follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2016, 08:18 PM   #15
i_deecee

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
was my cousin's car, bought it from him way under a CPO price. i would say 80% manual mode 20% in D. I have a tanabe concept g single exit.
i_deecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:42 PM   #16
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmctacticz View Post
anyone out here actually got to test drive both a manual and auto and still went with the flappy paddles
Me, but I went specifically for the auto for the reason I already said, while I was waiting for my car to be prepped for delivery I asked if I could drive one they had with Firestorm with a TRD intake and exhaust. It's very fun, way easier to get the rear to step out and more playful.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:46 PM   #17
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
For 200hp car is not worth it with paddle shift imo
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
Whodunit

Drives: White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
C'mon man give the autos a chance... at the end of the day not even a GTR is a manual anymore!!!
You're right, they use a dual clutch which is an incredible transmission.

I really hate seeing this because it just confirms people group all automatics.

There is such a massive difference between a proper dual clutch like the gtr and 911 have, compared to a normal automatic with a torque converter that has a "manual" mode. A DCT doesn't have a torque converter, the worst part of an auto tranny.

Please don't compare the tiptronic automatics to a proper dual clutch. The twins are not a dual clutch.
Whodunit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whodunit For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:58 AM   #19
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
ib4l

This: http://club4ag.com/frs-experience/

And this (even though he wrote it after I got the car, very accurate): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6485

In terms of exhaust drone is a big issue in AT due to the low cruising RPM if you are lazy like me and leave it in full auto 80% of the time. I went through 3 exhausts before I was happy with my Tanabe Concept G. This car has no sound deadening and bad accustics it seems so its loud inside. Get something quieter and be happy (Perrin resonated, Tanabe, Ft86SF). If you end up wanting more noise get a header, overpipe, front pip, or any combination of those til you're happy with your set-up. Everyone is different.

Also the MT is this car sucks imo, but I didnt know that til I drove one way later and am very happy with my AT after that fact

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #20
ort895

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I went with an auto because right now it's my only car to drive. So I want something sporty and fun but I also want the ability to just cruise.
I love it. Also, I can usually keep up with it beat "faster" cars to 60 because most guys can't shift fast enough.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodunit View Post
You're right, they use a dual clutch which is an incredible transmission.

I really hate seeing this because it just confirms people group all automatics.

There is such a massive difference between a proper dual clutch like the gtr and 911 have, compared to a normal automatic with a torque converter that has a "manual" mode. A DCT doesn't have a torque converter, the worst part of an auto tranny.

Please don't compare the tiptronic automatics to a proper dual clutch. The twins are not a dual clutch.
And for the purposes of grouping things together, we have cars with clutches and cars without clutches. No one except for butthurt enthusiasts give a damn whether or not the GTR or 911 has a torque converter or a dual clutch.

We could argue in circles all day, but at the end of the day, the GTR and the 911 still have an automatic transmission
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
orangespark (03-22-2016), Tectoniic (03-23-2016), Ultramaroon (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #22
Kestrel

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S AT
Flappy Wappy all day because racecar
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #23
projectXTR

Drives: Sterling Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I wish I went with the auto because of the daily stop and go traffic during my commute.
Unfortunately I didn't have the patience to wait for it and bought my car which just came in when I visited the garage.
projectXTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #24
sodjer

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Send a message via MSN to sodjer
At 6'5" there aren't a lot of manuals I can drive w/o bashing my knee into the steering wheel. Same knee I've destroyed, so it probably wouldn't really get along with the repetitive motion either. (Torn every ligament at least once, taking the meniscus with them - also now have an unstable patella, so if I twist just right my knee cap slides out and gets stuck on the side of the knee ) I seriously considered the manual but didn't think it'd be a comfortable decision in the long run, plus I was able to find my auto for a great price.

I drive it in manual mode quite a bit, but can't comment on the exhaust as mine is still all stock. I am considering an UEL header and Perrin resonated cat back soon, but that shouldn't be loud or drone.
sodjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:52 PM   #25
skye67

Drives: 2013 black AT, OFT, 4.65
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've owned both the manual and automatic transmission. As I was driving the car during business I found it very busy shifting and talking on the phone at the same time. After crashing my first car, I got an automatic for my second one. I drive the car almost 100% in sport mode. I find the car very responsive in the shifting and downshifting when I need it. And now that I replace the rear end with a 4.65 gear ratios. In sport mode it shifts very aggressively. And with a full open tablet set up on my car, intake to exhaust. I find a car is very sporty and quick. And in quick as an quicker than a New V6 Camaro or an older RX8.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:58 PM   #26
congee

Drives: SSM BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skye67 View Post
I've owned both the manual and automatic transmission. As I was driving the car during business I found it very busy shifting and talking on the phone at the same time. After crashing my first car, I got an automatic for my second one. I drive the car almost 100% in sport mode. I find the car very responsive in the shifting and downshifting when I need it. And now that I replace the rear end with a 4.65 gear ratios. In sport mode it shifts very aggressively. And with a full open tablet set up on my car, intake to exhaust. I find a car is very sporty and quick. And in quick as an quicker than a New V6 Camaro or an older RX8.
Headers too???

I'm debating on either getting my final drive first or headers first. What would you guys recommend?
Old 03-22-2016, 05:08 PM   #27
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Bruh you're talking about whats faster lol ... you have a BRZ not an STI lol

EDIT: auto or manual your car is still a brz/frs not a V8 mustang so dont include speed in this
Bring an STI, unless it's written cobb under the hood I'm not scared

Also I think there may be something faulty with your sarcasm detector.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:09 PM   #28
fumanchu1

Drives: 2013 Brz C38 (bought not built :P)
Thanked 1,249 Times in 802 Posts
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
I use auto mode... by which I mean my brain automatically tells my body to shift gears without me having to think about it... I AM THE AUTO TRANSMISSION, not to be confused with the auto tranny, who's just a trans that's into cars.
fumanchu1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dumb thread