follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AD86D View Post
Let me help you guys here...There is a Toyota Bulletin on the issue currently and we have already done one of these at my dealership. Take it to your dealer. So you know whats to be expected...they will PROBABLY end up replacing your complete transmission. The issue is with the shifter which shakes and is causing damage to your transmission because of some bearings inside the shifter(i think thats what it said lol). This bulletin DOES apply to certain VIN numbers but you all sound like you apply. I'm not at work so I cant post the bulletin but you will be taken care of. You should be fine after.
I'm relieved to hear that. My car was built 7/12 so I would assume it qualifies. I'll talk to my buddy who's a Toyota tech.

If you can post the TSB, please do so.
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:20 PM   #16
SubieNate

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwaziekeller View Post
I've got this problem as well. Since day one. I've learned to take the 3-4 nice and slow and it doesn't grind. Really sucks at the dragstrip tho, especially in the 1k' because the 3-4 is just before the line with stock power levels, cant run out 3rd w/o bouncing the limiter and to shift slowly means you coast across.
There is absolutely no reason to put up with or live with this on a brand new car. Take it in.
SubieNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
5AD86D

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I'm relieved to hear that. My car was built 7/12 so I would assume it qualifies. I'll talk to my buddy who's a Toyota tech.

If you can post the TSB, please do so.
I posted the TSB with a new topic under the TSB/warranty section for ALL to see. Hope that helps.
5AD86D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
I thought you said it was a new TSB regarding gear grinding? I see that you posted the rattly shifter TSB, which has been out for a while. My shifter has a tiny rattle, and my VIN is higher than what's specified in that TSB, so I don't think that one applies to me.
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #19
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AD86D View Post
Let me help you guys here...There is a Toyota Bulletin on the issue currently and we have already done one of these at my dealership. Take it to your dealer. So you know whats to be expected...they will PROBABLY end up replacing your complete transmission. The issue is with the shifter which shakes and is causing damage to your transmission because of some bearings inside the shifter(i think thats what it said lol). This bulletin DOES apply to certain VIN numbers but you all sound like you apply. I'm not at work so I cant post the bulletin but you will be taken care of. You should be fine after.

More info on this? I found your post on tsb, but it was about the shifter, not the transmission
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
5AD86D

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
I thought you said it was a new TSB regarding gear grinding? I see that you posted the rattly shifter TSB, which has been out for a while. My shifter has a tiny rattle, and my VIN is higher than what's specified in that TSB, so I don't think that one applies to me.
The job we did where the tranmission was replaced was a result of that shifter issue. The grinding in 3rd and 4th was a result of the shifter which damaged the transmission. I personally dealt with this tech who did the job. I'll try and get more details from him Tuesday when we re-open. I would still try and have the dealer look at it although the VIN does not show your number. Either way your still are under warranty for at least 36k miles so let em look at it. Worth a try right?
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
5AD86D

Garage
Oh yea...he mentioned that it would probably be more noticeable around redline and obviously progress to lesser rpm's over time. Thats why I'm thinking the shifter issue may have something to do with that. Again I'll ask him about it and get more details tuesday.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
5AD86D

Garage
Ok I spoke with the tech about this again today and he stated that this particular customer's vehicle would grind while shifting between 4th and 5th gear at RPM's above 6k from what he remebered.(job was 3 months ago now) He said it did not matter whether it was downshifting or upshifting but at speeds above 50mph and higher RPM it was evident. He was pretty busy so I didn't get to ask about synchros(just to go in depth) or any other technical stuff but he said the shifter caused the problem.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #23
86_FRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Hate to bring it topic back up but I now started to have 4th gear grind (going from 3rd to 4th gear). But its only at high RPM. I don't beat on my car, I do like to do a little sprint driving but not beat the hell out of it. Has anyone found out if this can be fixed by the dealer?
86_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:33 AM   #24
gabeg86

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
i have this problem and already took the car to toyota. i don't even beat on the car to get the 4th gear grind. it's in correlation to transmission speed, not engine speed. if i'm in 5th or 6th going 70 mph on the freeway and try to downshift to 4th, it grinds terribly and won't go into gear easily at all. i was told i have to wait till a special tech guy comes back into town to look at the problem, but was told i was getting a new transmission altogether
Perrin (LWCP) - Blox (shift knob) - HID Powerhouse (LED's and HID's) - Eibach (sportlines) - Muteki (lugs) - SPL (LCA's) - Rays Engineering (57dr's) - Dunlop Direzza ZII (tires) - Greddy (Evo3) - Full Race (turbo kit) - Ecutek (tuned)
gabeg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:29 PM   #25
MadModder

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Alright, so I'm about 98% sure I have this issue too. In third gear, at or above 6500 rpm, I get a grind when shifting up to fourth without letting the revs fall considerably. This is not something that happens here and there but EVERY time these conditions are met.

In dubai, I have taken the car to 2 dealerships to have this issue looked at. Both took the car put for a test drive and both came back and told me that they see what I am talking about and that it is NORMAL! How could this possibly be normal?
MadModder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #26
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
I have the grinding issue but with with the 2nd-3rd shift.

RPMS don't matter, shifting slow or fast doesn't matter. I can feel the teeth grinding. I can feel something pushing back.

This doesn't happen on a downshift into 3rd.. Taking mine in tomorrow to have it test-driven.
Old 07-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Gen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Mine grinds into 4th as well at high RPMs. Hesitant to try to take it to Toyota due to the turbo.
Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:36 AM   #28
86_FRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeg86 View Post
i have this problem and already took the car to toyota. i don't even beat on the car to get the 4th gear grind. it's in correlation to transmission speed, not engine speed. if i'm in 5th or 6th going 70 mph on the freeway and try to downshift to 4th, it grinds terribly and won't go into gear easily at all. i was told i have to wait till a special tech guy comes back into town to look at the problem, but was told i was getting a new transmission altogether
Any word on the transmission?
86_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote