follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #1
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Keeping track of DIY Maintenance Records

So this actually just came to me in light of what is happening to one of my coworker's STi. For context, something happened to the engine bearings of his 2015 STi, which now triggered a complete engine replacement. This, apparently, due to a lawsuit/recall similar to the Valve Spring. But now the dealership wants to pin it on him for vehicle "negligence" and he needs to provide service records, he can't provide that because like many of us I'm sure, he does his own maintenance.

Now, and I'm not sure if anyone shares this sentiment with me; The reason why I got this car was to learn as much as I could about tunes, bolt-ons, and all sorts of modifications. That together with the purchase of a house where I could service the vehicle myself, and further expand my knowledge.

This situation now has me thinking about what if I run into that same situation, how do I prove not only to a dealership, but to a potential future buyer, that my car has been well taken care of. What I can think out of the top my head is to keep receipts for oil or part purchases, which I already do. All my parts are bought online with an account on such websites which lets me see a history of past purchases. I could also create an Excel Spreadsheet to document miles between each service and what not. I could also use some more pointers.

Bottom line, why would any enthusiast spend hundreds more to bring a vehicle to a "reputable" shop when we can do the work ourselves. Sure, some jobs require special tools/knowledge and I won't push my lack of experience, which would make me seek someone more experienced. But for things like oil, belt, brakes, performance (Bolt ons), etc, I trust a considerable amount of research and basic automotive knowledge be enough to do it myself, which I like to do. The downside is that you can't prove it, and there's no official record (I.e Carfax).

What is the best way to go about this?
humfrz (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,976 Times in 2,195 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I keep a separate plastic accordion folder for each vehicle.
All receipts for oil and filters get the mileage and date written directly on each and go in the folder.
Also anything else associated with it go there too.
WeatherTech warranty cards, Perrin stuff, repair invoices and some stickers too.

I don't go so far as saving gas tickets though.

Folder goes along with the vehicle when I sell it eventually.
Buyers have noted that it's a plus when I hand it off.
The Following User Says Thank You to bcj For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (12-21-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 09:32 PM   #3
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
The downside is that you can't prove it, and there's no official record (I.e Carfax).

What is the best way to go about this?
I would suggest that you keep a ledger (hard bound) for each vehicle. When you do routine maintenance work on the car, note in the ledger, the date you did the work, mileage and what you did. Include receipts for parts and fluids you purchased in the ledger.

How's that for being old fashioned? -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-05-2021), Ganthrithor (12-23-2020), meWant (01-08-2021), new2subaru (12-23-2020), spcmafia (12-21-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
What's been posted here by @humfrz is probably the best bet but that won't perfectly insulate you from a dealer rejecting warranty claims. It's pretty easy for them to suggest that you must have made a mistake in performing your last oil change and then rejecting coverage. Hell, there have been cases of people on this forum who report that their motor blew from oil starvation issues that the dealer would not cover, despite the dealer *themselves* performing all maintenance on schedule. In general, it seems getting catastrophic engine failure covered under warranty is difficult in the best of cases.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-20-2020), spcmafia (12-21-2020), Wally86 (01-05-2021)
Old 12-20-2020, 08:21 PM   #5
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Subaru has the data on the failures and can likely determine if yours is typical or an anomaly. Then they will start looking for excuses to void the warranty. You are free to sue them, but you should get a second car because it may take awhile. So many bad stories in the past. I heard once a guy was gonna get his motor replaced , but the dealer found his time ticket from the drag strip in his car and they did not warranty it. I believe he fought it and got something. I write everything in a little book, but that’s for me. Only keep receipts from the dealer and a mechanic, nothing that I do myself. I am out of warranty now so it does not matter anymore.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (12-21-2020)
Old 12-21-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
You can download the carfax app and add photos of the receipts for service parts, etc. and mark the date/mileage/etc. Not for everyone but it's an option.
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatYeti For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (01-04-2021)
Old 12-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If you wanna get real autistic about it, basically what humfrz was saying: make a logbook. In aviation, we record things like:

- Date
- Mileage
- Description of work performed
- Description of reference materials used or procedures followed
- Part numbers / quantities for components used
- Serial numbers for any serialized components
- Any kind of inspection result that might be relevant (for example: compression numbers for each cylinder when a compression check is performed, or the results of your used oil analyses after each oil change, or even simple visual inspection results-- CV boots not torn or that kind of thing)
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ganthrithor For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-05-2021), Lonewolf (12-28-2020), spcmafia (01-04-2021)
Old 12-24-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
e_lunatic

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I'm one of those people that got so tired of not remembering when the last time I did something was and just winging it or tried to remember the next time I did a service I needed to look at X, Y, Z that I made myself an excel sheet that I printed several copies of to keep in my file cabinet.

I don't keep every receipts as others have said they do but if you are very concerned about a warranty or re-sale it could be worth it to do that.

basically its just a date, which vehicle i'm working on, the mileage, and a checklist along with comments and such. I made the run down with a lot of space for notes for future upgrades, if i find something i want to keep an eye on, something that is getting to a point that needs to be serviced or replaced, and when i start my next maintenance run i refer back to the previous sheet to make sure i'm not forgetting to look at anything.
Major repairs done by myself or a shop I keep those receipts.
If i sell the car and hand them a stack of papers with all the maintenance and repairs i have done and they think i just made it all up because i don't have the oil filter receipts then oh well for them.
e_lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e_lunatic For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (01-04-2021)
Old 12-24-2020, 02:04 PM   #9
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
I also made a spreadsheet for myself including all the intervals of fluid chance and the recommended maintenance. I keep the receipt for every purchase and scan them into a file on my computer with the date and time. Since it's a summer vehicle for me, this has worked great as I only do an oil change per season.
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SUSPECT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (01-04-2021)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
Lonewolf

Drives: Moped
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,193 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I've seen these issues play out in litigation a few times. As others have said, but also a few other points:

1) Keep clear receipts (also be sure to make clear copies of the receipts before the ink fades on those Autozone or O'Reily receipts!) of all purchased tools/equipment/fluids/filters.

2) Keep a detailed log of your maintenance/services performed with:

Full date/Brief, but clear description of services performed/Your current mileage/Mileage of factory recommended interval for relevant service

3) Be certain that you can properly and accurately describe the steps/procedures you used and that they were in accordance with published oem service or owner manuals or industry standard protocols (correct torque specs, new drain plug washer as required, etc.). Being able to do the above can be helpful when it comes to drafting a statement of facts, signing off on affidavits or when being deposed.

*4) Something not necessary, but sometimes helpful are time and date-stamped photos/videos of before/after service conditions (filters, dipstick readings, etc.) Though the date/time stamp may be manipulated or incorrect on some devices, it is just another way of establishing or supporting the facts or chain of events. ***This is also labor intensive, but some people would rather be safe than sorry when it comes to expensive warranty repairs that dealers and manufacturers attempt to fight.
Lonewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lonewolf For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (01-05-2021), spcmafia (01-04-2021)
Old 01-03-2021, 07:00 PM   #11
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
I don't keep receipts of consumables like oil and such. I just make the maintenance schedule into an excel sheet for each car and tick off what I did and when. Other people can either believe me or not.

I keep receipts for work done by others though.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-05-2021), spcmafia (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #12
Matt93SE

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2017 BRZ
I used to use an app on my phone that logged all of that stuff. unfortunately I used the free version of the app and the data was not backed up anywhere. (paid version did their own cloud storage). All the data was lost when my phone died a crunchy shattered death and I couldn't recover any files from it.
Since then, I simply use a "notepad" style app on my phone with a separate file for each vehicle. I note the date, mileage, work performed/ parts changed, any anomalies found (car required oil top-up between changes, brake pad thickness to prepare for next service, etc).

That file is backed up to phone cloud storage and I can download to my PC or another phone, etc. so it doesn't get lost.

Any receipts for major parts or work go into a simple manilla folder in my file cabinet at the house. I don't waste time with wiper blades and oil, since anyone can buy oil for any car at any time. (I have 3 street cars, 2 race cars, and a fleet of power toys/tools that use oil & filters, so I buy lubricants by the case when it's on sale...)

Remember that it's on the dealer to provide proof that your work, lack thereof, or specific modification of the vehicle caused the problem in which they are denying warranty. (Magnusson-Moss act)
i.e. because you installed a new stereo doesn't mean they can deny repair of a bad alternator or that new shocks caused a clutch problem.

in the case of engine warranties and oil changes/consumption, some REAL good insurance for you is to also pull a sample of the oil at each change and send it to Blackstone labs- or other reputable company- for an analysis. their forms contain a ton of information on them- vehicle, VIN, mileage, dates, oil change interval, health of oil & engine, etc etc etc.

Keep those with your oil change maintenance logs and you should be golden if there's ever an issue. Those oil reports can warn of high engine wear or poor oil conditions based on the analysis, and can go a long way toward "the dealer said I didn't change my oil and now my engine isn't warrantied".

a lot of that is 101 level stuff for many, but may be new news for some. hope it helps.
Matt93SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #13
ninjan00dles

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
If you wanna get real autistic about it, basically what humfrz was saying: make a logbook. In aviation, we record things like:

- Date
- Mileage
- Description of work performed
- Description of reference materials used or procedures followed
- Part numbers / quantities for components used
- Serial numbers for any serialized components
- Any kind of inspection result that might be relevant (for example: compression numbers for each cylinder when a compression check is performed, or the results of your used oil analyses after each oil change, or even simple visual inspection results-- CV boots not torn or that kind of thing)
AFTO Form 781H

https://www.templateroller.com/templ...intenance.html

You can put ninjan00dles down for your ER signoffs
ninjan00dles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ninjan00dles For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 02:06 AM   #14
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjan00dles View Post
AFTO Form 781H

https://www.templateroller.com/templ...intenance.html

You can put ninjan00dles down for your ER signoffs
Can I get you to do my safety-wiring though?
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote