follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #1
lordwalker

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
TEIN Flex Z vs. HKS Hipermax IV GT

So I'm looking for a daily driving coilover with very good ride quality that can give me a 1.5"-2" drop-- might do canyon runs from time to time but doubt I'll ever be on the track. I mostly care about having less wheel gap while keeping the ride as good as stock or better. I have the PP Sachs and in my opinion the handling isn't that amazing and the ride is kind of bouncy/crashy.

I see people talking about the TEIN Flex-Zs (~$800) all the time, but one shop I went to said that TEIN products are junk. They were recommending KWs and Ohlins but I'm not about to drop $2300 plus when I'm not going to be tracking the car.

The other option I was looking at is the HKS Hipermax IV GT (~$1500). Evasive recommended them and I've heard a few people say that they're very comfortable on the street.

Anyone have opinions on either of these coils? I don't mind spending the extra cash if the HKSs are noticeably better quality.

I'm also on 18x9.5 +38 Rays wheels right now if that helps.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:56 PM   #2
Daemonomics

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ Limited PP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The CSG Tein Flex As are in the same price bracket as the HKS, at $1440. They would help with narrowing that wheel gap you're concerned about, and will definitely improve your canyon experience if you set them up to spec, per the user manual. They're proven to ride better than the stock dampers, too, in both street and track use.

You can read more about them here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126107

Last edited by Daemonomics; 05-01-2019 at 09:16 PM.
Daemonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #3
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Check out the RCE Superstreets too, very happy with mine. I'm dropped only 1" though, the ride is good on the softer settings, better than stock in most conditions.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #4
jainish007

Drives: 2014 Monogram Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
CSG FLA

Definitely you want Tein Flex A specially CSG spec. They're so comfortable on road and amazing on track.
jainish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordwalker View Post
So I'm looking for a daily driving coilover with very good ride quality that can give me a 1.5"-2" drop-- might do canyon runs from time to time but doubt I'll ever be on the track. I mostly care about having less wheel gap while keeping the ride as good as stock or better. I have the PP Sachs and in my opinion the handling isn't that amazing and the ride is kind of bouncy/crashy.

I see people talking about the TEIN Flex-Zs (~$800) all the time, but one shop I went to said that TEIN products are junk. They were recommending KWs and Ohlins but I'm not about to drop $2300 plus when I'm not going to be tracking the car.

The other option I was looking at is the HKS Hipermax IV GT (~$1500). Evasive recommended them and I've heard a few people say that they're very comfortable on the street.

Anyone have opinions on either of these coils? I don't mind spending the extra cash if the HKSs are noticeably better quality.

I'm also on 18x9.5 +38 Rays wheels right now if that helps.
Good luck with that.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
churchx (05-03-2019), EdBoy (05-02-2019), Pat (05-01-2019), strat61caster (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #6
lordwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Good luck with that.
Lol thanks for trying to add to the discussion I guess? In my experience a car 1.5" lower can easily ride just as well or better than my stock BRZ does. I've ridden in, and owned many cars lower than the stock FT86 platform that had a much less bouncy/crashy ride... I rode in a built FRS just the other day lowered with $3000 Ohlins and it was more supple than stock as well, but could easily firm up for track use with a few minutes of adjustment.

Like I stated plainly in my post, I'm not looking to track the car so I don't need the added performance benefit so that's why I'm not dropping the extra $$$ on Ohlins or KW V3s. I'm just not that familiar with the more budget/one-dimensional options.

Thanks everyone else for your input-- I'll definitely take the CSG spec Flex-A and maybe the RCE coils into consideration.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:04 AM   #7
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Why do you compare with other cars having different suspension? There are many "normal" cars of past having twice the shock travel and ground clearance. Lowering them by even 3-4" is relatively nothing. Twins have rather low clearance & bumpless compression travel stock. Lowering twins more then 1" is a lot, it negatively affects suspension geometry and leaves very little bumpstop free compression travel, that needs in turn ramped up spring rates. There is no free candy, magic overruling physics (of course except placebo & post-purchase rationalization bias) and you should compare apples to apples.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-03-2019), x808drifter (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Lol thanks for trying to add to the discussion I guess? In my experience a car 1.5" lower can easily ride just as well or better than my stock BRZ does. I've ridden in, and owned many cars lower than the stock FT86 platform that had a much less bouncy/crashy ride... I rode in a built FRS just the other day lowered with $3000 Ohlins and it was more supple than stock as well, but could easily firm up for track use with a few minutes of adjustment.

