follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 01-15-2016, 01:46 PM   #561
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
On my second tank of gas after installing the e-force s/c, I didn't count the first tank because I was enjoying the car a bit too much to be a fair comparison.

Pre-s/c, last fill up:
25.10mpg

Post s/c, second fill up:
19.56mpg
Post s/c third fill up:
20.05mpg
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djdnz For This Useful Post:
86 South Africa (01-16-2016), azian_advanced (01-17-2016)
Old 01-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #562
Nitro22

Drives: Scion FR-S (Hot Lava)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
What is everyone using as an oil cooler solution with the Edelbrock supercharger?
Here's mine from a previous post.
Nitro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:34 AM   #563
EJ.
e85!

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
17.9 mpg on e76
Scion FR-S M/T | HRI Tuned - AMS Catted Header - DW 700cc injectors - DW 265lph Fuel Pump - MotoEast Flex Fuel Kit - Greddy Evolution GT Catback Exhaust - Exedy Stage 2 Clutch - Edelbrock Supercharger
EJ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #564
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdnz View Post
Post s/c third fill up:
20.05mpg
Sounds like you're having a lot of fun out there.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #565
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Anyone missing parts from your Edelbrock kit? I set aside this weekend to do my install. I checked my parts list at the beginning of the book as suggested in the instructions, all good... then I get to the part where you install the tube that holds the MAF sensor and there are no couplers! I check the parts list, sure enough not there! WTF? The hand checked off list included with the kit shows checks next to couplers, but they are not in the parts list at the beginning of the instructions... nor in my kit. Bummed!!

The other hang up I found was the included MAF sensor bolts, which are M4x10mm are wayyyy too long. I went to the hardware store and fitted some M4x6mm and they are just right, any longer would not work(I tried 8mm, didn't fit).

I hope Edelbrock is open tomorrow so I can get the parts ASAP....
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #566
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
I'd get 24-25 mpg when I drove conservatively; lately it's been 20-21 mpg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
What is everyone using as an oil cooler solution with the Edelbrock supercharger?
2014 Forester 2.0XT FA20DIT OEM oil cooler because why not:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Anyone missing parts from your Edelbrock kit?
Mine was missing the 1" sheet metal plug from Bag #4. Found what looks like the same part pictured in their instructions at [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PEZS37I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailp ages00"]1" 1 inch Flush Mount Black Plastic Body and Sheet Metal Hole Plug Qty 10 - - Amazon.com[/ame]
Old 01-17-2016, 05:45 PM   #567
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
The other hang up I found was the included MAF sensor bolts, which are M4x10mm are wayyyy too long. I went to the hardware store and fitted some M4x6mm and they are just right, any longer would not work(I tried 8mm, didn't fit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Mine was missing the 1" sheet metal plug from Bag #4. Found what looks like the same part pictured in their instructions at 1" 1 inch Flush Mount Black Plastic Body and Sheet Metal Hole Plug Qty 10 - - Amazon.com
Hmmm, now that you guys mention it, during the install, we also ran into the MAF screws being too long, but we thought the holes on the MAF tube were too shallow. We ended up just using some washers to make them work, have not had any problems with it. I was also missing the plug for the hole left by the noise generator. I already had the cigarette lighter plug on there, so no biggie.

A minor niggle to an otherwise awesome kit I guess.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:46 PM   #568
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
I just realized the separate parts check list included with the instruction book that looks like someone manually checked off is only a print out, it's not actually a hand checked list... nice, that explains how they missed something...

Turns out you can't get the parts from Edelbrock directly, you have to go through your retailer, just adds more time to get this resolved, meanwhile I'm without a car and it's in pieces.

To all future owners, check every part in the actual step by step instructions against what you have first, their check list is incomplete. This will save you the hassle I'm going through right now...
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 AM   #569
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What's the verdict on custom tunes from say moto east or delicious compared to the CARB tune? I've seen the delicious dyno showing ~10hp/10lbft increases throughout but that's something I would not notice (didn't even notice anything going to e85 from CA 91oct). Aside from that, does the car just drive "better"?

Read back a few pages about surging at light throttle, woudl that be something a custom tune would address?

The answer to custom tunes will help me decide where I'll be getting my kit from. It would be easier if there were just one helpful vendor, but they're all pretty cool haha
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:31 AM   #570
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
What's the verdict on custom tunes from say moto east or delicious compared to the CARB tune? I've seen the delicious dyno showing ~10hp/10lbft increases throughout but that's something I would not notice (didn't even notice anything going to e85 from CA 91oct). Aside from that, does the car just drive "better"?

Read back a few pages about surging at light throttle, woudl that be something a custom tune would address?

The answer to custom tunes will help me decide where I'll be getting my kit from. It would be easier if there were just one helpful vendor, but they're all pretty cool haha
You'll see a bit of a difference with the Delicious tune.

If you didn't notice E85 vs CA 91... I'm not sure you'd notice the SC either...

If you already have a Flex Fuel kit, you definitely want to get a Delicious tune with your kit.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
clayrush (01-20-2016), tracerit (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #571
pandamancer

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6M Ultramarine
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
What are people's general criteria for judging the reliability of this kit?

I know there are a good number of folks running boost(turbo and SC) so within a reasonable power level(~300hp it seems) the stock engine is alright. Tune is obviously a MAJOR factor, so let's assume the Edelbrock CARB tune or a utility-tweaked tune from a reputable tuner like Delicious. Would most of you say after maybe 20-30 people have logged 5-10k miles over 6 months-1 year we would have a good idea of the failure rate of these systems(all parts included)?

I would also hope those same 20-30 people have some track days on the systems to truly validate track durability as well.
pandamancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:39 AM   #572
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post

I've thought about getting the delicious tune but decided to hold off. Wasn't too impressed by the power bump for the price, mostly was curious of the racerom features. I've been pretty happy with the CARB tune so far, so I think I'll hold off until I'm ready for flexfuel.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
tracerit (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #573
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

If you already have a Flex Fuel kit, you definitely want to get a Delicious tune with your kit.
Whoa! How serious are you with this remark here? I guess I should mention I was only running an OFT tune with modified MAF scaling, not Flex Fuel + custom tune. My whole idea of going with a SC kit is to gain more torque, and since the E85 didn't provide a noticeable enough improvement, I wanted to go all in or not at all. Now I'm hearing this may not be the answer? I did sit in @shiumai's super clean BRZ (thanks again bud!) but only as passenger. Was thoroughly impressed with the pulls, lack of whine and the overall cleanness the kit brings with it. Ugh... I hate doubts like these :/ but I've made mistakes costing me more than ~$5000 before so i think I'm still on board.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tracerit For This Useful Post:
shiumai (01-20-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 03:07 AM   #574
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

I was also surprised @tracerit didn't notice...

Getting my car back tomorrow with headers + FF kit + Delicious tune. I am pretty sure I will feel the diff.

And just to keep it on topic - the plan is to go Edelbrock in future too (which will obviously mean another Delicious tune as I don't need the CARB tune + will have the FF kit already )