follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2015, 11:12 AM   #15
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
I just got this same CEL on my 2013 on friday 11/27/15. Was picking up the GF for date night then bam, CEL... We took the car back and then decided to take her car instead. Once, after we got home, I checked the CEL with the OBDII scanner and it happened to be P0018 code. I haven't driven the FR-S since. Taking it in to the dealership tomorrow with high hopes of this being fixed. Picked a "mod friendly" dealership. A friend of mine has his whole trans replaced under warranty there and he's OFT, E85, full exhaust, etc. All I have is overpipe-back exhaust.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:12 AM   #16
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I just got this same CEL on my 2013 on friday 11/27/15. Was picking up the GF for date night then bam, CEL... We took the car back and then decided to take her car instead. Once, after we got home, I checked the CEL with the OBDII scanner and it happened to be P0018 code. I haven't driven the FR-S since. Taking it in to the dealership tomorrow with high hopes of this being fixed. Picked a "mod friendly" dealership. A friend of mine has his whole trans replaced under warranty there and he's OFT, E85, full exhaust, etc. All I have is overpipe-back exhaust.

Keep us posted, I'm still curious to learn about this because from what I can tell of all the awful engine issues our cars had, very few of us actually had P0018.

Good luck and don't lose too much sleep over it!

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #17
Zacharary

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Had the traction light pop on in my 2013 when I brought it in for an engine rattle going on 5 days ago. My engine had started getting a strange rattle in the 2500-3000 rpm range, took the service writer on a drive to hear the sound (which, magically, hasn't happened again since I took it in) and engine light popped up with stability/traction light. They got a code for a cam problem. Last time I spoke with the service guy he said they were probably going to have to wait for Toyota to send someone out to access it. I have an intake and full exhaust on the car, with cats. Been waiting it out. This info may be helpful when I inevitably go back.
Zacharary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #18
Astroboy

Drives: None
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharary View Post
Had the traction light pop on in my 2013 when I brought it in for an engine rattle going on 5 days ago. My engine had started getting a strange rattle in the 2500-3000 rpm range, took the service writer on a drive to hear the sound (which, magically, hasn't happened again since I took it in) and engine light popped up with stability/traction light. They got a code for a cam problem. Last time I spoke with the service guy he said they were probably going to have to wait for Toyota to send someone out to access it. I have an intake and full exhaust on the car, with cats. Been waiting it out. This info may be helpful when I inevitably go back.
What was the code?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Astroboy For This Useful Post:
Zacharary (03-05-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #19
JoeCFRS

Drives: 2013 Firestorm red FRS manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Name:  IMG_2194.JPG.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  445.7 KB

Ive been having the same issue. Last week i got a cel with traction light with the code p0016. For those of you still having issues after getting your ecu replaced it could be faulty cam timing gear.

Attached is the image of mine. Its been replaced along with the ECU and i should get my car back today. I will post more when i get the car back to let you know if its been fixed.
JoeCFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCFRS For This Useful Post:
MisterSheep (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #20
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCFRS View Post
Attachment 129602

Ive been having the same issue. Last week i got a cel with traction light with the code p0016. For those of you still having issues after getting your ecu replaced it could be faulty cam timing gear.

Attached is the image of mine. Its been replaced along with the ECU and i should get my car back today. I will post more when i get the car back to let you know if its been fixed.
I had a intake cam gear replaced and ecu replaced. Its been maybe a thousand or so miles and the CEL hasnt come back.
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #21
Astroboy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCFRS View Post
Attachment 129602

We're you intake valve angles not identical? I'm starting to think mine might be a cam gear as well

Old 01-21-2016, 05:08 PM   #22
JoeCFRS

Drives: 2013 Firestorm red FRS manual
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
We're you intake valve angles not identical? I'm starting to think mine might be a cam gear as well

Not really sure what that means. But i had the intake cam gear and the ecu replaced. All seems good so far.
JoeCFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #23
Astroboy

Garage
Shit I hate this code! I replaced my ecu and flashed my custom tune for my avo kit into the ecu. 70 miles later, everything is good and all readiness monitors are complete, until both my TCL and CEL come on again... I read the code and got p0172, system to rich in bank 1. I'm so confused now, so I just cleaned the MAF sensor with a MAF sensor cleaner and reset the code. If it pops back on again, I am going to lose it!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #24
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
You really think they were squawk at at over pipe or new mufflers? I doubt it. Most won't even look or even know the difference. I don't have any mods but when I do I too hope they are forgiving, like FORD was. If you had a GT or Cobra they were all over you for more mods, they'd want you to buy this and that and this and that. They would also tune the cars. Of course I have an extended warranty so they may tell me to go to hell anyway lol

Good luck with your lights!
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:06 PM   #25
Zacharary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroboy View Post
What was the code?

P0016 and P0018. Got the car back at the end of January and so far so good. It was at the dealership about a month. I'd post a picture of the invoice but I don't know how to edit it down to size. Looks like it took about 26 parts.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:09 PM   #26
Astroboy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zacharary View Post
P0016 and P0018. Got the car back at the end of January and so far so good. It was at the dealership about a month. I'd post a picture of the invoice but I don't know how to edit it down to size. Looks like it took about 26 parts.
What did they do to it? I'm not under warranty no more but had toyota swap out my ecu. So far, so far so good. No codes popped up in 500 miles. I am worried because when I had toyota diagnose it, my intake cam angles were far from identical with each other. My code hasn't came back on, but I do plan on going back to toyota to see if my intake cams are identical.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #27
Zacharary

Garage
[QUOTE=Astroboy;2570566]What did they do to it? I'm not under warranty no more but had toyota swap out my ecu. So far, so far so good. No codes popped up in 500 miles. I am worried because when I had toyota diagnose it, my intake cam angles were far from identical with each other. My code hasn't came back on, but I do plan on going back to toyota to see if my intake cams are identical.

Says "Intake and exhaust cam gears will not lock in neutral position, internal failure. Replace cam gears for intake and exhaust. Replaced chain cover, o-rings, ring back-ups, oil seal, more o-rings, timing chain, all intake and exhaust spkt (sprocket?), EGI control unit, gaskets, oil filter and oil, and whatever GT super LLC blue is.
Old 03-11-2016, 02:45 AM   #28
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
Keep us posted, I'm still curious to learn about this because from what I can tell of all the awful engine issues our cars had, very few of us actually had P0018.

Good luck and don't lose too much sleep over it!

Less than 1,000 miles later, my car went down last Saturday after just getting new tires on. New code is P000B.

Not losing sleep. This car was absolutely perfect for my driving style. I will never find anything better for that. But I genuinely distrust this car. No more subarus for me if soa can't stand up for me here and make this right.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote