follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #1
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Installing Pioneer HU and Maestro RR

I have a Pioneer AVH-2330NEX, Maestro RR & Maestro T01 harness, USB adapter, antenna adapter and dash kit that will be arriving in a couple of days for my 2017 BRZ. I’ve read several threads where users have mentioned that they have the Maestro RR installed in their twin, but either they had a pro do the installation or they have a slightly different model twin (eg. a 2017 86 or a 2016 BRZ).
In preparation for installing the Pioneer head unit and Maestro RR in my 2017 BRZ, can anybody who has installed the Maestro RR in a 17 BRZ give a heads up on anything that might deviate from the Maestro instructions? I’m hoping it will be as simple as updating the Maestro to the latest firmware for the BRZ and connecting the wires as shown in the Maestro instructions, but I have a feeling it won’t be that simple based on other posts on this forum. I noticed that the Maestro instructions show wiring to a 24 pin harness for the reverse camera... does the 17 BRZ even have a 24pin harness (I thought it was just 28, 10 and 6 pin)?
Thanks in adance for any help.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #2
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I used the ASWC-1, and their instructions weren't quite right, but I think I understand what they got wrong. No idea how that would translate (or not) to what you got.

There is no 24pin connected to the factory head unit.

Nothing like diving in with plans to sort it out. I'd be interested in the results. Not sure I can help, but I'll watch and chime in if I think I can. You'll get it sorted in the end for sure.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I used the ASWC-1, and their instructions weren't quite right, but I think I understand what they got wrong. No idea how that would translate (or not) to what you got.

There is no 24pin connected to the factory head unit.

Nothing like diving in with plans to sort it out. I'd be interested in the results. Not sure I can help, but I'll watch and chime in if I think I can. You'll get it sorted in the end for sure.
What was it that they had wrong? Do you know if there is a full pinout floating around anywhere for the 17 BRZ radio harnesses?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
What was it that they had wrong? Do you know if there is a full pinout floating around anywhere for the 17 BRZ radio harnesses?
Um. Maybe reader comprehension. Or they changed the PDF I had in my browser history... I seem to have very carefully missed that a wire from both the 28pin harness and the aswc-1 had to be connected to ground in addition to the ground wire. Why they didn't say "connect these 3 wires to ground" in one place, rather than "black to ground", this wire to +12, that wire to pin 21, another to 22, and then carefully "black/green and pin 23 to ground". Rather than noting them with the other ground wire... So much frustration... and now all I can do is laugh at myself.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
NCtoBRZ

Well... I did a quick test installation tonight since the proper USB adapter will not arrive until tomorrow, I didn’t attempt to figure out the wiring for the reverse camera yet as I just wanted to make sure the basic wiring was working first. On the first try, the system turned on and there is audio through that speakers, so that’s a good start. So a few issues that I noticed:
-I flashed the Meastro RR with what was supposed to be the 17 brz firmware, but a couple of the buttons such as the voice button didn’t perform the expected function. I’m not sure if the flash didn’t take or what.
-The sound was lacking bass as it seemed little to no output was coming from the woofers in the doors.
-The handbrake wire is connected, but the head unit did not seem to detect the connection as it prompted me to apply the handbrake to set up Android Auto even after I released and reapplied the handbrake.

I may end up wishing I had gone for a simpler installation, lol.

ETA: I think the connection for the amp may not be in place on the harness according to what is shown here http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=22 I'll have to investigate that further.

Last edited by NCtoBRZ; 03-20-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
NCtoBRZ

So does anybody out there with the maestro RR installed want to post a few pics of their wiring harnesses? It only takes about 2 minutes to pull out the head unit in these cars, lol.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #7
NCtoBRZ

From what I've pieced together, the amp signal wire from the head unit needs to connect to pin 9 (which is empty on the Maestro T01 harness) on the 28 pin harness. The backup camera needs to connect to pins 11, 12, 13 and 20 (not all of these pins are populated either) on the 28 pin harness. Some buttons apparently need to be custom programmed for the steering wheel controls as well as the firmware that they provide for the 17 BRZ doesn't quite match the proper function for each button.
So in summary, despite iDatalink's website claiming that the Maestro RR and T01 harness are 100% plug-n-play compatible with the 2017 BRZ, this is not the case. Now I'll just have to decide if I want to hassle with modifying the harness which will mean I can't return it, or just go with a different harness setup... the gauges would be pretty cool but they would likely be something I'd rarely use since the dash gauges on the 17 BRZ already show me water and oil temps and voltage.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #8
UT_BRZ

Drives: 17 Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Even though they list the T-01 harness as compatible, is isn't fully plug and play. Your research is correct, you will have to add a pin to #9 to get the factory amp to work. This pin will go to the (usually blue) wire on the antenna plug for the remote turn-on (not the head unit harness).

I'm not sure if the maestro has all of the correct information for a 2017 BRZ yet. I have mine flashed as a 2016 WRX since the wiring diagrams and connections are the same. The rest of the RR wiring that I followed is on post #1152:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...731582&page=47

Camera pins are 11, 12 and 13. Make sure to wire pin #20 to ground. SWC are 21, 22 and 23. I followed that thread for correctly wiring those up.
UT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT_BRZ View Post
Even though they list the T-01 harness as compatible, is isn't fully plug and play. Your research is correct, you will have to add a pin to #9 to get the factory amp to work. This pin will go to the (usually blue) wire on the antenna plug for the remote turn-on (not the head unit harness).

I'm not sure if the maestro has all of the correct information for a 2017 BRZ yet. I have mine flashed as a 2016 WRX since the wiring diagrams and connections are the same. The rest of the RR wiring that I followed is on post #1152:

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/sho...731582&page=47

Camera pins are 11, 12 and 13. Make sure to wire pin #20 to ground. SWC are 21, 22 and 23. I followed that thread for correctly wiring those up.
Thanks for the reply. Were there unused pins on the Metra harness that you moved to fill in the missing pins? If I understand correctly, pin 9 would connect to the blue wire from the FM antenna and that will handle power for both the antenna and amp turn on? The blue/white "amp turn on" wire from the Pioneer HU harness will not be connected to anything? Since the steering wheel buttons are "working" (albeit with some unexpected functions) is it necessary to change anything around with the SWC (21,22,23) pins that you mentioned?
Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #10
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
you can actually use the blue/white to turn on the antenna. Or like many have done, connect the antenna and amp turn on the one blue wire. If your SWC are working, there is nothing else needed to do. As for the missing pins, I actually bought one metra harness(28 pin) but my headunit came with one just with SWC wires. So i de-pinned the metra harness and transfer the wires i need to the one that came with my stereo.

el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
UT_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
Thanks for the reply. Were there unused pins on the Metra harness that you moved to fill in the missing pins? If I understand correctly, pin 9 would connect to the blue wire from the FM antenna and that will handle power for both the antenna and amp turn on? The blue/white "amp turn on" wire from the Pioneer HU harness will not be connected to anything? Since the steering wheel buttons are "working" (albeit with some unexpected functions) is it necessary to change anything around with the SWC (21,22,23) pins that you mentioned?

Pin 14 on the metra harness isn't used in the BRZ and is the one that I re-pinned to number 9. On my harness, it was black and labeled ground. I would compare what you have to what is listed on http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=22 to try and find one that isn't used on the harness you have since I don't know what is and isn't used on the T01 harness.

EDIT 2: I do have the blue/white remote turn on from the Alpine harness connected to pin 9 on the 28 pin harness. (I initially said I did not and pulled the harness to verify.)

In reconfiguring things today, I do have to order a parking brake bypass for the Alpine ILX-207 as it won't let me access setup without the park brake on. It's getting a little annoying.

EDIT: If you steering wheel controls are working, I wouldn't mess with 21,22,23.

Last edited by UT_BRZ; 03-23-2018 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Info Correction
Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #12
UT_BRZ

**** I need to correct a few items above.

Pin 9 on the 28 pin metra harness goes to the remote connection on the harness of the head unit.

The blue remote wire on the 10 pin harness goes to the blue wire on the antenna harness.

I pulled the harness out and will attempt to snap a photo here in a little bit.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
NCtoBRZ

Thanks for the replies. I think some of the difference is that you guys are using a Metra harness and I’m using the 28 pin harness that came with the Maestro. I was able to find a pin to swap to pin 9 on the 28 pin harness and after connecting this to the remote/amp power-on wire from the Pioneer head unit the amp is now powering on and the audio sounds great! I flashed the Maestro RR again with the 2017 BRZ firmware (just in case I made a mistake on the first flash) and the buttons still do not work as expected... pretty much the only buttons that do work properly are the volume and track skip buttons, all of the other buttons either do nothing or do something other than what they should. I’ll still need to add some wires to the 28 pin harness to get the reverse wire signal from pin 2 and the 11, 12, 13 and 20 pins for the camera power. The problem with this that now occurs to me is that if the wires for the camera power come straight from the 28 pin adapter and bypass the maestro RR box (which would normally do the 12 to 6 volt conversion)... I’ll need to use a converter to get the proper voltage for the camera.

Last edited by NCtoBRZ; 03-25-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #14
NCtoBRZ

The blue/yellow wire on the T01 harness apparently provides +6volt power for the camera... but even with the associated wires connected to pins 11, 12, 13 and 20 the camera image does not show on the screen. I added pin 2 for the reverse signal and the head unit recognizes when I shift into reverse but it just shows a black screen. I provide idatalink with the blink codes for the SWC and they say they are looking into why they are not working correctly.

I really wish somebody with this setup could snap a couple of pics and/or provide some more info. I'm about ready to buy the autoharnesshouse.com harnesses and call it a day... the fancy Maestro gauges aren't worth the hassle.