follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #1
SUSPECT_BRZ
Senior Member
 
SUSPECT_BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 210
Thanks: 63
Thanked 137 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Regarding 2017+ Battery

So today I stored my vehicle for the winter. It seems the battery is a little trickier to remove in the recent models vs the pre-2017 ones. There is some sort of black plastic cap clipped unto the front battery tie-down. I found one video online saying to just turn it counterclockwise with a socket but mine seemed to turn but not come off. I tried to pry it off a little as well but no success. I ended up just loosening the back battery tie down and the whole thing just came off.

One concern I had was how the battery wires and cover were pinched from factory with the plastic tie wrap...is that normal? Here is picture illustrating the issue. Let me know what you think.


Last edited by SUSPECT_BRZ; 11-21-2020 at 03:58 PM.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #2
Gloonge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2013 frs raven
Location: W.P.B - Florida
Posts: 215
Thanks: 5
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
So today I stored my vehicle for the winter. It seems the battery is a little trickier to remove in the recent models vs the pre-2017 ones. There is some sort of black plastic cap clipped unto the front battery tie-down. I found one video online saying to just turn it counterclockwise with a socket but mine seemed to turn but not come off. I tried to pry it off a little as well but no success. I ended up just loosening the back battery tie down and the whole thing just came off.

One concern I had was how the battery wires and cover were pinched from factory with the plastic tie wrap...is that normal? Here is picture illustrating the issue. Let me know what you think.

Just pry that off with a screw driver. It's just to hold those wires in place.

Also that cable tie can not hurt a cable what you are seeing squished is called conduit. It is of no concern.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gloonge For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (11-22-2020), Tcoat (11-21-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 09:53 AM   #3
SUSPECT_BRZ
Senior Member
 
SUSPECT_BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 210
Thanks: 63
Thanked 137 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get some new wire loom today, cut the tie wrap carefully and redo the looming. I'll then tape both wires together so they stay in place. Removing the battery will be easier that way in the future.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
DarkPira7e
No, my car doesn't run
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,071
Thanks: 2,239
Thanked 2,843 Times in 1,484 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can confirm, you just need to give it a yoink. It's stronger than you'd expect, don't be worried.

They do this to try and keep the nut from rusting, but foolishly; it's the threads UNDER the bracket that get weak and break off (not on this car, but in general with this style battery hold down)
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
SUSPECT_BRZ
Senior Member
 
SUSPECT_BRZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 210
Thanks: 63
Thanked 137 Times in 68 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I can confirm, you just need to give it a yoink. It's stronger than you'd expect, don't be worried.

They do this to try and keep the nut from rusting, but foolishly; it's the threads UNDER the bracket that get weak and break off (not on this car, but in general with this style battery hold down)
I always worry when it comes to those damn plastic pins, they seem so fragile. I solved the issue and removed the cap completely from the setup. I will just apply some grease to the metal parts once I put it back in place next spring.

Here is what it looks like now :

SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUSPECT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (11-22-2020)
Old 11-28-2020, 07:32 AM   #6
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 470
Thanks: 11
Thanked 338 Times in 203 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm going to get some new wire loom today, cut the tie wrap carefully and redo the looming. I'll then tape both wires together so they stay in place. Removing the battery will be easier that way in the future.
No, don't bother. This isn't a problem that requires that level of effort. This isn't even a problem, it doesn't even require any effort.

That's not a garden hose, being squeezed by a zip tie doesn't restrict it's function, the black nub just need a slight tug while you unscrew it, it comes of easily, it's made to get pushed on and unscrewed off, so if you even slightly push down on it while unscrewing it'll just spin in place.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about tune and dead battery JR23 Software Tuning 2 06-16-2020 10:45 AM
2017+ Battery Terminal Sensors And Power Amp Connections LimitedSlip Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 5 02-11-2019 10:57 PM
aftermarket AGM battery mounting question CB390248 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 0 01-23-2017 06:51 PM
Light Wight Battery Question 8686 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 22 10-22-2013 11:13 AM
Amplifier battery wire question!?!? mbh1101 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 4 03-04-2013 09:07 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.