follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 12-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #29
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Has anyone considered the hood spacers? I know they're "rice" too but if it was only for track use it might save us from buying a hood that fits like shit. I'll look when I get of work this morning at my hood to see if there's a good spot to cut some speed holes lol

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #30
Brody602
Drift King

Drives: '13 Firestorm FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
@Gen another option would be to custom fit GTR vent hoods into it, although they're fairly small so not sure how much gains you would see..

Edit: found this option too but I'm uncertain of fitment and the positioning of the vents, but would probably be one of the closer ones to the M3 style you want.

http://www.redline360.com/extreme-di...frs-brz-108367
Old 12-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #31
Dipstik-sportech

Drives: 2013 BRZ satin white pearl sportech
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
@FullBlown would something like neemas hood be doable?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Attached Images

2013 SWP BRZ sportech. 11.11sec@129.01mph, 511whp on e70. FullBlown base kit, FullBlown built 9.5:1 engine, GTX3076R GEN2 turbo, 1700cc Bosch injectors, FullBlown flex fuel kit, FullBlown radiator and oil cooler, FullBlown custom 3" dual exit exhaust, act xtreme clutch, whiteline diff and subframe inserts, BC Racing coilovers, hotchkiss 18mm rear sway, is300 3.73 differential ... Never finished
Dipstik-sportech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstik-sportech For This Useful Post:
Brody602 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #32
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Coming from the cobra world, this plagued the cobras on the track! (03 and later cobras are all factory supercharged for those who don't know)

Honestly, the BEST thing that worked for the cobras was a functional heat extractor hood. A true heat extractor hood will create a low spot of pressure and literally suck the hot air out. If/when I go turbo, a heat extractor hood is going to be a must.

Edit: Example of a heat extractor hood on a cobra made by tiger racing

And here is a custom fabbed one done by one of the track whore's here in socal. He has an orange cobra, but this is the 3rd one he's made for local cobra owners. The original was tested on his track car.

And his orange cobra

Last edited by suaveflooder; 12-16-2013 at 01:53 AM.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suaveflooder For This Useful Post:
mrk1 (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:18 AM   #33
Brody602
Drift King

Let's just drive hoodless.. MAXIMUM heat extraction. LOL.
SilverSkyline210 (01-04-2014), toekneehair (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 01:50 AM   #34
toekneehair

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ/FBM turbo flexfuel
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

What do you guys think of this hood? I figured the scoop would help bring in more fresh air and the vents on the side would allow heat to escape.
toekneehair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #35
Brody602
Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by toekneehair View Post

What do you guys think of this hood? I figured the scoop would help bring in more fresh air and the vents on the side would allow heat to escape.
Most people are going for the more subtle look, i.e. Leaning more towards vents as opposed to scoops, although I was also considering the FA20 hood like you for the same reasons BUT, I read a post from a fellow member stating that under high speeds the hood lifted up like crazy, so unless planning on using hood pins, I'd stick to vents as opposed to a scoop.

Technically speaking, airflow should pass through the front grill and push air/heat up the vents in the hood anyways.
Old 12-16-2013, 02:03 AM   #36
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brody602 View Post
Let's just drive hoodless.. MAXIMUM heat extraction. LOL.
Not a good idea

"It is proven, because not just on Terminators but on many road race vehicles, which use WOT for very long periods of time, these hoods have been in use for many years and have proven to be VERY effective at increasing the cooling effectiveness of existing cooling systems and also increasing frontal downforce. They are so effective that on actual race cars that do not sit still, they do not use a radiator fan. Obviously if the car is not moving it will start to heat up.

Why not just remove the hood all together?

The radiator does not remove heat unless air flows through it. There is an air pressure difference in front of the radiator and behind it.

If you remove the hood I have often seen cars actually over heat.
This is because the turbulent air gets swirled down in behind the radiator and reduces the amount of difference between inlet air pressure and behind the rad pressure. That reduces air flow and less heat is removed.

Why this design hood works so well and why it works better than the two vents on our stock hoods, is because...

