follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Unholypanda

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
DDX917WS Sound is Muffled/Echoes. Any advice?

I'm planning on getting the stereo tuned by a profession, but I just installed a DDX917WS in my 2017 BRZ on Sunday, and for the most part its working great. I have all stock speakers and no sub. I'm planning on getting the OEM Kicker sub. I know it isn't the best, but the convenience factor of being able to take it in and out as needed is too good for me to pass up.

Anyways, sometimes the sound seems a little muffled or like there is a weird echo. It seems to be in the mid-range where the odd sounds happen. I've circled where on the visualizer below where I notice it most.

I adjusted the 250 - 1k range on the Equalizer to be lower, and it seems to help but I still feel like its off.

Here is an album of all my radio settings: Imgur

Anyone with this radio in with a otherwise stock sound system have any advice on how to make it bearable until i can get it tuned professionally?
Unholypanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:24 PM   #2
JermMX5

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholypanda View Post
Anyone with this radio in with a otherwise stock sound system have any advice on how to make it bearable until i can get it tuned professionally?
Is your amp actually on? When I did my joying install on my 2017 I had to switch a wire into one of the plugs to get the amp to come on, before that everything just sounded muffled like you're saying
Old 04-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #3
Unholypanda

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium w/ PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JermMX5 View Post
Is your amp actually on? When I did my joying install on my 2017 I had to switch a wire into one of the plugs to get the amp to come on, before that everything just sounded muffled like you're saying
I'm pretty sure it is. I'm getting sound and bass out of the door speakers. Just checked and unplugging either of the connectors from the amp shuts off the door speakers. Although the door speakers do seem the most muffled, and vocals are not clear when I put my ear up to them. Maybe the amp isn't getting enough power?

Also as an aside. Would replacing the factory amp with something like this help with the audio and still work with the OEM Kicker sub?

Last edited by Unholypanda; 04-03-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Unholypanda is offline   Reply With Quote