follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
ft86me

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Perrin oil cooler trouble

anyone have trouble installing this kit? I got it on, but the oil filter extender they provided was a pain to tighten down due to a metal piece of the thermostat housing that lead me not able to place a socket completely on it. I tried a regular socket, i tried a thin wall and a metal piece that's a part of the housing on the left just made it impossible. I got it tightened down, but the sides are now rounded off.

Also with the longer hose, did anyone run into an issue of the house being kinked? I tried to do everything possible even rerouting it differently to make sure it isn't kinked, but had an issue. I had to reroute it under the AC line in order to eliminate some of the kink issue. Trust me I tried to do it with the thermostat portion loose and even tried it with thermostat portion off and the front mount even loose. Still either way, the kink is there. Directions were followed properly. Perhaps a defect?

Yeah it's on there and isn't leaking, but concern is when the vortech kit comes and if i need to move the thermostat housing over more, I don't think I can get the nut off easily since it's kinda rounded off on the edges now. Then I'd be worried about trying to retighten the thing so it won't leak.

tried to hit up perrin about this but no phone call back. i'll hit them up again on monday. any input or help would be great though.
ft86me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
LeeMaster
Red wine

Drives: Subaru BRZ(R.I.P)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
anyone have trouble installing this kit? I got it on, but the oil filter extender they provided was a pain to tighten down due to a metal piece of the thermostat housing that lead me not able to place a socket completely on it. I tried a regular socket, i tried a thin wall and a metal piece that's a part of the housing on the left just made it impossible. I got it tightened down, but the sides are now rounded off.

Also with the longer hose, did anyone run into an issue of the house being kinked? I tried to do everything possible even rerouting it differently to make sure it isn't kinked, but had an issue. I had to reroute it under the AC line in order to eliminate some of the kink issue. Trust me I tried to do it with the thermostat portion loose and even tried it with thermostat portion off and the front mount even loose. Still either way, the kink is there. Directions were followed properly. Perhaps a defect?

Yeah it's on there and isn't leaking, but concern is when the vortech kit comes and if i need to move the thermostat housing over more, I don't think I can get the nut off easily since it's kinda rounded off on the edges now. Then I'd be worried about trying to retighten the thing so it won't leak.
I got this kit, the extender where you mount the oil filter on uses a 27mm socket, I tighten it down enough to the point where I can no longer twist the thermostat with my hands(no need to overtighten). I did ended up touching the metal a little bit with the socket.

As far as kinking goes, I think you either A) Twisted the hose while doing the install(most likely), or B) Your hose is not sitting in the place where it should be(I had to custom fit mines because I did not take off my bumper), or C) You zip tied the hose before installing them, or D) The thermostat housing is not facing the direction it should be facing.

You need to provide a picture of your install so we can better help determine what your issue is.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeMaster View Post
I got this kit, the extender where you mount the oil filter on uses a 27mm socket, I tighten it down enough to the point where I can no longer twist the thermostat with my hands(no need to overtighten). I did ended up touching the metal a little bit with the socket.

As far as kinking goes, I think you either A) Twisted the hose while doing the install(most likely), or B) Your hose is not sitting in the place where it should be(I had to custom fit mines because I did not take off my bumper), or C) You zip tied the hose before installing them, or D) The thermostat housing is not facing the direction it should be facing.

You need to provide a picture of your install so we can better help determine what your issue is.
the 27mm portion i cannot get because i don't have my tools here at home. but yeah i just couldn't get it to grip even with a thin wall.

as for the kinking, i guess you could say it's more of a bend instead of a kink. A: I tried to take off one end and turn the hose and nothing. when I had it connected to the front mount i routed the hose nicely with no pinch or kink, the fitting points straight up which would cause it to be off and there fore making me kink or pinch it. b: i routed it as you can see properly and it goes in front of the reservoir for washer fluid then under the bumper brace with the longer behind the shorter one. c: i didn't zip tie until the end. d: in the pics you can see how I have the housing pointed.

Pretty much tried to loosen one end and then try to make it work . if and when it didn't i re routed and tried the other end being loose and the other end screwed on. it just wouldn't line up so in order to eliminate the big pinch, i had to route it under the ac line as shown. Hopefully this isn't an issue when my vortech kit comes. thanks again

Last edited by ft86me; 04-29-2013 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
LeeMaster
Red wine

This explains it, your left hose is not properly setup. Here is how it should have been installed, this way it is straight and as smooth as possible. Notice how the right side by the oil cap is close but not touching and making sure that the oil cap is removable, and the left side it is close to the air filter box but not touching.

just a hair from contact

Here is how the hose lined up

I hope this gives you a better idea, and goodluck.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
ft86me

Quote:
This explains it, your left hose is not properly setup. Here is how it should have been installed, this way it is straight and as smooth as possible. Notice how the right side by the oil cap is close but not touching and making sure that the oil cap is removable, and the left side it is close to the air filter box but not touching.

just a hair from contact

Here is how the hose lined up

I hope this gives you a better idea, and goodluck.
Thanks a lot man. I routed it the way I did because of If do it the way you did it, the hose pinches right in front of the windshield washer fluid reservoir. I'll give this a shot and try to turn the thermostat some more to see if it works. Thanks.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
stockysnail
Just the tip

Drives: 2013 Lightning Red Subaru BRZ Mt Lt
Thanked 1,004 Times in 665 Posts
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
The big 27mm nut I tightened with a crescent wrench from the top. I gave it as much force as I could from that awkward angle. The 'kink' as you mentioned, you can twist the silver metal piece that comes out of the sandwich plate so that it points in a better direction. I was able to do this by hand after I got the sandwich plate on with a little force.
stockysnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
LeeMaster
Red wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86me View Post
Thanks a lot man. I routed it the way I did because of If do it the way you did it, the hose pinches right in front of the windshield washer fluid reservoir. I'll give this a shot and try to turn the thermostat some more to see if it works. Thanks.
If you are having a hard time with it, you can make it easier by removing the top screw that is holding the windshield reservoir so that you can have a little more room to work with the hose.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
ft86me

Quote:
If you are having a hard time with it, you can make it easier by removing the top screw that is holding the windshield reservoir so that you can have a little more room to work with the hose.
Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try all that. If that's a no go, but I'm just going to take the hose off and adjust the head portion where it screws onto the Tstat then re clamp
Old 04-29-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
PERRIN_Chris

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 137 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to PERRIN_Chris
Hi, I got your phone message the other day, but I think I got the wrong number, because the number didn't go through. Looks like one of the the hoses were routed over , the way leemaster had them are correct, with them both facing down, going under the A/C line. If you're still having issues, update the thread and we can help you out.
PERRIN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PERRIN_Chris For This Useful Post:
ft86me (04-29-2013), LeeMaster (04-29-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #10
ft86me

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris View Post
Hi, I got your phone message the other day, but I think I got the wrong number, because the number didn't go through. Looks like one of the the hoses were routed over , the way leemaster had them are correct, with them both facing down, going under the A/C line. If you're still having issues, update the thread and we can help you out.
Thanks for your help man. I gotta find time here at work to pull the bumper off etc. I'll get pics soon as I can.