follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT - In Heaven Now
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Suspension In Which Order?

Yes, I have searched... Extensively (didn't say I was good at searching though). Learned a lot by the way.

13 is currently stock. I plan to keep my 17" stock wheels. This is my DD, and you could call my driving style "spirited." No plans for the track.

I'd like to lower it a bit, make it look better, increase ability to handle and flatten corners. It's an awesome car but I'd like it to turn in a touch better and *definitely* don't want to promote understeer. If anything, a touch more oversteer would be nice.

While I realize the mods I want will stiffen the ride some, I don't want it to be excessive.

My plan:
First, install either RCE or TRD Springs. (Not enough money or know-how for coilovers).
And that's where my plan ends and questions begin.

What would be the next mod? Strut bars? Antisway? If either of those, front or rear? Something else that I'm not thinking of?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
FNCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:11 PM   #2
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Buy it and then drive it. And then go from there. Excessive is relative.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
Cole (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 02:12 PM   #3
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
Yes, I have searched... Extensively (didn't say I was good at searching though). Learned a lot by the way.

13 is currently stock. I plan to keep my 17" stock wheels. This is my DD, and you could call my driving style "spirited." No plans for the track.

I'd like to lower it a bit, make it look better, increase ability to handle and flatten corners. It's an awesome car but I'd like it to turn in a touch better and *definitely* don't want to promote understeer. If anything, a touch more oversteer would be nice.

While I realize the mods I want will stiffen the ride some, I don't want it to be excessive.

My plan:
First, install either RCE or TRD Springs. (Not enough money or know-how for coilovers).
And that's where my plan ends and questions begin.

What would be the next mod? Strut bars? Antisway? If either of those, front or rear? Something else that I'm not thinking of?

What's your budget? Are you installing yourself or paying a shop?

There are some decent entry level coilovers ($800 range) that have reasonable spring rates and you might want to go that route. Tein Flex Z and the ST coilovers come to mind in that range. I currently have TRD springs and they are matched fairly well to the stock shocks.

The single best mod you can make the corner better is tires. Pilot Super Sports and Continental DW are my two favorite street tires at the moment.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #4
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Buy it and then drive it. And then go from there. Excessive is relative.
Thanks Swarb. I'm not sure what you mean though. I definitely bought it and do drive it, that's how I know I want more

Old 07-05-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
What's your budget? Are you installing yourself or paying a shop?

There are some decent entry level coilovers ($800 range) that have reasonable spring rates and you might want to go that route. Tein Flex Z and the ST coilovers come to mind in that range. I currently have TRD springs and they are matched fairly well to the stock shocks.

The single best mod you can make the corner better is tires. Pilot Super Sports and Continental DW are my two favorite street tires at the moment.
My budget is small but replenishes, which is one reason I thought I'd go with springs and add on suspension bits as I can. I've got a friend I throw a little money at who "helps" me (in reality, he does it all, I can barely change oil).

In my searching, I also read opinions that coilovers are a bit excessive for street use with stock wheels. I'm assuming you disagree here. I have no idea which is correct, if there is a correct.

So, can someone tell me why coilovers would be the answer in this situation, or can someone give me ideas on what to do after springs?

I'm open to either.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #6
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtslow View Post
My tires came with the car, but at 27k miles I don't think they're originals. I know tires are extremely important, but want to have suspension set up when I finally (2.5 days I figure) burn these to the cords.

I'd planned on going with the Pilots too!

Old 07-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #7
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
If you're not going to be racing in a class that restricts modifications, I'd go alignment > tires > springs - and I'd personally save up for a better damper + higher rate spring before messing with swaybars (put the springs on hold and save for longer...) That may be something like a Bilstein B14 package, or a RCE T0.

Tires may be more obvious than an alignment so you can probably swap those in order, especially if you're not springing for a setup that can get you over -2.

For alignment, adjustable rear lower control arms, and in front at least max out crash bolts, if not springing for adjustable top plates. You really want -2 to -2.5 up front IMO, and a single bolt won't quite get there.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:03 PM   #8
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNCrazy View Post
Thanks Swarb. I'm not sure what you mean though. I definitely bought it and do drive it, that's how I know I want more

Buy springs, install them, and then drive it. Balance will be changed and then go from there. Maybe springs alone will get you to where you want it.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swarb For This Useful Post:
FNCrazy (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #9
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
Buy springs, install them, and then drive it. Balance will be changed and then go from there. Maybe springs alone will get you to where you want it.
Oh! OK, I'm with you! I guess I just assumed I'd want to keep going, so I was asking what was next. Obviously if one mod ended up getting the car feeling like I want I'd stop there. Thanks for clarifying!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #10
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Cjd,

I'm working on sorting out what you mean, but I don't think I'm going to be able to work out the last paragraph. I just don't have that kind of brain power. Can someone explain that like they're talking to an 11 year old?

Old 07-05-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
MeisterR

Drives: BNR32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What do you want to do with the car first?
Because that is the most important thing.

If you just want to lower the car so it looks better, lowering springs will do the job.
If you actually want the car to perform better, then an adjustable damper coilovers is pretty much the easiest way.

I personally tend to stay away from thicker sway / anti-roll bars, because I rather to have a springs rate that is sensible and use the adjustable damper force to control the dynamics of the car, which is what going to give better performance.

Jerrick
MeisterR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 03:26 PM   #12
gtslow

Drives: 2015 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
READ READ READ SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH

This Forum, Howstuffworks, etc. Go to meets and ride in other people's cars.

Save money.

Read some more.

Then spend money.
gtslow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtslow For This Useful Post:
crakajakz (07-07-2016), FNCrazy (07-05-2016), strat61caster (07-05-2016), swarb (07-05-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #13
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
springs + camber bolts and alignment to increase front camber to >-1 degree (if possible), zero toe front, a touch of toe in the rear.

Then drive the piss out of it for awhile and figure out what it's lacking next.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Cole (07-05-2016), jawn (07-06-2016)
Old 07-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
FNCrazy
Rambling Man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterR View Post
What do you want to do with the car first?
Because that is the most important thing.

If you just want to lower the car so it looks better, lowering springs will do the job.
If you actually want the car to perform better, then an adjustable damper coilovers is pretty much the easiest way.

I personally tend to stay away from thicker sway / anti-roll bars, because I rather to have a springs rate that is sensible and use the adjustable damper force to control the dynamics of the car, which is what going to give better performance.

Jerrick
That makes sense. Other than cost, what's made me shy away from coilovers, is the adjustments. I don't know what the hell I'm doing, even if I could figure out how to adjust them.

If I did get them, would that help the turn in and flatter cornering, maybe a touch less understeer?