follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 06-02-2012, 03:12 PM   #57
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Reverse Impressions.

So, it's one thing to go from one car to a new one. But it's very different going from the new one back to the previous car. The BRZ "Ghost" feels quick and tight and seems to be getting faster and faster as I drive it.

But how much of that is the car and my ability to use it improving, and how much of it is just a shift in perception?

In this case, I took my STI "Grip" out for a spin today.

I've had Grip since new. Power wise it's nearly stock with only a Stage 1 tune. I want to go Stage 2 eventually, but just haven't gotten around to it. Where Grip shines is in handling. There isn't a single piece of the suspension that I haven't had my hands on at one point or another. I'd put this car against almost anything when it comes to on-road handling.

I've AutoXed, "canyon" carved and done quite a bit with this car, so I know it inside and out. It has been a long time since Grip has scared me.

It scared me today. But I'll get to that in a second.

First off, the clutch. I thought Ghost's clutch was getting heavier as I broke it in. I've gotten better at feeling the engagement and I've been feeling better with the clutch. In this case, it's all perception. When I first went to start Grip and push the clutch in, I had to double check that I wasn't pushing in the brake. The stock STI clutch has never really been called too-heavy and I've never felt that way. But compared to the BRZ clutch, it's like exercise equipment. I was amazed at the difference and thought something had failed in the clutch since I last drove Grip.

Handling. While Ghost eagerly turns in and carves nice arcs through corners, there's still a slight feeling of effort. It's probably the Michelins scrubbing a bit. Grip on the other hand slices through corners so effortlessly. There's room to improve the BRZ suspension. However, while Grip changes direction quickly and with accuracy, it doesn't have the sense of eagerness that the BRZ has. Grip feels like it's following my commands to the letter like a soldier. Ghost feels like its eager to please and anticipates my steering inputs. Both are excellent aspects to have.

Throttle response. The BRZ's N/A engine is very responsive. Keep it out of the torque valley and the power is there instantly. Even with the tune on Grip, the throttle response is nowhere near as direct. Throttle inputs are soft and I just don't get the feeling that it wants to leap ahead like I get from Ghost. But that's the downfall with turbos and why I don't think turbocharging, no matter how little lag, is not the choice for the BRZ chassis.

Then I put my foot down. HOLY $#!+. I haven't feel that tossed back in my seat for a very long time. While Ghost is responsive and peppy with adequate acceleration, Grip is on a whole other planet. I put my foot down and wound Grip out and it frightened me for a moment because I wasn't ready for it. Driving Ghost has shifted my perceptions some. Is it a bad thing? I don't think so. It makes moments like above in the STI new again and a lot of fun.

So driving Grip after nearly a week only driving Ghost has really put a perspective on things. Ultimately, my STI, "Grip", feel like a weapon compared to the BRZ. It's sharp, precise, and efficient. Kind of like the vehicular equivalent of a rifle. Ghost on the other hand feels more like a martial art. It has flow and form. Responses are more organic and natural feeling.

If you want to stick with weapon analogies, Grip is like a broad sword, and Ghost is like a stiletto. Both will kill a man, but each in a different way.

Do I regret my purchase? Not at all. Ghost is still a lot of fun, and has a lot to teach me as well. It will make a great daily and enjoyable AutoXer.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Draco-REX For This Useful Post:
Anthonytpt (05-02-2013), bedabi (04-26-2014), Dang Lad (06-24-2012), ESBjiujitsu (06-02-2012), fernan2 (06-02-2012), Gaiakai (06-07-2012), kwood9000 (06-14-2012), Partial Stall (06-02-2012), Racecomp Engineering (07-02-2012), Spaceywilly (06-02-2012), stateless (06-04-2012), tCsonfrs (07-14-2013), tripjammer (06-14-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #58
fernan2

Drives: Wrx
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
^^^^^ and this is why im getting an STI
fernan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fernan2 For This Useful Post:
blu_ (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #59
Partial Stall

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Very nice write up. I get the same feelings of distiction when I drive the evo. It will be sold soon, but I drove it recently and it's hard to understand turbo lag until you jump back into a turbo car from NA.
Partial Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #60
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Stall View Post
Very nice write up. I get the same feelings of distiction when I drive the evo. It will be sold soon, but I drove it recently and it's hard to understand turbo lag until you jump back into a turbo car from NA.
As well as transitional response.
Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #61
blu_

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
Just remember its going to be more expensive to own and maintain. and you will get used to the sensation of torque. that said if money was no object I would take an STi. mine was a great car.
blu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #62
Partial Stall

Just bought 2 EX-1011 tips after seeing those pics. Looks much better. 20 bucks each.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:05 PM   #63
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by fernan2 View Post
I think you missed the point. Owning both will let you enjoy both that much more. I'm gonna wait until I see what's coming with the next-gen WRX/STI, and if I don't like it - replace my aging spec.b with a current-gen STI. If I like it - I'll wait for a next-gen one.
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsgerbc For This Useful Post:
blu_ (06-02-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #64
Partial Stall

Just curious how tight did you bolt them? And did you find it hard making both tips even in length? I pretty much put them on as far as they could go in, but the uneven piping on either side made them off just a bit. I think i'll redo do them so they are exactly equal. You can hardly tell at the moment.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #65
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
I think you missed the point. Owning both will let you enjoy both that much more. I'm gonna wait until I see what's coming with the next-gen WRX/STI, and if I don't like it - replace my aging spec.b with a current-gen STI. If I like it - I'll wait for a next-gen one.
Yeah I'm I'm the same boat except I have a 2002 WRX. I was almost tempted away from the BRZ by a really clean 05 STI they had at my dealer today, but then I realized I'd rather have the WRX and BRZ than just an STI. In a few years when the BRZ is paid off I'll get the new WRX/STI to replace my WRX.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 AM   #66
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Stall View Post
Just curious how tight did you bolt them? And did you find it hard making both tips even in length? I pretty much put them on as far as they could go in, but the uneven piping on either side made them off just a bit. I think i'll redo do them so they are exactly equal. You can hardly tell at the moment.
Mine aren't all the way back. I pulled them out just past the bumper, then sighted vertically to kep them as close as possible. The right side one keeps trying to point slightly upwards though, so I think I need to adjust the clamps.

As for tightness I just used a regular socket and got them pretty snug. I didn't want to bend/warp anything.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #67
bmf
KimChi^-^

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I might pick those tips up from your store
Looked great on Friday night

-Kim-
bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #68
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf View Post
I might pick those tips up from your store
Looked great on Friday night

-Kim-
I don't have any at the Sawmill store until the next truck, unless you want 4" tips. The Cemetery RD store has a pair of the 3.75" in stock, everyone else only has a single tip.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:49 AM   #69
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Copied from the tint thread I started:

So the BRZ needed tint. And who am I to deny a reasonable request? I went with 35% all around this time. I usually stay legal, but this time the 90+ degree heat may have had something to do with my decision. :P

There will be a quiz.

Before:

After:

From Inside:

A sun shield makes the interior really dark:

Pop Quiz:

Did you notice something else about the After picture?

Here's a closeup:

EDIT: Forgot to add something the tint installer discovered. The door switches act strangely; just disconnecting them doesn't work. With the door open, press the door switch in to raise the window. Then while holding in the switch, remove the bolt that holds the switch to the chassis. That will disconnect the switch and leave the window up. If you don't hold the button in, the window will stay down. THen you can just use tape to hold the switch in place until the tint is cured.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #70
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Spotted the tinted corner lens right away
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote