follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Keep throwing P0463 codes on low gas

So last week I threw a P0463 code (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input) a little after my low gas light turned on. I didn't think much of it as I read on forums it doesn't seem like a big deal. I filled gas and cleared the code and everything was fine. Today, I threw the code again, ALSO a little after my low gas light turned on. Does anyone know what is happening? Is there a problem with the sensor, electrical system or ECU?

Also I am OFT tuned with an aftermarket battery but probably unrelated.

Possibly bad gas? Loose cap? It's strange since my fuel readings are fine.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads

Last edited by l0aded; 02-10-2015 at 03:51 PM.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Just cleared the code (still low on gas). It hasn't turned on yet. THe intermittent-ness of this is pretty annoying.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
Old 02-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
At risk of making this over complicated, the OFT could actually assist in this, though the tune itself is possibly unrelated. If are looking at or logging, please let me know what your RPM, Throttle %, FLKC, FBKC, IAM, STFT and LTFT are.

This will tell us if you are having knock, your fuel trims for short term and long term, What throttle percentage, and RPM you're at.

On the other had, usually if you were knocking bad enough, you'd be having other CEL, so it could be the sensor itself.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:58 PM   #4
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celadrielas View Post
At risk of making this over complicated, the OFT could actually assist in this, though the tune itself is possibly unrelated. If are looking at or logging, please let me know what your RPM, Throttle %, FLKC, FBKC, IAM, STFT and LTFT are.

This will tell us if you are having knock, your fuel trims for short term and long term, What throttle percentage, and RPM you're at.

On the other had, usually if you were knocking bad enough, you'd be having other CEL, so it could be the sensor itself.
Thanks I'll definitely do that when I get the chance. As far as I know it drives perfectly fine though.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Celadrielas

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Fr-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
Thanks I'll definitely do that when I get the chance. As far as I know it drives perfectly fine though.
Our engines are fantastic at adjusting to prevent knock. I went through a tune I had (Custom... not OTS) which had an IAM of .97. Basically this means 3% knock never knew until I was monitoring it through my OFT.

I don't know this is causing the issue you're having either. This would just help ensure your engine it's damaging itself. It could honestly be a bad sensor. I did research and found no other people reporting the issue though.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #6
SteveIsBored

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
So last week I threw a P0463 code (Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input) a little after my low gas light turned on. I didn't think much of it as I read on forums it doesn't seem like a big deal. I filled gas and cleared the code and everything was fine. Today, I threw the code again, ALSO a little after my low gas light turned on. Does anyone know what is happening? Is there a problem with the sensor, electrical system or ECU?

Also I am OFT tuned with an aftermarket battery but probably unrelated.

Possibly bad gas? Loose cap? It's strange since my fuel readings are fine.
U have a fuel sender circuit issue. This vehicle has a saddled tank, I think so u have two senders the computer uses both to estimate how much fuel u have. If one is bad u could still have a somewhat accurate reading. If u were getting fuel rail pressure codes then I would start to worry about drivability
SteveIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:45 PM   #7
dolph

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2004 WRX
Did you ever find the cause of this?

I'm having this exact same issue, although I have a stock tune and an almost entirely stock 2013 BRZ Limited auto (save for a K&N drop in filter). The car has never been to the dealer for any reason (no recalls, etc). I had the chirping issue for 3-20k miles or so. Currently at 33k miles.

My car has thrown this code twice. On both occasions, the sequence of events has been as follows:

1. Low fuel light comes on, as expected, during normal driving. Fuel gauge seems steady and accurate. I legitimately need gas.

2. I'll get to my original destination, thinking that I'll get gas afterwords. I'll park the car for over an hour.

3. Car seems to struggle a tiny bit to start, almost like the battery not fully charged.

4. Shortly or immediately after starting the car, the CEL will come on. I'm not sure when it comes on because I might just not be noticing it immediately, due to the other orange lights already on my dashboard (low fuel, etc). Car runs fine, otherwise.

5. I'll stop for fuel, turn the car off, fill the tank, check and clear the CEL. P0463.

6. Again, the car seems to struggle a tiny bit to start, almost like the battery not fully charged.

7. Many driving cycles follow without a Low Fuel light, without any noticeable trouble starting, without any unexpected fuel behavior from the fuel gauge, and without a CEL.

