follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #211
ayoshioka1

Drives: 2019 BRZ / E36 325is
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
I think that is as much camber as you can get with SS-1 on OEM crash bolts. I have that exact setup and I am very nearly maxed out at -2.7 in the front.
not bad for just oem crash bolts. i have a set of spc camber bolts if i need them ready to go!
Old 10-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #212
ayoshioka1

10/17/20

Buttonwillow CW13 Shakedown

Mods: 86CUP Mod Class
255/35/18 NS2R
RCE SS-1, stock sways
stock engine + axleback muffler delete
stock aero besides cleib front lip + side skirt + verus rear diffuser.
Jackson Racing Dual Cooler
-3.1F / -2.4R -0.08 toe out / 0.13 toe in

This will be my second time driving CW13. I have driven Streets of Willow about a dozen times now and gaining a bit more confidence going through corners at 90-100+ mph. First time as well on the new SS-1 setup and was excited to put down some hot laps. Before heading out I have set the dampers at 8F/6R from full stiff. Car had quite a bit of roll compared to my old Cusco setup but the roll made for more predictable weight transfer and the break away grip from the tires was also very controllable as well. Instantly felt so much more bump travel than before and was able to confidently hit curbs without upsetting the car. Going through bus stop flat and hopping over the curb was not an issue anymore. Was also able to carry speeds at around 90+ entering riverside and maintaining that 90+ and exiting near 100 and approaching phil hill at 100+. At the end of the day I changed the rebound settings to full stiff ( 3 from full stiff F/R ) to see what would happen. Car had little less roll and didn't change that much in terms of ride harshness on track. Car seemed to be a bit easier to rotate on throttle around cotton corners and the last double apex sweeper before the S. This is probably the setting that I may end up with going forward. I just wish there was a bit more of rebound adjustment at the top as I'm already maxed out full stiff first time out. Managed a PB of 2:06.7XX. I was no where near the limit of the tires and I'm sure there is another 2-3 seconds on the table if i can get more seat time.

Overall these coil overs worked great. The 6k 7k spring rates worked very well as predicted. Never had any issues in terms of understeer. Was able to rotate the car on throttle with no problem. Dampers felt consistent and didn't seem to lose any performance after doing 8 laps in a session on a 95+ degree California desert heat. Wish the damper profile had a bit more firm rebound setting as I was already maxed out first time on track testing. Nonetheless, I was able to dial back the rebound for the drive home and the ride was smooth and comfortable. Hitting up Buttonwillow again in December for the final round of 86Cup of the season so hopefully for some cooler weather and a new PB.

pics from the event

CSG Mike (10-20-2020), Racecomp Engineering (10-20-2020), Thefalls (10-20-2020)
Old 10-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #213
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoshioka1 View Post
10/17/20

Buttonwillow CW13 Shakedown

Mods: 86CUP Mod Class
255/35/18 NS2R
RCE SS-1, stock sways
stock engine + axleback muffler delete
stock aero besides cleib front lip + side skirt + verus rear diffuser.
Jackson Racing Dual Cooler
-3.1F / -2.4R -0.08 toe out / 0.13 toe in

This will be my second time driving CW13. I have driven Streets of Willow about a dozen times now and gaining a bit more confidence going through corners at 90-100+ mph. First time as well on the new SS-1 setup and was excited to put down some hot laps. Before heading out I have set the dampers at 8F/6R from full stiff. Car had quite a bit of roll compared to my old Cusco setup but the roll made for more predictable weight transfer and the break away grip from the tires was also very controllable as well. Instantly felt so much more bump travel than before and was able to confidently hit curbs without upsetting the car. Going through bus stop flat and hopping over the curb was not an issue anymore. Was also able to carry speeds at around 90+ entering riverside and maintaining that 90+ and exiting near 100 and approaching phil hill at 100+. At the end of the day I changed the rebound settings to full stiff ( 3 from full stiff F/R ) to see what would happen. Car had little less roll and didn't change that much in terms of ride harshness on track. Car seemed to be a bit easier to rotate on throttle around cotton corners and the last double apex sweeper before the S. This is probably the setting that I may end up with going forward. I just wish there was a bit more of rebound adjustment at the top as I'm already maxed out full stiff first time out. Managed a PB of 2:06.7XX. I was no where near the limit of the tires and I'm sure there is another 2-3 seconds on the table if i can get more seat time.

Overall these coil overs worked great. The 6k 7k spring rates worked very well as predicted. Never had any issues in terms of understeer. Was able to rotate the car on throttle with no problem. Dampers felt consistent and didn't seem to lose any performance after doing 8 laps in a session on a 95+ degree California desert heat. Wish the damper profile had a bit more firm rebound setting as I was already maxed out first time on track testing. Nonetheless, I was able to dial back the rebound for the drive home and the ride was smooth and comfortable. Hitting up Buttonwillow again in December for the final round of 86Cup of the season so hopefully for some cooler weather and a new PB.

pics from the event

So good to get such comprehensive feedback in such a short period of time!
I thought I was in one of our driver engineering debriefs during our SRO weekends!

So I will be the first to say that our intended market for these was medium track with the ability to drive home as you mentioned in comfort! And yes on 6K springs I can see with your experience and ability to think thru a lap, being almost maxed out.

Beyond your setup would put one into Tarmac 2 territory with 7K entry springs and a ceiling of 12K!

When you decide t go firmer on rates give me a call to discuss what to expect!

Thanks for the feedback!

Myles Williams
RCE
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
ayoshioka1 (10-21-2020)
Old 10-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #214
ayoshioka1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
So good to get such comprehensive feedback in such a short period of time!
I thought I was in one of our driver engineering debriefs during our SRO weekends!

So I will be the first to say that our intended market for these was medium track with the ability to drive home as you mentioned in comfort! And yes on 6K springs I can see with your experience and ability to think thru a lap, being almost maxed out.

Beyond your setup would put one into Tarmac 2 territory with 7K entry springs and a ceiling of 12K!

When you decide t go firmer on rates give me a call to discuss what to expect!

Thanks for the feedback!

Myles Williams
RCE
haha thanks!

once i develop more as a driver. i will definitely make the switch over to the T2 setup!
Old 06-01-2021, 10:08 AM   #215
Lakitu

Drives: 2017 Halo 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Does anyone own the RCE SS-1 and can test to how they feel on the streets with stock springs they come with? Any reviews?

The search on these forums pull up no results when searching for "RCE" and this is the only thread I could manually find that mentions the RCE coilovers.

I am having a problem with my current setup and looking for alternative solution. Ride quality is very harsh with frequent vibration that rocks me around in cabin constantly, while also being overly bouncy at the same time. Its like being in a boat during an earthquake at the same time. I've used two different coilovers and have the same problem. I bought $1000 BC Racing which felt awful even on smooth streets. Then I bought $1800 RS*R which were only slightly better, but still the same harshness. Every bump in the road is felt repeatedly. The nose of the car dips constantly. No matter what damper setting combination front/back. I spent 2 years experimenting with the knobs and they could not achieve a decent smooth ride. Installment was done exactly by the manual and alignment was done right after. Tires are Firehawk Indy 500, 245/35 18"

Any input greatly appreciated. I'm tired of getting actual headaches from driving my car. Thanks
Old 06-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #216
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Where are you located? I suggest you try and find a local to do a ride along. I have them. As I have stated in other threads they are still stiff but do better over bumps and absorb bumps better so it's less crashy. But all this is subjective. To one person is stiff to another they are soft... If your in SoCal be happy to give you a ride along

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 11:42 AM   #217
Tatsu333

Drives: 2020 BRZ Sport Tech RS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I picked up a set of used SS1's and installed them yesterday, and thought I'd share my initial ride quality impressions here. I go into a little more detail on the install and the couple of small issues I ran into in my car journal here if you're interested.

I had pre-set the ride height thanks to the info from this post from earlier in this thread from Andrew at RCE. I took his recommended measurements for a 25mm drop and subtracted 5mm to get the same 30mm-ish drop I had on my H&R springs. They measured out exactly right, with a 13.25" measurement from fender lip to the centre of the wheels front and rear, and I was sure glad not to have to do any monkeying around to get the ride height dialed in post-install.

I also set the dampers front and rear to RCE's recommended settings for the street (-14 from full stiff front which is 2 clicks from full soft / -16 from full stiff rear, which is full soft). Considering the MCA Traction Mod I have installed in the rear, I can likely go a little bit stiffer with the rear damping than the baseline recommendations without it getting too snappy, but I'm not ready to play around with that yet.

Ride quality impressions from a drive around town focusing on some of the worst roads in the area are quite good! While I wouldn't *quite* go so far as to say the ride is better than stock like some have said, it is still very impressive.

It's definitely more stiffly sprung than my H&R Sport springs, but the damping is WAY better than the Performance Pack Sachs struts. I would rate the overall ride quality pretty much the same as the H&R / PP struts combo (and a bit behind the stock Performance Pack setup), but with a couple of key differences.

First, it's a little busier over small road imperfections, but not bouncy. You can feel the road, but it's nicely damped. I'd say it's more "detailed" in its road feel than my previous setup, but not unpleasant.

Second, it is FAR superior on bigger bumps like sunken manhole covers, train tracks and what passes for road repairs in our town...LOL. My old setup was a bit "crashy" over that type of stuff, and while you definitely notice the impact with the SS1's, it is much more controlled and attenuated nicely. This is definitely down to the quality of the damping and the increased bump travel in the front.

I don't have any feedback on what it feels like with some "spirited" driving yet - I'm going to wait until after the alignment this coming Friday to push it a bit, and then I have my first track weekend with the car coming up in three weeks' time.

When I was first considering these coilovers way back when, I was thinking I'd likely have to swap out the springs for a slightly softer rate (maybe switching to 50-200's like the standard rear rate on the ST XTA's these are based on) for them to really be perfect on the street, but now I'm not so sure. They feel pretty good as-is, so I'll give it some time and see how they do longer-term.

Overall, super happy with the switch, and looking forward to putting these through their paces on my favourite roads and on track!