follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #1
platinumEX
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Drives: '13 BRZ
Location: OH-IO
Posts: 17
Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
how to tell if car was previously tuned for E85??

I bought a BRZ from an insurance auction a few weeks ago. Pretty excited about it. It did come with a few mods already - Tein coilovers, TRD exhaust, header, RPF1s...

A couple times when starting it in cooler weather it took a couple times cranking and sputtering before it would run, which made me wonder if the old owner had it tuned for and was running E85. It was a theft recovery and purchased from an auction - I have no idea who the previous owner was or how to find them. I've only driven it around the block a couple times at this point. Seems to run great when started and pulls harder than I remember my old FR-S but it's been a little while, so it could be wishful thinking.

Is there an easy way to tell if it was tuned for E85?

I have a VAGII tool for my wife's Audi, which also reads generic OBDII codes but not sure what else it could do on non-Audi.
platinumEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
Gloonge
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Drives: 2013 frs raven
Location: W.P.B - Florida
Posts: 214
Thanks: 5
Thanked 51 Times in 38 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I imagine you would need either a tactrix, ecutek or oft to read the ecu programming.

Or the Toyota computer, can't remember the name of it.
Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
Sapphireho
From a different mould
 
Sapphireho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: '15 JRSC twin, '06 Exige, '77 911s
Location: Private Idaho
Posts: 9,971
Thanks: 4,325
Thanked 12,088 Times in 6,134 Posts
Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You have a header, so if it were me, I'd find a tuner to look at it.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
FR-S2GT86
"I don't know."
 
FR-S2GT86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: '15 FR-S
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 669
Thanks: 79
Thanked 408 Times in 263 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you live near the southern border of OH-IO, by WV and KY, I may be able to help you out.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
My pubes are shaped like the number 86. There for Iím car. Derp
Count to muffens and call again.
Iím 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
platinumEX
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Drives: '13 BRZ
Location: OH-IO
Posts: 17
Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 View Post
If you live near the southern border of OH-IO, by WV and KY, I may be able to help you out.
I'm in Columbus but once it's road-ready I'd be willing to drive that way. Thanks man.
platinumEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
FR-S2GT86
"I don't know."
 
FR-S2GT86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Drives: '15 FR-S
Location: West Virginia, USA
Posts: 669
Thanks: 79
Thanked 408 Times in 263 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No problem. PM me if you need to set up a meeting. Maybe we can meet halfway. I've got another owner close by me that I've offered my EcuTek ProECU hardware and software if he decides he needs it.

Always willing to help.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
My pubes are shaped like the number 86. There for Iím car. Derp
Count to muffens and call again.
Iím 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-S2GT86 For This Useful Post:
ddevl_86 (11-16-2020)
Old 11-17-2020, 12:20 AM   #7
Turdinator
SeŮor Member
 
Turdinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,563
Thanks: 1,028
Thanked 673 Times in 428 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumEX View Post
I bought a BRZ from an insurance auction a few weeks ago. Pretty excited about it. It did come with a few mods already - Tein coilovers, TRD exhaust, header, RPF1s...

A couple times when starting it in cooler weather it took a couple times cranking and sputtering before it would run, which made me wonder if the old owner had it tuned for and was running E85. It was a theft recovery and purchased from an auction - I have no idea who the previous owner was or how to find them. I've only driven it around the block a couple times at this point. Seems to run great when started and pulls harder than I remember my old FR-S but it's been a little while, so it could be wishful thinking.

Is there an easy way to tell if it was tuned for E85?

