follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
Glock_86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Turbo 14PSI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation No Communication!! ECU/ECM/PCM/BCM

So I have a 2013 Scion Frs boosted. I recently had a mishap with installing subs. As i had everything all set up and turned around to look at my radio it was off. my initial thought was that i need to turn my car on to get the radio to turn back on but sure enough as soon as i went to turn the key to start nothing happened. I began to diagnose the problem. The Accessories on the dash were flickering so i decided to just get a new battery (needed a new one anyhow). It stopped the flickering of the accessories lights on the dash but still would not start my car. So i moved onto thinking its either the starter or ignition switch. I Jumped started my starter and sure enough it was not engaging. so i went to autozone and got a brand new starter. After installing the new starter, i attempted to start the car again... nothing happened. So i went out and jumped the new starter. IT ENGAGED finally and started my car up! However, this was the only way of turning on the car as well as roll start. So, my next step was the ignition switch. I replaced it and nothing happened. After this i used a volt meter to send power to the from the ignition switch to the starter. which was working for a awhile but somehow in the process it stopped working. it would do nothing (which makes me think i locked up my car somehow with immobilizer) however i still dont know. i went out to try and jump the starter and it just sat there and cranked the engine. NO SPARK i assume. i have done the whole computer reset method by holding both positive and negative on battery together and i have done the ECU reset by putting a pin in pin 4 and 13 or whatever it is for 30 minutes... nothing. I took it to the dealership and they have no idea all they want to do is throw parts at it. They wanted me to replace the main body ECU but said they dont know for sure if that would fix it. I looked at my ECM motherboard and everything looks fine. Next step for me is to take it to Dynosty down in Kentucky and have them work on it. the last thing i have done here is used my ECUTEK tuner to check my DTC codes. this is what it shows and its all a loss of communication so some how some where something is not talking to each other. something is fried. I am no professional when it comes to this stuff and i thought a could see if you guys would know or have had personal experiences with these problems.
Attached Images

Glock_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
check yo grounds
check yo fuses
Old 04-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Reading your post... hurts...

As you were installing audio, your car stopped working, INSTEAD OF CHECKING WHAT YOU HAD DONE, you threw parts at it, that didn't work so you jumped stuff around to make it go until that stopped working.

I... have no words... I usually try to be helpful when I post, but I can't even. I feel like putting my head in the microwave.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RZNT4R For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (04-13-2020), soundman98 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 12:44 AM   #4
Glock_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
Reading your post... hurts...

As you were installing audio, your car stopped working, INSTEAD OF CHECKING WHAT YOU HAD DONE, you threw parts at it, that didn't work so you jumped stuff around to make it go until that stopped working.

I... have no words... I usually try to be helpful when I post, but I can't even. I feel like putting my head in the microwave.
For one I did not just throw parts at the car. You obviously did not read what I posted. Like I said the battery needed replaced it was a given and also my starter was bad too but it still didn’t fix the problem at hand. Please read before posting silly comments. I have as well checked my ground and all my fuses have been checked and accounted for. I even stated how the dealership wanted to throw parts at the car and I wasn’t about to let that happen lol. Just please read before commenting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Glock_86 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:32 AM   #5
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock_86 View Post
For one I did not just throw parts at the car. You obviously did not read what I posted. Like I said the battery needed replaced it was a given and also my starter was bad too but it still didn’t fix the problem at hand. Please read before posting silly comments. I have as well checked my ground and all my fuses have been checked and accounted for. I even stated how the dealership wanted to throw parts at the car and I wasn’t about to let that happen lol. Just please read before commenting.
First off, Glock_86, welcome to our forum -

Second off, please don't take your frustration out on ol @RZNT4R. I think you just overloaded his circuits, he is quite knowledgeable and usually is helpful.

Thirdly, although it seems you might have complicated the situation, I would suggest (as RZNT4R suggested) that you go back to where you were when you were installing the subs and see if what you did could have started your series of problems.

I do hope you get it sorted out.

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:42 AM   #6
Glock_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
First off, Glock_86, welcome to our forum -

Second off, please don't take your frustration out on ol @RZNT4R. I think you just overloaded his circuits, he is quite knowledgeable and usually is helpful.

Thirdly, although it seems you might have complicated the situation, I would suggest (as RZNT4R suggested) that you go back to where you were when you were installing the subs and see if what you did could have started your series of problems.

I do hope you get it sorted out.

oh no frustration. There’s just no reason for comments like that. And thank you. I’ve actually been taking my time and Been very patient with this issue. Tomorrow I’m going to look through the main body ECU, PCM. I will let you all know how this goes.
humfrz (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:54 AM   #7
Glock_86

Also I would like to mention how awesome it is to get feedback so quick from a forum. I usually have to wait a week or so before hearing anything back in other forums! So I’m glad to be apart of this one! Thanks!
humfrz (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 06:57 AM   #8
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
So I have a 2013 Scion Frs boosted. I recently had a mishap with installing subs. As i had everything all set up and turned around to look at my radio it was off. my initial thought was that i need to turn my car on to get the radio to turn back on but sure enough as soon as i went to turn the key to start nothing happened. I began to diagnose the problem. The Accessories on the dash were flickering so i decided to just get a new battery (needed a new one anyhow). It stopped the flickering of the accessories lights on the dash but still would not start my car. So i moved onto thinking its either the starter or ignition switch. I Jumped started my starter and sure enough it was not engaging. so i went to autozone and got a brand new starter. After installing the new starter, i attempted to start the car again... nothing happened. So i went out and jumped the new starter. IT ENGAGED finally and started my car up! However, this was the only way of turning on the car as well as roll start. So, my next step was the ignition switch. I replaced it and nothing happened. After this i used a volt meter to send power to the from the ignition switch to the starter. which was working for a awhile but somehow in the process it stopped working. it would do nothing (which makes me think i locked up my car somehow with immobilizer) however i still dont know. i went out to try and jump the starter and it just sat there and cranked the engine. NO SPARK i assume. i have done the whole computer reset method by holding both positive and negative on battery together and i have done the ECU reset by putting a pin in pin 4 and 13 or whatever it is for 30 minutes... nothing. I took it to the dealership and they have no idea all they want to do is throw parts at it. They wanted me to replace the main body ECU but said they dont know for sure if that would fix it. I looked at my ECM motherboard and everything looks fine. Next step for me is to take it to Dynosty down in Kentucky and have them work on it. the last thing i have done here is used my ECUTEK tuner to check my DTC codes. this is what it shows and its all a loss of communication so some how some where something is not talking to each other. something is fried. I am no professional when it comes to this stuff and i thought a could see if you guys would know or have had personal experiences with these problems.

If ecutek can read the vin amd ecu calibration id amd error codes then its talking to the ecu , well the engine ecu anyway
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 07:01 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

The main body ecu unot is not keyed to security so you can jist replace it if you think thats issue, jist get one from wreckers

But first clear the dtc codes and see which ones return.

Whwn you clear codes note any modules thtat ecutek says it cannot communicate with

Note if your manual ot wont dind auto trans computer so thats ok
Old 04-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #10
Glock_86

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
The main body ecu unot is not keyed to security so you can jist replace it if you think thats issue, jist get one from wreckers

But first clear the dtc codes and see which ones return.

Whwn you clear codes note any modules thtat ecutek says it cannot communicate with

Note if your manual ot wont dind auto trans computer so thats ok
Okay I will do this but I need to know which is my main body ECU. Kinda new to this whole thing. Like they don’t really give me a good amount of information on the internet to know which one is The Main body ECU or ECM or BCM and what not. Could you show me a picture of the main body ECU your wanting me to replace
Old 04-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #11
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Okay I will do this but I need to know which is my main body ECU. Kinda new to this whole thing. Like they don’t really give me a good amount of information on the internet to know which one is The Main body ECU or ECM or BCM and what not. Could you show me a picture of the main body ECU your wanting me to replace

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8374

Manuals above should help

Also here are some pictures of the body control from guy fixing one after problem, but yours is likely different issue

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59084
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 07:27 PM   #12
Glock_86

Okay so some steps forward here, i checked my main body ecu everything checks out motherboard looks good when I had it out I checked the fuses and I found that am1 was relocated by mistake the controls my accessories,ign,and starter. Guess I did that when I was checking fuses. Anyhow, the car still does not start but my accessories work and there is a click noise every time I move the key to start from the main body fuse box inside. Not sure if that’s a normal thing when turning the key to start or not just trying to eliminate things.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
yourpostsaresohardtoreaditshardtomakeanysenseoutof anyofit.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #14
Glock_86

Could you explain? Instead of being irrelevant. I’m trying to get an answer on what I’m dealing with as of right now. Again the question is, is the the click a normal thing when turning the ignition is turned to start position. The click is coming from main body ecu fuse box.

Tags
#can, #communication, #ecm, #ecu, #immobilizer