follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2016, 10:23 AM   #1
Jayson

Drives: 2016 Scion Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Tuning in the area ?

Hey Guys ! I have been lurking for a while. I have ordered my 2016 FR-S and should be here in 4-8 weeks.

I have started to make my decision on my exhaust setup and now wondering where in do you guys go to tune your vehicles ? Im not to familiar with the process but mainly know about Ecutek and etc...

Let me know, looking to make friends in the community. I am located in New York City.
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jayson For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #2
UchihaFanBoy

Drives: 16 BRZ,99 Forester,13 FRS(RIP)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't waste your money on tuning if your not doing a full exhaust set like Headers,over pipe etc..if it's just cat back...
UchihaFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
SubaruLifer

Drives: 2015 ISM BRZ Premium
Garage
Open Flash Tablet (OFT)
Old 04-06-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
Jayson

Drives: 2016 Scion Fr-S
Yea my plan is to get the UEL Borla or JDL headers with a catback.
Jayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:28 AM   #5
Tbor

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
if you have no plans on going FI anytime soon, i would get an OFT. I am very happy with the results.

Gets rid of the torque dip and response over all feels way better.
Tbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
seant2h

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT LTD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbor View Post
if you have no plans on going FI anytime soon, i would get an OFT. I am very happy with the results.

Gets rid of the torque dip and response over all feels way better.
I second this... I should bought an OFT over a year ago right when I got the car but I waited and put that money towards headers, exhaust, etc. and now that I have an OFT I wish I pulled the trigger right away before the other mods.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
Aozora.BRZ

Drives: '15 WRB Series.Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UchihaFanBoy View Post
Don't waste your money on tuning if your not doing a full exhaust set like Headers,over pipe etc..if it's just cat back...
While I agree that there are other things were he can better spend his money right now, a tune while stock is not worthless.

My car's drivetrain is completely stock except for a TRD Catback. I only have an EcuTek canned stock tune from Mike @ MotoEast. Car ran 178hp/150tq yesterday on R/T Tuning's dynojet. The shop and I were surprised as this was just a baseline I wanted before getting a real dyno tune from Mike with a full exhaust/intake installed and e85 later in the month.

For a second the shop thought I had some record for a stock 86 at their dyno until I told them I had the EcuTek tune!

Keeping in mind that we didn't datalog to refine the tune and I even had the stock filter on, I would say that is damn good for a stock tune.

Back to back runs at 65F and 11% humidity.

Do run your car for a while before getting it tuned. At least let it break in, man!

If you know you will be upgrading things over time getting a tuning device or tune won't hurt. I got it early because of a good promotion + EcuTek has other nice features.
If you go for an EcuTek tune I recommend @moto-mike. He does remote tuning.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
Yea my plan is to get the UEL Borla or JDL headers with a catback.

Avoid the borla, JDL, Gruppe-S/tomei or nothing else, for the price of the borla you can get the gruppe-S, new OEM gaskets, and overpipe and a oil pan heat shield:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81839

The gruppe is the tomei just distributed differently, a gruppe uel and an OFT with stage 2 91 or 93 tune will seriously even out the cars torque dip
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
2ZZW30

Drives: 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Speaking strictly on tuning, both Andy at R/T Tuning and Mike at Moto-East are great at tuning these cars with ECUTek.
2ZZW30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #10
Xero-Limit

Drives: JDL Turbo FRS, 335SC BRZ (ret)
Thanked 1,547 Times in 525 Posts
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
Hey Guys ! I have been lurking for a while. I have ordered my 2016 FR-S and should be here in 4-8 weeks.

I have started to make my decision on my exhaust setup and now wondering where in do you guys go to tune your vehicles ? Im not to familiar with the process but mainly know about Ecutek and etc...

Let me know, looking to make friends in the community. I am located in New York City.
We get TONS of folks from NYC/NJ coming over this way for tuning. Being right off I78 and 5 minutes over the border into PA, it sometimes takes less time to go the 65 miles to us then to get across the lincoln tunnel. We also have a bus stop a mile away that we do drop offs/pickups at which goes right to penn station in manhattan. So you can drive over, catch the bus back, then come back for the car when its done and we'll pick you up! We only tune via EcuTek though. With the tablet it takes far too much time to be able to program and analyze the data, so any cost savings are immediately lost when paying for time tuning.

Also as @Aozora.BRZ mentioned, a remote tune works wonders too. RaceROM features and smoothing out the power curve are a big plus, add a header and you're really in business. Tomei is great, JDL UEL is my personal favorite, but be careful with non-resonated cat backs when combined with a header and front pipe upgrades. It will be LOUD. The invidia q300 is a common favorite for those who want to hear things over the exhaust and still keep it free-flowing.
Xero-Limit is offline   Reply With Quote