follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 05-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #1
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 WRX (sold) 2013 brz
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
transmission grind in 5th gear

Hi guys I am having an issue with 5th gear grinding. My car has several transmission modifications. Fluid change, short shifter, bushing, aftermarket clutch. Does anyone have any further information on this issue? and yes, I'm aware of the other thread regarding 5th gear.

Thank You in advance!
Rocket.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #2
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket.BRZ View Post
Hi guys I am having an issue with 5th gear grinding. My car has several transmission modifications. Fluid change, short shifter, bushing, aftermarket clutch. Does anyone have any further information on this issue? and yes, I'm aware of the other thread regarding 5th gear.

Thank You in advance!
Switching out the fluid to potosin mtf today. Hopefully this fixes the issue.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:45 PM   #3
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Quote:
Just swapped my fluid over with pentosin and half a bottle of lucas transmission fix. No more grinding in 5th gear and its pretty smooth compared to before. I will update this post when I get some miles on it.
OK the grind is back. I wonder if the Lucas transmission fix has something to do with that

Does anybody have some suggestions? Maybe switch to Redline?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
treystarks

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are you still in warranty?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
treystarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:18 AM   #5
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
OK the grind is back. I wonder if the Lucas transmission fix has something to do with that

Does anybody have some suggestions? Maybe switch to Redline?

I'm going to go out on the limb and say everyone has this problem. I assume you are talking about when downshifting or upshifting into fifth at relatively high speeds (65-70). Some people have gotten a whole new transmission but in the end I am sure the problem won't go away. Just shift slower into fifth gear, that's the way I learned from it. I swapped from Pentosin Transmission fluid and Motul differential and honestly I don't remember if it helped but it definitely doesn't go away.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to l0aded For This Useful Post:
Rocket.BRZ (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:35 AM   #6
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
I'm going to go out on the limb and say everyone has this problem. I assume you are talking about when downshifting or upshifting into fifth at relatively high speeds (65-70). Some people have gotten a whole new transmission but in the end I am sure the problem won't go away. Just shift slower into fifth gear, that's the way I learned from it. I swapped from Pentosin Transmission fluid and Motul differential and honestly I don't remember if it helped but it definitely doesn't go away.
Yea I have seen improvement with the pentosin and I have learned to be very gently sliding into 5th gear. The rest I like be a bit rough but she must be a special gear
Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
_j_anthony
Daily Driven Expert

Drives: FR-S Monogram(BLACK)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
not 5th but 2nd gear

I had grinding with my second gear while my foot was on the clutch, happened twice in the first 400 miles. I'm at 1,260 and haven't had an issue recently.
_j_anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #8
Rocket.BRZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperz View Post
FREE STUFF!

Purchased a new car? Want to make it faster, stronger and better? Contact us for free performance parts for your new vehicle. We will take care of the engineering of the parts to make your car fast! We like to stay ahead of the curve when it comes to new performance opportunities for new late model vehicles. If we choose your car as the 'test mule' for our new performance products, all parts will be designed and installed with a full warranty for FREE! We have the equipment, engineering skill, and connections to make any part for any vehicle and any application. Anything from turbo to exhaust to transmission to engine modification. With our equipment and talented people, you can have some of the nicest parts in the industry for $0. The reason for this is we would like to offer more performance oriented parts for new late model vehicles built by us. If we build the prototypes for you at no charge, it will benefit all of us! Don't pass up on this rare opportunity!

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/
still looking for a test car?

Tags
transmission, transmission grinding