I have a VAGII tool for my wife's Audi, which also reads generic OBDII codes but not sure what else it could do on non-Audi.
If it has a header good chance it has a tune of some sort. E85 has a different smell to gasoline. Start it up and see how it smells? Otherwise some other indicators would be a flex fuel sensor in the engine bay or with the car running pull the cruise control stick back (with cruise turned off) and watch to see if the tacho jumps to 1k, 2k, 3k or 4k rpm. That is really only if it is an ecutek tune, OFT will be harder to determine.
__________________
1974 TA22 Celica
2013 86 GT
Turdinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:59 AM   #8
gen3v8
Senior Member
 
gen3v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Drives: My18 wrxsti My19 brzts
Location: Botany Bay
Posts: 503
Thanks: 205
Thanked 422 Times in 230 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Plug in any obd tool and read the outputs ie AFR trims etc
gen3v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 07:24 AM   #9
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 64,250
Thanks: 56,951
Thanked 95,922 Times in 41,905 Posts
Mentioned: 2314 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3v8 View Post
Plug in any obd tool and read the outputs ie AFR trims etc
And compare to what? If asking the question he probably doesn't know what stock should be so just reading what is there will be of no help at all.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:06 AM   #10
WNDSRFR
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: FR-S,GTI
Location: Cocoa, Florida
Posts: 769
Thanks: 155
Thanked 526 Times in 254 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
If it has a header good chance it has a tune of some sort. E85 has a different smell to gasoline. Start it up and see how it smells? Otherwise some other indicators would be a flex fuel sensor in the engine bay or with the car running pull the cruise control stick back (with cruise turned off) and watch to see if the tacho jumps to 1k, 2k, 3k or 4k rpm. That is really only if it is an ecutek tune, OFT will be harder to determine.
I agree with the smell test. You can smell the exhaust or just smell the fuel filler hole. If it smells like a bar, it's E85.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:53 PM   #11
DarkSunrise
Senior Member
 
DarkSunrise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Drives: 13 FR-S
Location: USA
Posts: 5,419
Thanks: 1,591
Thanked 3,770 Times in 2,005 Posts
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Another vote for the smell test. On a cold start you can smell the unburnt fuel in the exhaust. With e85 it has a sweet aroma that’s easy to detect. I’d start it up in the morning and take a few whiffs of the exhaust.

There are also cheap ethanol content test kits available but you need to find a way to siphon some fuel out of the tank or fuel lines.
__________________
Build Page
"I love this car. I think we wimped out when we didn't name it Best Driver's Car." -Randy Pobst on the BRZ
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
Kiske
Senior Member
 
Kiske's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Location: KCMO
Posts: 1,967
Thanks: 841
Thanked 1,803 Times in 822 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And compare to what? If asking the question he probably doesn't know what stock should be so just reading what is there will be of no help at all.

AFR will be higher for gas. 14.7ish vs E85's 8.7ish at idle (warmed up) depending on the tune.
__________________
//2013 World Rally Blue BRZ Limited FBM Turbo
//2018 Crystal White Pearl BRZ Ts Supercharged
Kiske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:18 PM   #13
platinumEX
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Drives: '13 BRZ
Location: OH-IO
Posts: 17
Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the tips everyone. Some good ideas. Iíll check everything when I get back to it - itís in our warehouse at work and Iím home this week working on finishing/framing our basement.
platinumEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:24 AM   #14
Tcoat
He who smelt it...
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 2020 Hakone
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 64,250
Thanks: 56,951
Thanked 95,922 Times in 41,905 Posts
Mentioned: 2314 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
AFR will be higher for gas. 14.7ish vs E85's 8.7ish at idle (warmed up) depending on the tune.
Still need to know what the base was to know if it is higher or lower.
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrecked BRZ previously leased at Timmons, looking for previous owner to buy keys Sumwon Southern California 2 03-18-2020 12:03 PM
Transmission oil change 2nd time - previously amsoil Mikeez Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) 2 01-07-2017 11:47 PM
Satisfied 86 owners who've previously owned a more powerful car (Evo, STI) Veloist Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum 63 08-16-2015 12:22 PM
Questions about Catless Front Pipe (previously Need Clarification thread) JFox Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 14 05-29-2014 11:07 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.