Like I stated plainly in my post, I'm not looking to track the car so I don't need the added performance benefit so that's why I'm not dropping the extra $$$ on Ohlins or KW V3s. I'm just not that familiar with the more budget/one-dimensional options.

Thanks everyone else for your input-- I'll definitely take the CSG spec Flex-A and maybe the RCE coils into consideration.
Then why are you asking if you have all this experience?

I have flex Z's. I am -2in front, -1 5/8 rear. Rides like crap. Raising car up this weekend.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've had a customer with the 2017 PP BRZ switch over to the Flex Z's, his impressions were that the ride is more comfortable than stock, the car handles much better, and that the steering is sharper. For the price, you're getting pillowball upper mounts up front, front camber plates, dampening adjustment, and height adjustment. It's pretty hard to beat the value. In my opinion, it's the perfect option for those on a budget. We've sold PLENTY of Flex Z kits for the 86 platform and our customers LOVE them. TEIN has spent a lot of time and money doing R&D for the 86 platform. They have 7 coilover kits for the 86!!!

Our shop FRS has had the Ohlins Road & Track installed as well as the HKS Hipermax GT. In terms of ride comfort, the difference between Ohlins & the HKS Hipermax GT is almost unnoticeable!

The HKS Hipermax GT are a tier above the Flex Z, and I personally would go with the HKS over the Flex Z just because of how comfortable they are! You can't go wrong with either of those two coilover kits! Shoot us a PM and we can get you set up with a great deal on either kits.

-Sam
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
dodouble (05-07-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
lordwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Why do you compare with other cars having different suspension? There are many "normal" cars of past having twice the shock travel and ground clearance. Lowering them by even 3-4" is relatively nothing. Twins have rather low clearance & bumpless compression travel stock. Lowering twins more then 1" is a lot, it negatively affects suspension geometry and leaves very little bumpstop free compression travel, that needs in turn ramped up spring rates. There is no free candy, magic overruling physics (of course except placebo & post-purchase rationalization bias) and you should compare apples to apples.
I'm just saying that it is entirely possible to have a low, even "slammed" car and not bounce all over the place. Yeah, you might not be able to have a good ride and then post record lap times while that low... And it seems like you conveniently ignored that I literally rode in an FRS with Ohlins that rode beautifully 1"+ lower than stock height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Then why are you asking if you have all this experience?

I have flex Z's. I am -2in front, -1 5/8 rear. Rides like crap. Raising car up this weekend.
Sounds like you either had yours set up poorly or you're just making things up for the sake of internet brownie points-- either way it's too bad really. Hopefully you can scrape enough $$$ together to replace your "crap" coils, because raising it up isn't going to fix the problem on its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendraceshop View Post
I've had a customer with the 2017 PP BRZ switch over to the Flex Z's, his impressions were that the ride is more comfortable than stock, the car handles much better, and that the steering is sharper. For the price, you're getting pillowball upper mounts up front, front camber plates, dampening adjustment, and height adjustment. It's pretty hard to beat the value. In my opinion, it's the perfect option for those on a budget. We've sold PLENTY of Flex Z kits for the 86 platform and our customers LOVE them. TEIN has spent a lot of time and money doing R&D for the 86 platform. They have 7 coilover kits for the 86!!!

Our shop FRS has had the Ohlins Road & Track installed as well as the HKS Hipermax GT. In terms of ride comfort, the difference between Ohlins & the HKS Hipermax GT is almost unnoticeable!

The HKS Hipermax GT are a tier above the Flex Z, and I personally would go with the HKS over the Flex Z just because of how comfortable they are! You can't go wrong with either of those two coilover kits! Shoot us a PM and we can get you set up with a great deal on either kits.

-Sam
Thanks for the useful info, Sam-- I appreciate it. I was likely leaning toward the HKS coils anyways. I'll shoot you a PM when I have it all figured out. Maybe you guys can help @NoHaveMSG with his coilover problem too, sounds like he needs it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
eastendraceshop (05-03-2019), NoHaveMSG (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I'm just saying that it is entirely possible to have a low, even "slammed" car and not bounce all over the place. Yeah, you might not be able to have a good ride and then post record lap times while that low... And it seems like you conveniently ignored that I literally rode in an FRS with Ohlins that rode beautifully 1"+ lower than stock height.

