follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #29
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86 View Post
same issue, but mostly with 5th gear. With both down-shifting to slow down or to accelerate harder, if i don't make sure that i shove it into 5th gear, than there is a pretty bad grind. Even with the shove, it still does make an unpleasant sound, as well as feeling it through the shifter. This is with rev matching of course.
I was just checking this the other day; resistance on the 4-5 shift at higher RPMs is very high. Enough so, that I was "driving in Mexico" and about to do a quick 4-5, but met with enough resistance that I kept the clutch down and popped it back in 4th to try again.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
Overland'n'5thGEN

Drives: 5th Gen Toyota 4Runner
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I need to pay attention more when driving. I do have the metallic clunk but thought it was normal. Hmmmmm...
Old 06-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #31
Panda Grahams

Drives: '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer86 View Post
same issue, but mostly with 5th gear. With both down-shifting to slow down or to accelerate harder, if i don't make sure that i shove it into 5th gear, than there is a pretty bad grind. Even with the shove, it still does make an unpleasant sound, as well as feeling it through the shifter. This is with rev matching of course.
I have this exact issue from time to time.
Panda Grahams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #32
Gixxer86

Drives: Scion FR-S (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
i took it to the dealership once already, but they just told me that they were unable to replicate the issue and asked if i would take their tech for a ride along. He had already gone home though, so i need to make an apt. to go back. problem is that he has the same work hours that i do

However, since then i have installed the perrin rear-shift bushing and the whiteline positive shift kit. The problem has certainly improved. It doesn't happen EVERY time now, just occasionally. But when it does happen, it is a pretty severe crunch and has even refused to go into 5th. Luckily i keep the clutch in and re-tried from 4th-->5th. hopefully some better transmission oil will help some more.

on a side note: The only negatives i have with the shifter bushing/positive shift kit are that my trans in now pretty noisy when creeping along, such as in a parking lot. Also have a bit of a gear whine noise accelerating through lower RPMs. As to be expected though. And Unfortunately, i put them both in at the same time, so i couldn't tell you how they affect the car separately.
Gixxer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #33
chae

Drives: Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Same here. 5th gear always grind. When your driving highway speed on 6th gear, pop it to neautral and waite until rpm drops and try to put in 5th gear. It will grind 100% of the time. I dont know if this is normal.
chae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #34
swFt86

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I just got my car back from the dealership and they said they couldn't replicate the issue. However, magically, shifting is now smooth as butter. Not sure what they did but on the downside I now have crickets. Didn't have that before taking it to dealer. So one problem seemingly solved only to gain another. *sigh*. F it. I'm just drive this thing and try not to care.
swFt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #35
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Seems likke a lot of people have the same 5th gear problem; is this a normal or something we should all be worried about.. ?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #36
FRS-Jonathan

Drives: 2013 6spd manual Scion FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I'm dropping mine off tomorrow night i get a syncro grind/crunch going from 3-4 WoT under heavy load 5500 rpm and up everytime. I'll let you know what the they tell me hopefull on wednesday
FRS-Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #37
hushypushy
ビーアールゼット

Drives: WRB BRZ '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
That it is fine. It's not fine. Something I want to know is how many people with this issue followed the break in procedure.
Did they actually drive the car and report that either: A. there was no issue or B. the issue is too minor to be considered an issue? Or did they just listen to your story and laugh you out of the service department?

I'm sure your problem is real, because you're not the only one having the exact same issue. I am, and so are other folks on this forum. I say you try a different dealer...don't live with a crunchy tranny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS-Jonathan View Post
I'm dropping mine off tomorrow night i get a syncro grind/crunch going from 3-4 WoT under heavy load 5500 rpm and up everytime. I'll let you know what the they tell me hopefull on wednesday
This is my exact problem too; the higher above 5000RPM, the harder it is to get it cleanly into 4th. At 7000, it's virtually impossible not to grind it.

I've just been super reluctant to take mine in. I don't doubt they'll fix it (I actually work at a sister dealership to Toyota), but it's nice to have the reassurance, so post your experience
hushypushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #38
SubyRS1

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS-One
I'm dissapointed with all the factory defect problems with the BRZ. Glad I have the automatic transmission for now at least ;/

SubyRS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #39
FRS-Jonathan

Drives: 2013 6spd manual Scion FRS
Garage
I call the dealership and they say they could not duplicate the concern, then they say the conditions were hard to meet without speeding. so did they not duplicate it or not actually try to duplicate it? The dealership is not even 5 minutes from a highway. Being a tech I don't understand how hard it is to duplicate a concern that is described as much as I described it. they didn't perform the LOF i asked for because they said it was too early... I told them that's why I asked for it and said I would pay. So the only thing they did was order a fuel filter for my crickets. So now I have another appointment at another dealership. I hope I get a survey for the first dealer so I can destroy their CSI
FRS-Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #40
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yruyur View Post
Don't know. 4th was grinding out loud. They were prepared to charge me for a new transmission if they found my clutch was burnt. It was not. Toyota corporate had them replace clutch flywheel and tranny.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Nice. my clutch has been making noise for a long time now and the trans also likes to grind at times (and yes I do know how to drive a manual, clutch will be all the way in and not trying to speed shift). It's done that since new more or less. :shrug: I'll just deal with all of these things at 30k.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #41
Jar

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by swFt86 View Post
I'm also having this issue. A noticeable amount of resistance shifting from 1st to 2nd. However, no weird sounds or resistance on any other gears. Not sure what the deal is...
I had this issue as well as getting easily kicked out of those gears (if I gave the shifter a light touch it would easily boot me out). I took it into Big Two Toyota for the issue and they essentially told me to go fuck myself.

It's one of the reasons I got rid of the car. I probably should have went through the lemon process just to be vindictive.
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote