follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #659
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
Unfortunately, we live in a society that places a financial value on everything, including a human life. ,,,,

But when a person dies, it's forever. They can never be brought back. I would hope that would matter more, and the priority should be to save as many lives as possible. Sadly, the culture, society, and government in the U.S. doesn't think that way (though maybe there's a hope of a bit more compassion under the Biden administration).
I understand the philosophical direction of your statements about the loss of an individual and the contributions that individual makes. With that I agree.

What I can't quite wrap my head around is why you think the monetary value put on saving a human life is somehow unique to the United States. It is not.

Since the dawn of man, some lives have been valued more than others, or there has been a limit to the extremes that mankind would go to to save a specific life. Even in countries where they have socialized medicine there is a limit to what will be done, and priorities set based on accepted (although maybe not acceptable) standards. Nearly all of those are set by the cost, or the rationing, of care.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-16-2021), Ultramaroon (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #660
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The super athletic female friend from high school who I’ve mentioned in here before just got her 2nd dose. She’s a nurse at one of the best hospitals in California. She told me this dose has gone better than the first. But that she knows of people who’ve actually had to go to the hospital after their 2nd one.

I’m wondering if the reason she had an easy second dose is because she contracted COVID last year pretty badly for a couple weeks.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
The Following User Says Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #661
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
What I can't quite wrap my head around is why you think the monetary value put on saving a human life is somehow unique to the United States. It is not.
I don't think he meant that it is exclusive to the U.S., just that it is our society of reference.
Old 01-16-2021, 04:10 PM   #662
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post

I certainly don't think and didn't mean to imply that placing a monetary value on a life is unique to the U.S. Of course it isn't, and again of course, everything must ultimately be 'rationed' somehow. If every (or any) resource was absolutely unlimited, there would be no need for an economy. Everyone could always get anything and everything they needed or wanted, for free. As @Ultramaroon said, it's just my (and for many people here, our) frame of reference.

That said, it's taken to an extreme in this country. For example (as has been extensively discussed), almost every other country has a national healthcare system, because it's considered a basic right and not a privilege only for those who can afford it. Likewise, when EU countries set prices for drugs, it's based on the therapeutic benefit those drugs offer. The greater the benefit, the higher the price the company receives - which is paid for by the national healthcare plan. Drug prices are regulated, to provide companies a fair and reasonable profit as reward for taking risk and compensation for making the investments needed to produce them - but also in recognition of the people's right to healthcare. It's not left to the 'free market', with the result that the US has - by far - the very most expensive healthcare in the world, but far from the best.

It's most plainly evident in the responses of different peoples to the pandemic. While many countries are having a rough time of it, and of course there are people in many places complaining, whining, and fighting against necessary, life-saving restrictions, Americans have truly perfected the art of acting against our own best interests.

I can't offer specific hard 'data' at my fingertips, but I would bet lunacies such as refusing to wear masks, and engaging in risky, contagion-spreading activities (see: January 6, Washington DC) are higher in the US than in most other countries. The best evidence for that is the infection rate. The US, with 4% of the world's population, has 25% of the world's cases of COVID-19. We're number 1. That's not due to bad luck. It's because of selfishness, ignorance, impatience, intolerance, and stupidity, both by our government leaders, and by us, we the people.

I think that's in part because as a country, we've led a relatively spoiled, coddled life. Of course there are people here who have and continue to suffer greatly. Financial hardships, discrimination, prejudice, and other major problems. There's a significant element of intolerance in our culture (again, see: January 6, Washington DC; the race riots of the 1960's; or just most of our history). But by and large, relative to other countries, the recent history of this country (in the memory of those alive today) has been relatively easy.

See my previous post on my family's personal experiences living in Europe in the 1930s and 1940's. Europe went through two world wars in the last century. In WW2, around 50 million Europeans were killed. That suffering and those deaths are in the living memories of many people alive today with a European heritage (albeit the neo-Nazi movement is distressingly active in Europe as well, seemingly forgetting those horrors).

When people go through that kind of protracted, unimaginable nightmare, many seem to learn to care about, support, and help each other. Not all of them of course, but many. Because they have to. I think an element of that gets instilled in the culture, which carries on today in a greater willingness to do what's right for the good of everyone and not just selfishly for yourself. No one in my family would have survived WW2 (and I wouldn't be here) if it wasn't for the selfless sacrifices of other people, and likewise what my family members did for others in the same situation at that time.

The US hasn't experienced that on the same scale. Of course this country has had it's share of problems and disasters. Widespread, institutional bigotry and prejudice, that is sadly still with us. 9/11. But that element of self-sacrifice, of doing what's right for everyone, of genuinely caring for other people, doesn't seem as strong here as in many other countries. As evidenced by all the imbeciles refusing to wear masks or put up with any perceived inconveniences or intrusions on what they consider to be their 'constitutional rights'.

I regularly see stories of people on US plane flights refusing to wear masks, making a scene, forcing the flight to be cancelled and exposing many other people to infection. Somehow, you don't see as many stories like this in other countries.

https://viewfromthewing.com/passenge...acial-epithet/

https://www.kxan.com/news/video-woma...at-passengers/

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/air...-on-plane.html

We, individually and as a country, can do this. We can take this path, make these choices, take (or not take) certain actions. But there is a price to be paid. We are paying for it with a horrendous pandemic infection rate, illnesses, and deaths. The unfortunate reality is that as long as we keep acting this way, vaccines or not, this country will never be completely rid of the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
humfrz (01-17-2021), Ultramaroon (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 04:25 PM   #663
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
The US, with 4% of the world's population, has 25% of the world's cases of COVID-19. We're number 1. That's not due to bad luck. It's because of selfishness, ignorance, impatience, intolerance, and stupidity, both by our government leaders, and by us, we the people.
Similar to our energy usage? o_0
Old 01-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #664
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Similar to our energy usage? o_0
LOL, the numbers are strikingly similar, but I don't think there's any direct connection or causation between energy usage and pandemic cases (except that maybe both are related to selfishness; selfishness in using more than our share of the world's energy, and the karma of of also having a similar proportion of infections).
Old 01-17-2021, 12:40 PM   #665
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL, the numbers are strikingly similar, but I don't think there's any direct connection or causation between energy usage and pandemic cases (except that maybe both are related to selfishness; selfishness in using more than our share of the world's energy, and the karma of of also having a similar proportion of infections).
OT AF but...

It's interesting to see what countries use more energy per capita. Turns out developed nations with extreme heat and cold tend to be high on the list.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ty_consumption
Old 01-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #666
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
(except that maybe both are related to selfishness; selfishness in using more than our share of the world's energy, and the karma of of also having a similar proportion of infections).
Yeah. The comparison was a bit of a stretch but that's more what I was thinking. We're just soft and comfy compared to most of the rest of the world. Our cultural sense of entitlement is a natural outcome of not having experienced any widespread hardship in a few generations. Everyone needs a good bitch slap now and then.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #667
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
i always tell new drivers that their first car should always be a rotting mess with problems.

more and more people are looking at me weird for even saying that. and then i remind them that my first car lost heat halfway through the time i owned it, never had a/c, the windows leaked, it dripped oil, and trans fluid everywhere it went, sometimes got so low on trans fluid to the point that it wouldn't shift anymore.

very quickly learn to appreciate that the vehicle simply starts and moves every time after all that. i'm still not used to using the a/c in cars...
AnalogMan (01-17-2021), Spuds (01-17-2021), Ultramaroon (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:27 PM   #668
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i always tell new drivers that their first car should always be a rotting mess with problems.
Geeze man, why don't you just wish constipation on them too already.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 01-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #669
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Geeze man, why don't you just wish constipation on them too already.
teaches them to appreciate a good poopin'!
Ultramaroon (01-17-2021), wbradley (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #670
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
teaches them to appreciate a good poopin'!
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #671
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/wap.bus...1600867_1.html

Anyone see this article yet?
Old 01-17-2021, 04:54 PM   #672
soundman98

i think the US media has had enough going on that something happening in norway is of less importance right now.

china should come back when people aren't rioting in our capitol, and then we can talk.
AnalogMan (01-18-2021), Dadhawk (01-17-2021), humfrz (01-17-2021)
Closed Thread

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck