follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #211
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
The most current XDF file is now available. Just re-download the off-the-shelf maps. It is included in the map folder once you unzip it

http://www.procedetuning.com/BRZ_FR-...s-4/index.html

Open Tuning FTW!
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #212
WKM Houston

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FA20Club.com View Post
Lets end this right here. You cant post your biased response and then not have enough balls to just call my name. Thats just closet jesturing.

I appreciate your effort allow shiv to beta test on your vehicle but you should have done it impartially. Especially since you sent me one log where you car was running extremely rich. your LTFT were disabled so I could dial in your maf scaling and you never submitted any following logs as a follow up. My tunes have never been advertised as a “Canned” tune and never will. I tune every vehicle specific using you datalogs so if you never submit a log it will never show full potential. Your base files primary purpose to to have you log and a RaceRom enable rom which allows for some of the extended logging parameters to be recorded such as IAM MAF voltage etc.

Your email g=here stated yourtime line and concerns 1 week before your track evet yet you never opted to send back your logs

OpenFlash and ecutek nay sayers have built everything up into the fact you cant tune your own vehicle. Well the issues is neither can 95% of the brz/frs owners. Ive always been in favor of directly tuning each car and getting rid of the whole canned tune idea. This is why my tunes are always tuned remotely for free. If you dont take advantage of that then youre honestly throwing your money away when you make a purchase from my company. It takes allot of time and effort to get everyone up and running but its the best way to guarantee results.
From there you tune is built on and edited using your tunes. I welcome the fact you and Shiv would consider me a fake tuner seeing the success ive had and the openness I offer my customers to take their cars to the dyno anytime and have me tune for no extra charge remotely. I would not give anyone that option knowingly without the confidence that my final product will perform as expected. Here is your original log showing your LTFT and to why they were disabled to start your tune.

I understand the fact that I have asked questions regarding this platform over the recent months and jumped on board makes me seem like the major obstacle to overcome but i have always said I favor open platform just not tuning on them. Lets do some math for a bit. The offering here is still a retail/profit item call it open if you may but the software was created years ago and freely distributed. OpenFlash seems to have robbed either ecutek or brzedit of def files in a couple months and now are selling a handheld that is openly sold for about 175-225 depending on volume purchased for 500.00. even brzedit doesn’t allow the reading of ecutek roms but Shiv has managed to dump a file from a competitors product. And one thing i noticed is why was the base file you had Jeff’s IAM set to 1.0 when the only file I sent him had it set to factory .7. So at this point I dont understand why you edited the file and what else you did to try to lend credibility to your dyno session. I would always be willing to compare tunes but to the extent that you are trying to push your product and hack code from other vendors im yet to be a fan. im sure some other ecutek customer in the area with either e85 or forced induction would be willing to let you pull a map to create your next tune. im sure that will save you boat loads of time.

Then the validity to the product is mixed in with thats like going on the dyno and shiv loading one file and not being allowed to revised or make changes as he did so I don’t consider that a true comparison. You file is as incomplete as it can get. And why would you think that you would have to pay a local ecutek tuner to revise your tune, when I have always offered this remote tuning service for free of charge. I have verified this information from our emails and you submitted one log which I replied with an updated file to disable your trims so I could dial in your maf scaling and afr targets and you ceased communication at that point. I can only assume that you have some reason for doing so. I don’t want you to think you were slighted in anyway or form with your purchase because we have and always will offer remote tuning. And you can verify this because all my tunes will rarely match up to another other than base settings each other value is edited throughout the tuning process just like on the dyno.
I've been Toni's client for the last 3 months. Currently I'm running a on E85 with a Vortech setup and an upgraded fuel pump and injectors. We've been doing these upgrades one step at a time along with data logging after each install. Toni has responded promptly to all my questions and logs that I have sent him and the car feels much stronger and smoother than when we started. He even went out of his way to make a video for us for the fuel pump install which eliminated lots of confusion! I feel that data logging has been a very helpful part of the upgrades and an excellent learning process for me. I am extremely pleased with his business ethics, friendliness and willingness to explain all the steps that were taken so far.
WKM Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WKM Houston For This Useful Post:
CK_Bladesmith (09-18-2013), lexusb3 (09-17-2013), Yobiwan (09-17-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #213
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
Maybe in other areas yes, but here it's 3 of you and you've ruined several threads with your crying. The open part as everone but you has realized is a reference to the fact that the tunes are open, and shareable. The tablet is just a tool. It's akin to you complaining that you can't look at the code for, and reprogram your digital torque wrench. Do you hear bartenders around the world crying that they call everything in a martini glass a martini rather than only chilled gin with a splash of vermouth?

Terminology changes over time and becomes a part of common vernacular or do you really think open source code was the origin of the word open, and all usage must reflect that. Get over it... seriously. It's been weeks and there are far more things to be concerned over.
Buuuuurned!

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #214
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Also I don't think @Hawaiian really understood my argument, but whatever. I'm done here. I should've just left it alone but the original using of the word struck a chord in me.
Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #215
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arghx7 View Post
I'm going to make a highly technical argument here that most people are not going to follow. It's an argument based on firsthand experience with Bosch, NGK/NTK, Denso (like the stock FT86 sensor), and actual emission benches.

You cannot fully trust any wideband to represent actual in-cylinder AFR when the engine is in a scavenging condition. It doesn't matter who made the wideband or where it was placed.

What that means is, AVCS cam phasing skews wideband readings to read lean, because extra "unused" air passes through the engine out the exhaust valve. If you are in a high overlap condition, where intake pressure exceeds exhaust, the wideband can read much leaner than what is in the cylinder. The only way to judge is to compare readings with an emissions bench, fuel flow meters, and air flow meters. They don't read nearly as quickly as a wideband sensor, but you have to do a sensor correlation to trust any readings.

There are a number of common methods of calculating air fuel ratio. One is to use a wideband O2 sensor with backpressure compensation. We don't know how the logged stock wideband reading is calculated, but if it's anything like what I've seen, there could easily be a backpressure compensation and a scavenging compensation applied to the reading. The other methods calculate based on the gases that come out of the exhaust. The most common are probably the Spindt method and the Fa gley-Nunez method. You can also infer scavenging and skewing of the wideband based on the CO% and O2% concentration.

Basically, on an engine with AVCS you can't make blanket statements about how lean somebody's tune is (in the actual cylinder) with only a wideband, either the stock one or dyno instrumentation. The scavenging skews the reading.

I am ging to make a highly technical statement: This engine is like a shit-eating dog, it sucks in its own exhaust to help pass emissions ,causes the combustion to be too detonation prone, leads to pulled timing and loss of power.

How do we get rid of this shit-eating dog emissions feature with the tune (assuming decent cat free header) ?

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #216
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKM Houston View Post
I've been Toni's client for the last 3 months. Currently I'm running a on E85 with a Vortech setup and an upgraded fuel pump and injectors. We've been doing these upgrades one step at a time along with data logging after each install. Toni has responded promptly to all my questions and logs that I have sent him and the car feels much stronger and smoother than when we started. He even went out of his way to make a video for us for the fuel pump install which eliminated lots of confusion! I feel that data logging has been a very helpful part of the upgrades and an excellent learning process for me. I am extremely pleased with his business ethics, friendliness and willingness to explain all the steps that were taken so far.
Sweet. Maybe we can stop reporting the customer's personal information. He already asked Toni to obscure it but I guess he didn't feel it was necessary.

I understand that Ecutek dealers will probably be changing their business model soon. It happens in every market when a user tunable device is released. I had to so the same thing when Openecu it the streets years back. It's a natural progression. But it's beneficial to the community as a whole because it gives those with tuning experience (not necessarily vendors) a chance to share their knowledge. Vendors would like nothing more than to keep customers in the dark about tuning while having them convinced that their tuning option is the best. This model only works when there are no other viable tuning options. Thankfully this is no longer the case and tunes can be shared freely amount people. And those tuners who actually know how to tune can still monetize their skills by doing custom tunes on individual cars as many of us have been doing since, quite literally, the turn of the century.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #217
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I am ging to make a highly technical statement: This engine is like a shit-eating dog, it sucks in its own exhaust to help pass emissions ,causes the combustion to be too detonation prone, leads to pulled timing and loss of power.

How do we get rid of this shit-eating dog emissions feature with the tune (assuming decent cat free header) ?
The vvt mapping in all our downloadable (and viewable) maps have minimized the EGR effect during cruise to some degree. And eliminated it complexly during heavy throttle. This is why we are able to add a good bit of Igniton advance in the maps with knock
Old 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #218
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
shiv you have a pm
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #219
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Just visited Shiv to get the tablet.. In no more than 25 minutes I was back on the road back to work after a flash and quick chat.. With the AC on in 85+ heat, the car was more snappy than ever and has a new raspier sound to it on full accelleration.. Double win!!
RC51ed (09-18-2013), Shiv@Openflash (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #220
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
Just visited Shiv to get the tablet.. In no more than 25 minutes I was back on the road back to work after a flash and quick chat.. With the AC on in 85+ heat, the car was more snappy than ever and has a new raspier sound to it on full accelleration.. Double win!!
Nice to meet you and look forward to seeing you again at one of the Bay Area Meets! Pics from you visit:
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
Norkoastal (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #221
Dephective

Drives: '13 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
The vvt mapping in all our downloadable (and viewable) maps have minimized the EGR effect during cruise to some degree. And eliminated it complexly during heavy throttle. This is why we are able to add a good bit of Igniton advance in the maps with knock
Why not just delete the EGR valve? Make a block off plate like virtually every other platform. Then problem solved. No more shit-eating dog.

'01 Accord-daily
'93 Rx7-fire breathing track monster 545hp 397tq 2300lb.
'06 Mazdaspeed6 one helluva love-hate relationship
Dephective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:24 AM   #222
Cross
It's the Mad Cow

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Garage
So I sent a message to the OP no answer, who can answer my last remaining questions and sell me a unit? I feel like Fry from Futurama "Take my money!!!"
Old 09-19-2013, 12:32 AM   #223
448hpsti
In Test:Oil Fed SC

Drives: Vortech Prototype Test Car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post
Why not just delete the EGR valve? Make a block off plate like virtually every other platform. Then problem solved. No more shit-eating dog.
No such valve to delete
448hpsti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 448hpsti For This Useful Post:
andrew20195 (09-24-2013), mad_sb (09-19-2013), SkullWorks (09-19-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 12:43 AM   #224
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephective View Post

In Modern Motors with variable valve timing EGR is a condition you create with the crank angle and valve timing,
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SkullWorks For This Useful Post:
448hpsti (09-22-2013), Shiv@Openflash (09-19-2013)

Tags
bye bye visconti u suck, fa20club stg1, open flash, openflash, tacky marketing is tacky, visconti roast