follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Fred E

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT_BRZ View Post
Dug into the E85 kits more. Looks like Delicious tuning is doing a cool event near me for a week. So I might get that sooner than I expected. Did some more digging around and found cheaper prices on the JE pistons too. So that looks like it will stay for sure. It also looks like the Delicious tuning kit changes the map as it reads the E85 too so I can get that part done now.

As for turbo versus supercharger, I'm having a harder time picking between the two. So it seems that right now E85 with 10.5:1 compression is okay for turbo. But will be harder for a supercharger to manage. One part of me wants to turbo and go for it because those engine bays look awesome and the ability to go higher boost for more power down the road is a plus. I'll check some more literature out to see if I can understand this more. Being in California, I have no idea how turbos affect emissions and I know the Edelbrock has a map I can use to pass!

Either way, looks like I'm gonna have a fun road trip when I get this build together!
Yeah, passing emissions in California will be difficult with any turbo kit besides the WORKS kit. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what everyone else does over there to pass; try asking in your local forum or Facebook group for other opinions as I'm sure there are thousands of CARB violating turbocharged twins driving around California.
Fred E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 08:44 AM   #16
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT_BRZ View Post
Any recommendations or places you would get the pump and injectors?
I always like to support the venders that are here on the forum supporting it.
I would talk to Neal at "The Racers Line". He supports this forum, actively races his 86, can do and supply anything you need, and is close to you.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #17
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeeStacks View Post
Edelbrock’s tune is not designed for a built motor and could cause damage to your built engine.

Can you explain this?
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #18
gtengr

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
Yeah, passing emissions in California will be difficult with any turbo kit besides the WORKS kit. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what everyone else does over there to pass;
New cars don't have to be tested for the first several years. It varies by state, and I think it's 6 years in CA (metro areas may be more strict, but I'm not sure about that).
gtengr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtengr For This Useful Post:
Fred E (03-23-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #19
mkivsoopra

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Since you'll be tracking this car, you should come out to our 86DRIVE Challenge events. At minimum, you can checkout some of the cars... we have everything from NA, FI, to engine swaps. Maybe you'll even decide to stay NA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/86drivechallenge/
http://www.86drivechallenge.com/

Our next event is on 4/28 at Thunderhill West.
mkivsoopra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #20
BAT_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ "sti"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkivsoopra View Post
Since you'll be tracking this car, you should come out to our 86DRIVE Challenge events. At minimum, you can checkout some of the cars... we have everything from NA, FI, to engine swaps. Maybe you'll even decide to stay NA

https://www.facebook.com/groups/86drivechallenge/
http://www.86drivechallenge.com/

Our next event is on 4/28 at Thunderhill West.
mkivsoopra - I hit you guys up on FB. Will try and schedule it in. Was gonna try and hit Laguna on the 30th of this month with NCRC but I don't think I can.
BAT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BAT_BRZ For This Useful Post:
mkivsoopra (03-21-2018)
Old 03-21-2018, 10:06 PM   #21
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred E View Post
Yeah, passing emissions in California will be difficult with any turbo kit besides the WORKS kit. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what everyone else does over there to pass; try asking in your local forum or Facebook group for other opinions as I'm sure there are thousands of CARB violating turbocharged twins driving around California.
People don't know this, but not everywhere in Cali has annoying smog laws. The bad laws are where geography and population density conspire to produce smog at ground level. Where I live no smog checks are required ever
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NRXRaptor For This Useful Post:
Fred E (03-23-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #22
D-rek07

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Have you done anymore on this? I want to do this to my car but for now I'm living vicariously through you.
D-rek07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-rek07 For This Useful Post:
dillanp86 (04-03-2018)

Tags
automatic, build, built motor, engine, fa20