follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2021, 01:37 PM   #15
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowsFeast View Post
I wasn't aware that there was a change to the sound deadening between early models and later; did this change in line with the 2017 face lift or at a different time?

For OP; like everyone else says, probably aftermarket exhaust. Could be headers, catback, or both. Even an axleback might be loud enough for what you describe (there's some which are really just muffler deletes).
I've driven a couple refreshed twins and they definitely sound a little more insulated..I could be wrong but I thought there were some official docs showing a little extra sound deadening material was placed around trunk area.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:44 PM   #16
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
I dont think it should be that much louder than your typical econobox like a corolla.
eh, the twins are indeed particularly loud inside.. Corollas, especially this most recent gen, feel quite insulated compared to the twins.. even last gen Corolla which I have had a lot of seat time in was a bit quieter than the refreshed twins. If you watch Alex on Autos on Youtube he measures the decibels at 50 MPH and both last gen and current gen Corollas were quieter.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:28 PM   #17
jello_fello

Drives: nissan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gosh. Thanks so much for the input guys. This is probably the friendliest welcome I've ever had on any forum. Yeah... reading/following up from what you guys have been talking about... it does sound like the previous owner was going after a particular.. 'effect' (car's been lowered, non-stock exhausts, probably something to the manifold).

Sounds like I'm just gonna have to dig in for the long game and hope a closer to stock model appears on the market. I'm actually really open to the idea of taking a modded car and burning some weekends to return it to something closer to stock. fun 'rona project. But I'm also under the impression that some stuff can't be reversed and these might not be detectable even with a PPI. But the but to that would also be... this is just the inherent risk in the used car market (e.g. seller could swap engine oils type right before sells). any thoughts?

And really... thanks so much guys. y'all are awesome.
jello_fello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #18
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
anything that would be irreversible would normally have indicators of being heavily and/or poorly modded.

anything that's more the normal stuff-- exhaust/wheels/lighting is generally going to be easy to reverse back, just be aware of the potential cost to un-convert, to sway the sales price lower.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:20 AM   #19
scion fr-s

Drives: 2017 PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Find a bone stock virgin one. That way you know it has not been raped with aftermarket parts. It took me two years and I found one. Keep looking and one will pop up eventually. Good luck.
scion fr-s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scion fr-s For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-05-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 05:08 PM   #20
BrahmaBull1990
Howdy

Drives: 2020 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scion fr-s View Post
Find a bone stock virgin one. That way you know it has not been raped with aftermarket parts. It took me two years and I found one. Keep looking and one will pop up eventually. Good luck.
Strong rhetoric haha
There's a point at 7,000 RPM... where everything fades. The machine becomes weightless. Just disappears. And all that's left is a body moving through space and time. 7,000 RPM. That's where you meet it. You feel it coming. It creeps up on you, close in your ear. Asks you a question. The only question that matters. Who are you?
BrahmaBull1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #21
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Your highness, we had to cancel the march of the virgins. One got sick and the other will not march alone.

Happy hunting.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-03-2021), NoHaveMSG (03-04-2021), soundman98 (03-03-2021)
Old 03-04-2021, 08:03 PM   #22
computeruser

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Find a stock one. Preferably owned by someone who acts in a mature fashion and doesn’t flog their cars. Makes things a lot easier.

Not that I’m looking to sell, but my 2015 is stock and I have every receipt from new for maintenance and service. A car like this would be a safe buy. You could then go on to done what you want to it without having to reverse engineer whatever the previous owner did.
computeruser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to computeruser For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (03-05-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #23
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by computeruser View Post
Find a stock one. Preferably owned by someone who acts in a mature fashion and doesn’t flog their cars. Makes things a lot easier.

Not that I’m looking to sell, but my 2015 is stock and I have every receipt from new for maintenance and service. A car like this would be a safe buy. You could then go on to done what you want to it without having to reverse engineer whatever the previous owner did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scion fr-s View Post
I couldn't agree more with both of these suggestions. I've been driving for nearly 50 years (yeah, half a century, makes me old, but also experienced)(ugly too, but that's not important). I've owned well over 100 cars in my life, and probably looked at many thousands in countless car searches.

One of the reliable constants in an otherwise ever-changing world is that modified cars are a PITA to be avoided. First, you have to figure out if the previous owner knew what they were doing in modifying the car. Some do, and do it beautifully. Most don't. Improper modifications have no upside. It's often not good for the reliability or longevity of a car.

Second, if someone has modified a car, then that almost always means they've beaten the crap out of it. It's amazing how quickly an engine can be killed if it's flogged hard. Notice how many 'hot' cars seem to be puffing blue smoke despite relatively low mileage? It's not because of manufacturing defects, but heavy right feet.

Sometimes you can find a car that's been thoughtfully modified by someone who knows what they're doing, and also happened to not have run the car hard. But the odds are better of winning the lottery. Little inconsequential mods (shift knob, muffler, etc.) are irrelevant, but in general, I totally agree with @computeruser and @scion fr-s - stay away from modded cars unless you're a masochist.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (03-05-2021), scion fr-s (03-06-2021)
Old 03-05-2021, 06:26 PM   #24
scuzzy

Drives: 22 BRZ limited MT
If you are still looking when the next gen comes out I'll have mine on the market wink wink
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #25
jello_fello

Drives: nissan
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzzy View Post
If you are still looking when the next gen comes out I'll have mine on the market wink wink
hoho... this could really be where this is going given the current data I have. Used car market's still pretty hot and the online retailers are snapping up private offers to ride the wave. talk about bad timing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogman View Post
Second, if someone has modified a car, then that almost always means they've beaten the crap out of it. It's amazing how quickly an engine can be killed if it's flogged hard. Notice how many 'hot' cars seem to be puffing blue smoke despite relatively low mileage? It's not because of manufacturing defects, but heavy right feet.
aye. slowly collecting the necessary ammunition to fire away the questions that can catch this. any tips on how to be casual with those questions? knowing how excited i can get... i'd probably get a little too upfront about it...
jello_fello is offline   Reply With Quote