Perhaps coincidentally, this has happened on two consecutive tanks of gas from different gas station brands in different parts of town.

Last edited by dolph; 09-16-2015 at 03:00 PM.
dolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Faceless

Drives: 2013 Raven Fr-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolph View Post
Did you ever find the cause of this?

I'm having this exact same issue, although I have a stock tune and an almost entirely stock 2013 BRZ Limited auto (save for a K&N drop in filter). The car has never been to the dealer for any reason (no recalls, etc). I had the chirping issue for 3-20k miles or so. Currently at 33k miles.

My car has thrown this code twice. On both occasions, the sequence of events has been as follows:

1. Low fuel light comes on, as expected, during normal driving. Fuel gauge seems steady and accurate. I legitimately need gas.

2. I'll get to my original destination, thinking that I'll get gas afterwords. I'll park the car for over an hour.

3. Car seems to struggle a tiny bit to start, almost like the battery not fully charged.

4. Shortly or immediately after starting the car, the CEL will come on. I'm not sure when it comes on because I might just not be noticing it immediately, due to the other orange lights already on my dashboard (low fuel, etc). Car runs fine, otherwise.

5. I'll stop for fuel, turn the car off, fill the tank, check and clear the CEL. P0463.

6. Again, the car seems to struggle a tiny bit to start, almost like the battery not fully charged.

7. Many driving cycles follow without a Low Fuel light, without any noticeable trouble starting, without any unexpected fuel behavior from the fuel gauge, and without a CEL.

Perhaps coincidentally, this has happened on two consecutive tanks of gas from different gas station brands in different parts of town.
Same exact thing here
Faceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
Freetime

Drives: Raven Manual FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quit letting your gas light come on. Problem solved.
Freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freetime For This Useful Post:
guybo (03-01-2017), SlammedSilly (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
JazzleSAURUS

Drives: 15 BRZ LTD, 05 FXT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
It doesn't cost you much more to keep the tank full, than it does empty...
SOLD: 2015 WRB BRZ Limited ('02 WRX BBS, S-04's, Stoptech Sport pads, MXP SP, AVO drop in filter, Mishimoto Intake tube, decatted header, OFT 93 Stage 2 EL Tune, Kartboy rear shifter bushing, Whiteline transmission and subframe lockout bushings, ST Coilovers, SPC Camber bolts w/smaller crash bolt, SPC LCA's & SPC Toe Arm bushings, Red TOMs, TRD Wing.)
JazzleSAURUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazzleSAURUS For This Useful Post:
SlammedSilly (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #11
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freetime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzleSAURUS View Post
It doesn't cost you much more to keep the tank full, than it does empty...
This shouldn't be happening, this is not a solution imo.

That's almost like saying "My car won't turn left" and your answer being "Well just make 3 rights".

It doesn't sound like these guys are driving deep into empty territory (I have with no issues, I've filled over 12 gallons twice now and over 11.5 ~20x (13.2 gallon tank) without issue), considering check engine lights can put the car in limp mode (likely to happen with a fueling code) this can cause legitimate problems.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-26-2016), Harvie1031 (04-26-2016)
Old 09-22-2015, 01:48 AM   #12
l0aded
Addicted

Garage
Just a short update. I have not thrown the code since I first posted back in Feb (I think). The culprit IMO was using Torco Accelerator (concentrated race fuel for octane boosting). Since I stopped using that I have not thrown codes.

Also, back when I was throwing codes there was no effect on the car as far as I could tell. Besides temporarily losing cruise control lol.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:49 AM   #13
microbionic

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This issue has started to occur on my stock 13 BRZ, for the past 3 tanks. I have since been trying to keep the fuel level higher. but still would like to find a solution. Anybody?
microbionic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
angadam

Drives: 14 BRZ Limited
I also had this issue about 6 months ago but it seemed to clear up on its own so I let it go. Other than a single fill up that I put 11.5 gallons in when the tank showed just over 1/4 before I haven't had any issues until yesterday. The check engine light is back on and the gauge seems to be in a different spot every time I start the car. I have an appointment with the local Subaru dealer on Monday and I will post what they find.
angadam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to angadam For This Useful Post:
zc06_kisstherain (04-25-2016)