follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-06-2021, 12:29 AM   #2913
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
I don’t understand why Max braked like that, but Lewis had plenty chance to pass.
Because with a broken front wing Lewis should've had to pit and should have given Max an easy cruise to a championship.

69 bar on the brake pedal, that's 1,000 psi of brake pressure, 2.4g of decel, F1 cars don't have brake boosters, Max wasn't 'trying to let him by' it was a blatant brake check in a narrow portion of the track with poor visuals. Penalty was appropriate.

If I was Lewis I would've checked up too, I wouldn't trust Max to walk in a straight line at this point, let alone let a competitor past cleanly, which as proven by the brake check not a second later. Lewis didn't know he was being given the position back and did his best to ensure he finished the race with an intact car.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (12-06-2021), NoHaveMSG (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #2914
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stating to think they need more clear rules on let bys.
Note: I have not looked up the rules so I have no idea if these are already how it is.

No DRS for either car.

No half ass let bys. (letting the guy get his wing just ahead and then taking the position back.)

You need to let the car get a car length or more ahead before getting back in the throttle.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 07:23 AM   #2915
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
On another note, I do love seeing this thread get more attention. Shows how, finally, F1, has gotten some spice back.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:46 AM   #2916
reni
Nobody beats the B[I|R]Z

Drives: shopping cart i stole from walmart
Thanked 1,145 Times in 456 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Max left 2/3 of the track open and went down 5 gears gradually before Ham finally hit him. There were no flags. Ham had like a solid 10 seconds of opportunity to pass but didn't...

The fact was that Merc f'ked up the communication and didn't yet tell Ham that Max was ordered to let him past. Though still doesn't explain why Ham didn't pass for an eternity by F1 standards while Max gradually slowed...
reni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reni For This Useful Post:
Spuds (12-06-2021), Stephen W. (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 08:59 AM   #2917
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Maybe Masi should've used "Reply All" to talk about the track position, rather than having conversations off to the side with each manufacturer ("Hey Christian, I'd like to offer you, for a limited time, and only because I consider you my friend, a spot behind Lewis").

If they'd just done the transparent thing and noted what would happen, would've avoided the collision as everyone would've been on the same page.

Side note: read a few places where the likely reason Max left the space for Lewis to move up where he did (and why Lewis was hesitant to take it) likely pertained to the DRS zone.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #2918
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,432 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Because with a broken front wing Lewis should've had to pit and should have given Max an easy cruise to a championship.

69 bar on the brake pedal, that's 1,000 psi of brake pressure, 2.4g of decel, F1 cars don't have brake boosters, Max wasn't 'trying to let him by' it was a blatant brake check in a narrow portion of the track with poor visuals. Penalty was appropriate.

If I was Lewis I would've checked up too, I wouldn't trust Max to walk in a straight line at this point, let alone let a competitor past cleanly, which as proven by the brake check not a second later. Lewis didn't know he was being given the position back and did his best to ensure he finished the race with an intact car.
Counterpoint, there is no way Max could have known Lewis was so close behind him because Lewis disappeared from his mirrors for a good 5 seconds and then started tailgating. If Lewis was really unsure of what was happening (yellow/red flags, something strange on track, etc), you would think he would have given Max a wide berth and been ready to stop. Hamilton is a great driver, but an even greater actor. But when you look at the data, it's pretty obvious he was playing games of his own.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
reni (12-06-2021), Stephen W. (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #2919
Martinius

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ ST
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
They should never race in Jedah ever again. Track is a death trap waiting to happen, and the two title protagonists need to clean up their act for the final race. I really hope there will be no controversy in Abu Dhabi.
Martinius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martinius For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (12-06-2021), NoHaveMSG (12-06-2021), Spuds (12-06-2021), TylerLieberman (12-06-2021), x808drifter (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #2920
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

Lol I guess Hamilton just can do no wrong then. Must be nice. Understeered wide into Max and sends him into a wall at 150mph… Lewis fans: “clearly just a racing incident”. Max gets aggressive and comes close to touching or slightly touches Lewis in any way, Lewis fans “wow. He’s so wreckless. He should be suspended”.

