-and-play.

Based on that guess, I'm further guessing that whatever information you found that said the lights could not be installed on your 2015 was information for the other headlight version.

To further complicate matters, Spyder's website can be seen to state that adding HID or LED bulbs will void the warranty, but the second picture is a projector unit I removed from a Spyder headlight with a Xenon HID bulb installed. I did not install the HID in the headlight and it is completely possible the previous owner did so while voiding the warranty, but I'm including this because the body of the headlight had a molded in mounting location for the ballast unit and the ballast was directly wired into Spyder's headlight connector (not spliced), implying the possibility that at some point Spyder produced other variants (not currently listed on the website) that came in other bulb configurations that might have also been listed as not installable on a non-HID FR-S; (I'm speculating here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark passenger View Post
Hi, I bought a 2015 scion frs, used. With spyder headlights already installed from previous owner and I'm having issues with adjusting the beam of the light. I found spyders reccommdation to adjusting them and its just not working. Its the round sprocket adjusters and no matter how many times I turn the thing it will not move the beam at all. On either side. The beams are wildly crossed and look low on right and high on left.
Now for the actual purpose of the second picture.

The non-circled stud is an internally mounted pivot point that the end user has no access to without disassembling the headlight. Probably not your problem, so ignore it.

The "Blue" and "Red" circled areas are the user adjustment points. The "Red" location was originally equipped with a threaded rod similar to the "Blue" location, but was bent when the headlight was destroyed (in a collision) so I tossed it when I salvaged components.

The "Blue" circled area is the up-down adjuster located toward the center of the headlight. The "Red" circled area is the left-right adjuster located toward the outer edge of the headlight tucked up by the fender.

Blue - clockwise lowers beam, anti-clockwise raises
Red - clockwise moves beam away from center of car, anti-clockwise moves beam toward center of car

These two points are the probable source of your problem.

Possibility 1: One or both adjusters were OVER-tightened, bottomed out the range of motion, and the threaded white plastic insert was stripped preventing any future adjustment.
Possibility 2: One or both adjusters were UNDER-tightened until the plastic insert popped off the end of the threaded rod disconnecting the projector from the adjuster and also preventing future adjustment.
Possibility 3: One or both of the mounting points have broken free from the body of the projector mount.

Unfortunately, if any these scenarios are accurate, fixing it without disassembling the headlight could be a bit of a challenge.

My long shot suggestion:
1. disconnect the battery just in case
2. remove the big rubber cap on the back of the headlight
3. insert a "long" screwdriver or extension in the back of the headlight to apply LIGHT pressure to the black plastic projector mount as near to each adjuster as possible
4. if projector mount moves, it implies the adjuster is off the end of the rod (move on to step 5). if the mount does not move, it suggests the white plastic insert might be stripped (skip to 6)
5. use a hook to try to get over the projector mount and pull mount back while spinning the adjuster clockwise an an attempt to reconnect the projector mount
6. use whatever was used in step 3 to again apply light pressure to the projector mount while now spinning the adjuster anti-clockwise to attempt to reposition the stripped insert on the rod
7. either step 5/6 worked or it didn't and you have successfully adjusted the headlight or it is still bad
8. put the cap back on and reconnect battery
9. if it worked all good, if not buy new lights (or attempt to bake, disassemble, repair, and reseal)
Attached Images

pope is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 frs, adjustment, headlights, spyder fr-s