follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #1
mrntd

Drives: 2017 Series.yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Transmission issue opinions requested

I read a number of posts about the benefits of changing the transmission gear oil. When I changed the oil I did have some metal on the drain plug as it said I would. I added three quarts of Lucas synthetic gear oil and thought I was all set.

The issue is now when the transmission is cold first tot second, second to first changes are very notchy. To the point of difficult shifting. Once it warms up it is much better. Additionally when I'm on the power and pulling hard it becomes difficult to shift. I have the Edelbrock SC so pulls are harder than stock would be.

Why would this have happened when changing the gear oil? Would changing back to the stock oil or another brand solve the problem?
mrntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
By mentioning hard pulls with your bad-ass Edelbrock SC, all I read is "I have absolutely no idea how a transmission works."
Old 05-14-2020, 10:10 PM   #3
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
I use Motul Gear 300 and no issues. It feels better in cold starts too than the stock oil.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My opinion is that transmission shifting issues are more from flex in the drivetrain mounts. Stiffen the transmission and differential mounts with whiteline parts.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 11:13 PM   #5
anticubus

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrntd View Post
The issue is now when the transmission is cold first tot second, second to first changes are very notchy. To the point of difficult shifting.
Cold oil is thicker and doesn't lubricate as well. Be patient but firm after you start up on a chilly day. Same reason you really shouldn't be doing WOT pulls or going much past 4000RPM before your oil is up to temp, the machine just isn't ready for hard driving.

Also, this is why all modern oils are multi-grade. The lower the number, the thinner on the viscosity scale it acts at a specific temperature. 0W-20 oil acts as a 0 weight at "low temperatures" (These are per-grade, but usually around -35C to -40C), which is going to be more viscous than its "operating temperature" grade (100C). Gear oil is usually 70W-90, so it's pretty thick, but a 70 weight at -35C is still going to be pretty thick compared to a standard 70 weight at 100C, it will just be slightly thinner than a 90 weight at -35C, just the same as the 90 weight side will be thicker than a standard 70 weight at 100C.
anticubus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to anticubus For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 01:29 AM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by radroach View Post
My opinion is that transmission shifting issues are more from flex in the drivetrain mounts. Stiffen the transmission and differential mounts with whiteline parts.
But the only way to shift is with the entire driveline completely unloaded. There is literally zero torque applied at that moment.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #7
mrntd

Quote:

For the hard pulls you are most likely correct. I didn't think about that. Thank you.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:37 AM   #8
mrntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
By mentioning hard pulls with your bad-ass Edelbrock SC, all I read is "I have absolutely no idea how a transmission works."

Your user name says it all.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
mrntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by anticubus View Post
Cold oil is thicker and doesn't lubricate as well. Be patient but firm after you start up on a chilly day. Same reason you really shouldn't be doing WOT pulls or going much past 4000RPM before your oil is up to temp, the machine just isn't ready for hard driving.

Also, this is why all modern oils are multi-grade. The lower the number, the thinner on the viscosity scale it acts at a specific temperature. 0W-20 oil acts as a 0 weight at "low temperatures" (These are per-grade, but usually around -35C to -40C), which is going to be more viscous than its "operating temperature" grade (100C). Gear oil is usually 70W-90, so it's pretty thick, but a 70 weight at -35C is still going to be pretty thick compared to a standard 70 weight at 100C, it will just be slightly thinner than a 90 weight at -35C, just the same as the 90 weight side will be thicker than a standard 70 weight at 100C.

I don't drive it hard until it is warmed up. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I understand the viscosity and temperature relationship. My "cold transmission" comment isn't necessarily referring to the outside temperature but more to the temperature of the transmission itself. This is a comparison to how it felt with the oil I just drained out of it. Both of the oils were/are of the same viscosity rating. Thanks
Old 05-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I have stiffer engine, trans, diff bushings, diff brace, and solid subframe mounts. The engine and trans mounts improved shifter feel, but did not change how the transmission behaves when cold, or if you need to adjust your clutch pedal engagement point.

If the OP got 3 quarts of oil in his trans, it wasn't level. It takes 2.3 quarts, link to manual in Ultra's sig
Spuds (05-15-2020), Ultramaroon (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #11
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm seconding NoHaveMSGs experience. Better oil (obviously filled to right amount, 3qt is overfill, which just like underfill may worsen shifting) & stiffer tranny bushings improved shift feel, but hard to get into 2nd when gearbox is cold is still there. I just accept that as given and don't see myself limited by that during first 5 minutes of driving for gearbox to warm up when one shouldn't push it anyway. Yes, it would be nicer if that behavior hadn't been there, but as otherwise gearbox works fine, and it's throws are rather short and feel precise relative to most cars i've driven before, so i'm ok with that.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (05-15-2020), Tcoat (05-15-2020), Ultramaroon (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #12
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
I'm seconding NoHaveMSGs experience. Better oil (obviously filled to right amount, 3qt is overfill, which just like underfill may worsen shifting) & stiffer tranny bushings improved shift feel, but hard to get into 2nd when gearbox is cold is still there. I just accept that as given and don't see myself limited by that during first 5 minutes of driving for gearbox to warm up when one shouldn't push it anyway. Yes, it would be nicer if that behavior hadn't been there, but as otherwise gearbox works fine, and it's throws are rather short and feel precise relative to most cars i've driven before, so i'm ok with that.
One more check mark in the "sane" column
Old 05-15-2020, 02:45 PM   #13
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrntd View Post
Your user name says it all.
My point is that if you truly want to learn about the transmission, humility is your greatest asset. Do you want to learn about your transmission, or are you here to have your preconceptions validated? If it's the latter, I'll kindly excuse myself.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:07 PM   #14
ActionMaxon
Professional Auto Fixer

Drives: 2016 Oceanic FR-S as Designed
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
My point is that if you truly want to learn about the transmission, humility is your greatest asset. Do you want to learn about your transmission, or are you here to have your preconceptions validated? If it's the latter, I'll kindly excuse myself.
If you believe someone needs knowledge, then why did you offer ridicule instead of information.

2016 Oceanic
ActionMaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionMaxon For This Useful Post:
mrntd (06-01-2020)