I’ll agree that this race, Max went a bit overboard in aggression at certain points, but the flip flopping throughout the year has been comical, but not surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
Counterpoint, there is no way Max could have known Lewis was so close behind him because Lewis disappeared from his mirrors for a good 5 seconds and then started tailgating. If Lewis was really unsure of what was happening (yellow/red flags, something strange on track, etc), you would think he would have given Max a wide berth and been ready to stop. Hamilton is a great driver, but an even greater actor. But when you look at the data, it's pretty obvious he was playing games of his own.
Exactly. It’s even stated in the FIA statement that it’s acknowledged that Lewis didn’t want to overtake there because he knew he’d have to fight off Max with DRS. 7 time world champion. ThE GoAt as everybody keeps saying… but then also saying “how could he know that Max was trying to give the place back?” Max was literally crawling down the straight. Substantially slower than what would be required with a VSC.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (12-06-2021), TommyW (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #2921
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinius View Post
They should never race in Jedah ever again. Track is a death trap waiting to happen, and the two title protagonists need to clean up their act for the final race. I really hope there will be no controversy in Abu Dhabi.
Agreed. I enjoyed the track during qualifying, but it sucked for racing. But F1 doesn’t care. Because that’s where the money is… even though that country is awful and something something something human rights or something.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #2922
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Agreed. I enjoyed the track during qualifying, but it sucked for racing. But F1 doesn’t care. Because that’s where the money is… even though that country is awful and something something something human rights or something.
All these incidents were easy to predict. Hoping they take the track off the schedule in the future. Not fair to the drivers or teams to be put in the position to having to deal with the safety factor however with all the excitement that the race produced they may overlook the negative points.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:00 PM   #2923
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Nah, nobody should ever sharply apply the brakes the middle of the track on the straight in green flag racing. That's a safety issue plain and simple regardless of who's driving, that's shit you get taught at six or seven years old.

Quote:
Max gets aggressive and comes close to touching or slightly touches Lewis in any way, Lewis fans “wow. He’s so wreckless. He should be suspended”.
You and I were watching different races yesterday then.

The only incident that comes to mind where I can recall Lewis being 'in the wrong' was Silverstone, and at least he kept it on the track, happy to be reminded what I've forgotten though.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 12:05 PM   #2924
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by reni View Post
Max left 2/3 of the track open and went down 5 gears gradually before Ham finally hit him. There were no flags. Ham had like a solid 10 seconds of opportunity to pass but didn't...

The fact was that Merc f'ked up the communication and didn't yet tell Ham that Max was ordered to let him past. Though still doesn't explain why Ham didn't pass for an eternity by F1 standards while Max gradually slowed...
Without the brake check I'd be totally on your side, but the data is there, 2.4g is on purpose.

I wouldn't have passed Max either in that section of track, I don't trust him to race clean. And guess what, he didn't.

One thing we can be in agreement on, I hope the FIA gets better at this, just make it robo stewarding so the fans can shut up about bias.
daiheadjai (12-06-2021), NoHaveMSG (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #2925
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,432 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Nah, nobody should ever sharply apply the brakes the middle of the track on the straight in green flag racing. That's a safety issue plain and simple regardless of who's driving, that's shit you get taught at six or seven years old.

You and I were watching different races yesterday then.

The only incident that comes to mind where I can recall Lewis being 'in the wrong' was Silverstone, and at least he kept it on the track, happy to be reminded what I've forgotten though.
So did Lewis know it was green flag racing or not? He was either confused, or playing the kind of games he should be penalized for. Looks like Max slowed on the outside of the track, then was trying to figure out where Lewis was for a second, then Lewis got right on his ass for no reason.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Stephen W. (12-06-2021)
Old 12-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #2926
strat61caster
-

Quote:
So did Lewis know it was green flag racing or not? He was either confused, or playing the kind of games he should be penalized for. Looks like Max slowed on the outside of the track, then was trying to figure out where Lewis was for a second, then Lewis got right on his ass for no reason.
Lewis was absolutely playing the game, he admitted it post race.

It's the brake check I have a problem with that Max and his fans seem to be ignoring.

Quote:
Then it became apparent that he was trying to let me pass, which was what he, I guess, had been asked to do, but before the DRS zone. And so then that maybe would mean he would just DRS back past me coming through the last corner, following me in and then DRS’ing me into turn one. So that was a tactic.

But I think really the worst part was just the steep, heavy braking that then happened at one point, that’s that’s why we collided. That was the dangerous part.
Lewis Hamilton
daiheadjai (12-06-2021), x808drifter (12-06-2021)

Tags
no mikey nooo, supersupermaxmax, waawaaalewis