Sounds like you either had yours set up poorly or you're just making things up for the sake of internet brownie points-- either way it's too bad really. Hopefully you can scrape enough $$$ together to replace your "crap" coils, because raising it up isn't going to fix the problem on its own.

Thanks for the useful info, Sam-- I appreciate it. I was likely leaning toward the HKS coils anyways. I'll shoot you a PM when I have it all figured out. Maybe you guys can help @NoHaveMSG with his coilover problem too, sounds like he needs it.
LOL Thanks for the advise. I ran them this low to try them out that way because......why not? Was waiting on my alignment tools to come in before raising them again. Ran them before at -1 front and rear they were much better. I was specifically answering your post because you were asking about running the FLZ that low I had to crank up the preload on them beyond recommended because it would tuck the front wheels up until they hit the fender liner under hard cornering. The increase in preload obviously wreaked the ride. I could have lived with them rubbing the liner on the occasional hard bump, but every hard corner was a no bueno. Take that for what it's worth. It could just be for internet brownie points
Old 05-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #12
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I have the HKS Hipermax GT IV on my car for the last 3 years. They are very comfortable on the street and I like them a lot.

HKS USA has always been helpful and responsive to any questions I've had but as of the last time I spoke to them (maybe 2 years ago now) they can't rebuild the coilovers themselves anymore due to changes in the organization. Mine haven't needed a rebuild yet but I asked and they directed me to take them to a local independent suspension shop or I could send them to HKS Japan for rebuild when the time comes.

Just some food for thought. If I didn't already have my HKS coils and was happy with them, I'd consider going with Fortune Auto 500s at this point instead for a comparable product, just because I know I won't have any issues with support when it comes time.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:39 PM   #13
lordwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
LOL Thanks for the advise. I ran them this low to try them out that way because......why not? Was waiting on my alignment tools to come in before raising them again. Ran them before at -1 front and rear they were much better. I was specifically answering your post because you were asking about running the FLZ that low I had to crank up the preload on them beyond recommended because it would tuck the front wheels up until they hit the fender liner under hard cornering. The increase in preload obviously wreaked the ride. I could have lived with them rubbing the liner on the occasional hard bump, but every hard corner was a no bueno. Take that for what it's worth. It could just be for internet brownie points
Yeah I've heard the Flex-Zs can be pretty bad unless you have them set up professionally or carefully follow their guidelines. I think most people run their daily setup 5-6 clicks from full hard dampening, but I haven't looked into them enough to know the proper preload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
I have the HKS Hipermax GT IV on my car for the last 3 years. They are very comfortable on the street and I like them a lot.

HKS USA has always been helpful and responsive to any questions I've had but as of the last time I spoke to them (maybe 2 years ago now) they can't rebuild the coilovers themselves anymore due to changes in the organization. Mine haven't needed a rebuild yet but I asked and they directed me to take them to a local independent suspension shop or I could send them to HKS Japan for rebuild when the time comes.

Just some food for thought. If I didn't already have my HKS coils and was happy with them, I'd consider going with Fortune Auto 500s at this point instead for a comparable product, just because I know I won't have any issues with support when it comes time.
Thanks for the feedback, I looked into the Fortune Autos and they seem good too but my build is actually comprised of all JDM parts (where available). It's superficial I know I guess since I'm part Japanese I gotta do it... But yeah so far I've only heard good things about the HKS coils so I'm probably going to run with them since TEIN seems to either have people loving or hating them.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (05-03-2019)
Old 05-05-2019, 12:45 AM   #14
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Yeah I've heard the Flex-Zs can be pretty bad unless you have them set up professionally or carefully follow their guidelines. I think most people run their daily setup 5-6 clicks from full hard dampening, but I haven't looked into them enough to know the proper preload.
I think the lack of a hydraulic bottom out bumper like the FLA has, combined with low ride height contributes to the poor ride. I think going lower then 1.5 with these does not give you enough bump travel before it hits the bumper so these are better suited on setups that are not too low. They are really a a stop gap solution for someone like me, or a decent street option as long as you don't run too low.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-05-2019)

Tags
coilovers, hks hipermax coilovers, tein flex-z