1. There is more vent area.
2. Each vent is shaped to provide a vacuum pull on the air below it in the engine bay, as air flows over the tops of the vents. There are rows of multiple vents, so there are multiple low pressure extraction points.

How's that? does that help?"
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #37
toekneehair

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ/FBM turbo flexfuel
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Most people are going for the more subtle look, i.e. Leaning more towards vents as opposed to scoops, although I was also considering the FA20 hood like you for the same reasons BUT, I read a post from a fellow member stating that under high speeds the hood lifted up like crazy, so unless planning on using hood pins, I'd stick to vents as opposed to a scoop.

Technically speaking, airflow should pass through the front grill and push air/heat up the vents in the hood anyways.
Wow thats good to know! I wouldn't want the hood to fly off. Pins might be more then I would want. I thought if it was painted it would have had that old Subaru look and that is why I was interested over just regular vented hoods.
toekneehair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 02:07 AM   #38
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Unless the car is running a TMIC, I find hood scoops to be worthless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
Hawk77FT (12-16-2013)
Old 12-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #39
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Unless the car is running a TMIC, I find hood scoops to be worthless.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Also counter productive from what I hear. My understanding is you don't want to create another point of positive pressure or you reduce the radiators performance.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:09 AM   #40
cf6mech

Drives: FRS Silver LS1 swapped.
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
To me it seems a vented hood is almost mandatory for this car with a top mounted turbo.
cf6mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:25 AM   #41
Diggitydog89

Drives: 2005 Chrysler Crossfire
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
So for those who have gone with a turbo charger fighting heat can be a big battle. I can't speak for the supercharger owners so if any of you who have I welcome you to chime in.

I would like to know what others are doing to battle the heat that builds up in the engine bay.

Today I went with a few others on a mountain run and when we started going up hill and through the turns I noticed my temps started to raise. I pulled over before I got to hot and had to cool down. In fact I had to do this a few times before turning around and going down hill. Down hill was fine but I was coasting more then I was boosting so I think that had a big role I'm keeping temps down. On the highway I seem to be fine unless running it hard.

I have for cooling help
Full Blown radiator
Mishimoto oil cooler
Exhaust wrapping from manifold through the down pipe.
No bottom metal skid panel
And the fog lights removed to provide air to the oil cooler.
Braided hoses for oil and coolant.

Running full blown stage 1 kit
On order turbo heat cover by DEI
To shed some light on why you may be experiencing higher temps in mountain areas. You may be experiencing elevating temps due to higher elevations of where your car is. The term, "heat rises to the top" does in deed apply to this on your cars motor since you're higher and the air is thinner. You are also experiencing higher temps due to going up hill and putting more work on your motor. I dont know if this has already been answered but there ya go .
Diggitydog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #42
Pablitomarrero

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
So for those who have gone with a turbo charger fighting heat can be a big battle. I can't speak for the supercharger owners so if any of you who have I welcome you to chime in.

I would like to know what others are doing to battle the heat that builds up in the engine bay.

Today I went with a few others on a mountain run and when we started going up hill and through the turns I noticed my temps started to raise. I pulled over before I got to hot and had to cool down. In fact I had to do this a few times before turning around and going down hill. Down hill was fine but I was coasting more then I was boosting so I think that had a big role I'm keeping temps down. On the highway I seem to be fine unless running it hard.

I have for cooling help
Full Blown radiator
Mishimoto oil cooler
Exhaust wrapping from manifold through the down pipe.
No bottom metal skid panel
And the fog lights removed to provide air to the oil cooler.
Braided hoses for oil and coolant.

Running full blown stage 1 kit
On order turbo heat cover by DEI
when you say mountain run... you literally mean push it up to the top? Spirited driving? Most engines will overheat in this situation. Not only are you working your engine to it max, but you are also adding a very big load by going uphill. If you go too long without letting the engine breathe in between WOT it will undoubtedly heat up... And CF hoods w/ scoops are rice IMO
Pablitomarrero is offline   Reply With Quote