follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #127
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Nobody is calling anybody a caveman for liking MT better.

I drive like an asshat every chance I get.

For the record ever car I have owned for over 30 years has been a MT.
Such a caveman dont even know you're and asshat

Quote:
My point in these debates is the constant instance that MT is more fun as if shifting is the only aspect of driving. It isn’t.
If talking MT over AT in almost any other car I would sing a different song but the ATs in these are not your average Corolla and the car can be every bit as fun. Demeaning people that go AT with comments such as “don’t know how to drive” is not going to save the MT from extinction in the Western Hemisphere no matter how passionate a very small minority may be in the subject.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
Old 01-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #128
HSUBLU

Drives: 2017 BRZ WR Blue
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Humfrz first language!
I mean, between humfrz, tcoat, and ultramaroon, the three of you have probably been around for all the languages.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:45 PM   #129
Lifer1988

Drives: 2017 Ice Silver BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I bought the auto. Never driven a manual. I can learn and drive it manually like the rest of you manual drivers if I wanted to. Just never bother to learn manual and I like the auto with paddle shifters. It's definitely fun to use them sometimes.
Its my daily so I dont want to always have to keep my mind on the stick when I drive.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #130
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
I only buy manuals because that's the best anti-theft device out there.
There was literally a news story about this in my home town a few months ago. Two guys car jacked a car and only made it a few blocks before abandoning the car because they couldn't drive it. The guys were caught too.

Here, found it:
https://www.news4jax.com/news/crime/...ter-carjacking
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
8RZ (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:55 PM   #131
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
I only buy manuals because that's the best anti-theft device out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
There was literally a news story about this in my home town a few months ago. Two guys car jacked a car and only made it a few blocks before abandoning the car because they couldn't drive it. The guys were caught too.

Here, found it:
https://www.news4jax.com/news/crime/...ter-carjacking

Story Time

Back in college I parked in the generally parking as we only had one assigned spot. I walked through some bushes to get to my building and I'm pretty sure my lanyard got caught without me realizing and my keys got left next to the car overnight. Next day I go outside thinking I maybe locked them in the car (not yet knowing what happened) and found my car unlocked and my backpack missing. My keys were on the front windshield. Looked more closely and the car was in 6th gear. Don't think they could figure out where reverse was even if they could drive stick lol. Saved my car that night.

Lesson: Don't keep your car keys on a lanyard.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
8RZ (02-01-2018), Ultramaroon (02-01-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:56 PM   #132
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer1988 View Post
Its my daily so I dont want to always have to keep my mind on the stick when I drive.
You actually touch on another point. MT keeps people from totally zoning out while driving. I hear parents say they don't want their kids to drive a manual because it's too much to handle at once (often coming from parents that don't even know how to drive MT). True it is a bit overwhelming to take on all aspects of driving all at once and also throw a manual on top of that. But in the end I think it's safer for kids because it makes it harder to zone out or have both hands free to do makeup, text, ect ect.

My oldest kid is 16 so I have been teaching her to drive manual and it's been interesting. You forget how much is involved with driving (not just related to the manual) until you start teaching your kids. One of the things I love about driving is even after decades of doing it there is still something to learn or ways to improve. Especially if you are racing. I am enjoying passing these things down and look forward to taking her to some autoxes over the summer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (01-31-2018), Jordanwolf (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 04:57 PM   #133
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Story Time

Back in college I parked in the generally parking as we only had one assigned spot. I walked through some bushes to get to my building and I'm pretty sure my lanyard got caught without me realizing and my keys got left next to the car overnight. Next day I go outside thinking I maybe locked them in the car (not yet knowing what happened) and found my car unlocked and my backpack missing. My keys were on the front windshield. Looked more closely and the car was in 6th gear. Don't think they could figure out where reverse was even if they could drive stick lol. Saved my car that night.

Lesson: Don't keep your car keys on a lanyard.
Hahaha. Wow, great story. Very lucky.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #134
HSUBLU

Drives: 2017 BRZ WR Blue
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
You actually touch on another point. MT keeps people from totally zoning out while driving. I hear parents say they don't want their kids to drive a manual because it's too much to handle at once (often coming from parents that don't even know how to drive MT). True it is a bit overwhelming to take on all aspects of driving all at once and also throw a manual on top of that. But in the end I think it's safer for kids because it makes it harder to zone out or have both hands free to do makeup, text, ect ect.

My oldest kid is 16 so I have been teaching her to drive manual and it's been interesting. You forget how much is involved with driving (not just related to the manual) until you start teaching your kids. One of the things I love about driving is even after decades of doing it there is still something to learn or ways to improve. Especially if you are racing. I am enjoying passing these things down and look forward to taking her to some autoxes over the summer.
So I don't know if it helps your point but I totally don't think about shifting or the clutch pedal when I'm driving - it just becomes another one of those things I just do and not really think about, much like turning the steering wheel or flipping the turn signal stalk, the actions just happen and most of the time I'm not fully conscious of having made the decision because it just happened.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:08 PM   #135
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
To make anyone who got an auto feel better in the mornings when I'm super tired I don't always shift as cleanly as I would like. If I didn't have a MT then I wouldn't have to worry about teaching my wife to drive stick on the FRS if I for whatever reason was unable to drive it. If my car was an auto I would probably drive a little slower and not collect so many speeding tickets. MT life is great but it has its downsides also. So embrace your AT because it's totally fun also.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:45 PM   #136
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I do this thing called zombie shifting... I'm sure it's more of a personal problem, but damn near fell asleep in boring traffic while still shifting.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:00 PM   #137
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I didn't sat it was better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
How are you any better with your "AT better than MT" mindset? You are a pot calling the kettle black.

Enjoy your paddles friend-o.
In fact, I pointed out the biggest problem with AT versus MT... No launch control. Unless someone figures out how to setup a trans brake on this platform you're pretty much screwed launching...

Jaden
Old 01-31-2018, 06:08 PM   #138
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I didn't say it was better...
Quote:
Ever since paddle shift autos have come on the scene there's really no reason to have a manual. A manual will never shift as quickly as an auto. The fastest cars are auto. That whole "well the stock auto is slower than the manual" thing doesn't really apply because if you aren't modding this car then there's really no point in caring which it is.

The auto trans can handle more power without modding or replacing it. How much does it cost to upgrade the clutch?

It seems that the people who argue about mt superiority are really just afraid that they'll disappear...lol There's a good reason for that. They are inferior, they are inferior in a straight line and they are inferior in other driving as well.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:13 PM   #139
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
You're taking that out of context...

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
In that regard they are inferior. Are you claiming that a manual 6 speed is better than a dual clutch auto?*caveat emptor, this is not a mindset, this is a fact. In every measurable respect, modern PERFORMANCE autos ARE better than sticks.

The specific reference is the 86 AT vs MT. In which case, the AT has a major downfall in its inability to launch; however, In anything but a dig, I'll bet on an AT with the same amount of WHP.

With two similarly skilled drivers.

Jaden

p.s. In the past its been arguable that sticks were better at least in time attack and autox and the like. This was because they had more gears and it was easier to control revs and what not. With modern 6,7 and 8 speed autos with paddle shifters, this is no longer the case.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:25 PM   #140
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
In that regard they are inferior. Are you claiming that a manual 6 speed is better than a dual clutch auto?*caveat emptor, this is not a mindset, this is a fact. In every measurable respect, modern PERFORMANCE autos ARE better than sticks.

The specific reference is the 86 AT vs MT. In which case, the AT has a major downfall in its inability to launch; however, In anything but a dig, I'll bet on an AT with the same amount of WHP.

With two similarly skilled drivers.

Jaden
Now you are just moving goal posts. Bringing up dual clutch autos, only including PERFORMANCE auto transmissions with your statement, and ignoring that fact that a automatic 86 can't launch.

I've never claimed that one transmission is better than another. My original comment was just pointing out that you were claiming that automatics are better than manuals. Obviously you arent trying to deny that right?

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, why i bought