follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-24-2020, 01:27 AM   #15
ClevelandFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
I know with my car, I noticed it when I bought the car, and after 4 years they were probably there but I didn't hear them anymore. AT this point, I have to ask myself " what's the big deal?" After owning an 88 Bronco, this car throwing a rod bearing barely sounded out of the norm. At least the power steering pump isn't groaning when you look at the steering wheel
Did you buy new? Or, have you driven one that was new and fresh with this chirp? It is absurdly loud sometimes. I can hear it on the road with the windows up and radio on, its a total embarassment to go through a drive through, or a car meet and have everyone turn their heads in a negative manner toward your FRS/BRZ/86. I guess some people don't have it as bad? I've had a few peers buy a brand new one, also had experienced a new engine swap, and the chirp before on the used engine was far, far less than the new.

This is an annoying issue, I agree, but thankfully, not a mechanically destructive one. Nonethanol helped a ton.
ClevelandFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:23 AM   #16
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandFRS View Post
Did you buy new? Or, have you driven one that was new and fresh with this chirp? It is absurdly loud sometimes. I can hear it on the road with the windows up and radio on, its a total embarassment to go through a drive through, or a car meet and have everyone turn their heads in a negative manner toward your FRS/BRZ/86. I guess some people don't have it as bad? I've had a few peers buy a brand new one, also had experienced a new engine swap, and the chirp before on the used engine was far, far less than the new.

This is an annoying issue, I agree, but thankfully, not a mechanically destructive one. Nonethanol helped a ton.
I have a friend who bought a 2017 new, his weren't terrible but are louder than mine were. We also have 93 here rather than 91.
Maybe it's the demographic where I live, but I don't think anyone would notice the crickets. So many people drive shitbox cars here with screeching serpentine belts, exhaust leaks, humongous melon launcher exhaust, etc. Nobody would really pay any mind to the crickets. You should only hear it when the car is idling or driving very slowly in traffic anyway, yeah?

I can only go by what I know, but if you're going to a meet and everyone is craning their heads and reacting negatively towards your car idling, they sound like a group I wouldn't want to hang around.
As far as the general public is concerned, most people don't know anything about what a car can/should sound like, so anything out of the normal is strange. They could just as easily be assuming that your car has 800 horsepower because it's making a noise. If someone asks you can be confident and say something like " This car has two fuel systems, so it makes some extra noises as a result" and let them speculate how badass your fast and furious " fuel system" must be, as they hand you your 2 double cheeseburgers and fries.

I'm not trying to throw shade, I'm trying to give a different perspective. I've had people ride in a turbo car of mine and ask why the roads were wet - they thought the BOV was the car running over puddles.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:59 AM   #17
chipmunk

Drives: _
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I read somewhere that adding upper cylinder lubricants (gumout, lucas, etc.) to gas helped the chirping go away for some. I'm not sure if they could cause any unintended issues elsewhere though.

However, my wife never noticed the chirping, so I don't care either
chipmunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:54 AM   #18
ClevelandFRS

No this isn't the case for me, I hear it on the Highway. I did not drive my car much in the last year, I have less than 5,000 miles on it.

I bought it with 77,000 on it and the engine was replaced at 77,000 by the dealership. The car was immaculate and like new everywhere. The chirps never stopped.

Highway, parked, idle, slow, 35, 50, doesn't matter. Chirps constantly and sounds like a cricket party even with my windows rolled up and I can still hear it with some low music on too. It is a total embarrassment sometimes. But, I love the car despite that. It's so perfect for me.

I know this is stupid, but I play Pokemon Go a lot in residential areas and now that curfews are lifted, I usually play at night and into the morning sunrise hours. I cannot sit near homes or apartments with this chirping sound. Anyone nearby with an open window is going to be annoyed and I already got a complaint.

I know that is silly, but it really is annoying as hell to other people near by, especially when I am at the park, just sitting there listening to music and playing Pogo. Anyone near by just hears the crickets.

I've used every single gas station and fuel type in a 20 mile radius over the last year of me owning it. Nothing cured it. But then again, my engine is hardly 5,000 miles so far. I'm told some people had a cure at 80,000? Ugh, well, that won't be achieved for some time.

This is a problem for me, because I attended a car meet last year before covid hit and man, I got slammed for the cricket sound. That was an emotional hit for me.

Quote:
I have a friend who bought a 2017 new, his weren't terrible but are louder than mine were. We also have 93 here rather than 91.
Maybe it's the demographic where I live, but I don't think anyone would notice the crickets. So many people drive shitbox cars here with screeching serpentine belts, exhaust leaks, humongous melon launcher exhaust, etc. Nobody would really pay any mind to the crickets. You should only hear it when the car is idling or driving very slowly in traffic anyway, yeah?

I can only go by what I know, but if you're going to a meet and everyone is craning their heads and reacting negatively towards your car idling, they sound like a group I wouldn't want to hang around.
As far as the general public is concerned, most people don't know anything about what a car can/should sound like, so anything out of the normal is strange. They could just as easily be assuming that your car has 800 horsepower because it's making a noise. If someone asks you can be confident and say something like " This car has two fuel systems, so it makes some extra noises as a result" and let them speculate how badass your fast and furious " fuel system" must be, as they hand you your 2 double cheeseburgers and fries.

I'm not trying to throw shade, I'm trying to give a different perspective. I've had people ride in a turbo car of mine and ask why the roads were wet - they thought the BOV was the car running over puddles.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
No this isn't the case for me, I hear it on the Highway. I did not drive my car much in the last year, I have less than 5,000 miles on it.

I bought it with 77,000 on it and the engine was replaced at 77,000 by the dealership. The car was immaculate and like new everywhere. The chirps never stopped.

Highway, parked, idle, slow, 35, 50, doesn't matter. Chirps constantly and sounds like a cricket party even with my windows rolled up and I can still hear it with some low music on too. It is a total embarrassment sometimes. But, I love the car despite that. It's so perfect for me.

I know this is stupid, but I play Pokemon Go a lot in residential areas and now that curfews are lifted, I usually play at night and into the morning sunrise hours. I cannot sit near homes or apartments with this chirping sound. Anyone nearby with an open window is going to be annoyed and I already got a complaint.

I know that is silly, but it really is annoying as hell to other people near by, especially when I am at the park, just sitting there listening to music and playing Pogo. Anyone near by just hears the crickets.

I've used every single gas station and fuel type in a 20 mile radius over the last year of me owning it. Nothing cured it. But then again, my engine is hardly 5,000 miles so far. I'm told some people had a cure at 80,000? Ugh, well, that won't be achieved for some time.

This is a problem for me, because I attended a car meet last year before covid hit and man, I got slammed for the cricket sound. That was an emotional hit for me.

There is no aftermarket option for the high pressure fuel pump. You can try another OEM one and that’s about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ultramaroon (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:12 AM   #20
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
As a fellow Pokemon Go-er, I can understand. With that said, stop idling and turn the car off. Walking is the point of the game. I've been level 40 for over a 2 years and I live in the sticks- I get near somewhere that is viable to walk, park the car, and play for a few hours on foot.

This car isn't quiet. The only suggestion I have is to get a different car if the noise is embarrassing for you. No sense in owning a car you don't enjoy. Not judging you for having an annoyance with the car, but there's not a good way to fix it.
Or engine swap, I suppose that's an option
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 09:28 AM   #21
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you really really want to spend some cash to fix it there was about a 70% success rate with the new pump reported on here.
This would be with the 3rd or 4th updated pump part number.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1501018592
Dadhawk (03-23-2021), Ultramaroon (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:05 PM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Fun fact: The part that chirps is functionally a BOV for the HPFP. It's not the pump itself.
Old 03-23-2021, 12:09 PM   #23
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Fun fact: The part that chirps is functionally a BOV for the HPFP. It's not the pump itself.
Interesting, so it has a pressure relief valve of sorts? I figured you were just hearing a pulse cycle
Old 03-23-2021, 12:12 PM   #24
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I was wondering if that was the case. I have one that I was going to disassemble, it is sitting next to that front hub I was going to disassemble and see what the failure mode was a while back
Ultramaroon (03-23-2021)
Old 03-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #25
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Interesting, so it has a pressure relief valve of sorts? I figured you were just hearing a pulse cycle
There is a relief valve but the main doohicky is the spill control valve, which regulates rail pressure with some tricky timing.

FA20 FUEL: FUEL SYSTEM: DETAILS; 2013 MY FR-S [03/2012 - ]

edit: ok, maybe not exactly BOV, but... The valve is normally open and the injector driver sends a signal to the solenoid to close it earlier or later in the pump compression cycle depending on how much fuel should be delivered to the rail. The ringing happens as the valve is being closed and fuel rushes through it. Or, now that I look again, maybe it's the check valve when just a bit of fuel is being delivered. Grrr... I've been living a lie. Thought I had the details locked down.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 03-23-2021 at 12:57 PM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (03-23-2021), RToyo86 (03-23-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #26
ClevelandFRS

Quote:
As a fellow Pokemon Go-er, I can understand. With that said, stop idling and turn the car off. Walking is the point of the game. I've been level 40 for over a 2 years and I live in the sticks- I get near somewhere that is viable to walk, park the car, and play for a few hours on foot.

This car isn't quiet. The only suggestion I have is to get a different car if the noise is embarrassing for you. No sense in owning a car you don't enjoy. Not judging you for having an annoyance with the car, but there's not a good way to fix it.
Or engine swap, I suppose that's an option
I love my FRS way too much to get rid of it. Everyone else can go to hell for all I care if they don't like the sound. Haha. But, I do not want to get noise complaints in the morning so it just means I can't stop in the places I usually did/do. There are of course lots of other empty places that have spin locations and gyms, but the sad reality is that the places I play have lots of stops in one small location and its great to be able to just sit and park, listen to music and spin to fill the bag for an hour or so.

But, not a chance I am getting rid of the FRS, I love the car way too much. I am just concerned about the chirps. It's a minor gripe for me, but it seems its not a minor gripe for those around me when I park usually where I do. Just gotta find a new place now >.>
Old 03-24-2021, 05:16 AM   #27
ClevelandFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If you really really want to spend some cash to fix it there was about a 70% success rate with the new pump reported on here.
This would be with the 3rd or 4th updated pump part number.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1501018592
Your link sends us back to this same page we are typing on here. Can you repost this with a working link when you get a moment? ty
Old 03-24-2021, 05:19 AM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Your link sends us back to this same page we are typing on here. Can you repost this with a working link when you get a moment? ty
well how the hell did I manage that.
OK It wasn't me! There is something wrong with the link

Let's try this S-SB-0007-16 found here:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868